The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-08-2019, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Default My new guitar is a,..

Bike. It was a adi/rosewood 00 or a bike.

I don't enjoy most forms of exercise but I do like to bike, haven't done it for years tho. At 68 it was time to do some maintenance so this summer (up in MN in the woods) I bought a used Surly Pugsley off Craigs List, it's the first fat tire bike offered for sale, extreme touring expedition bike they say. Great for gravel, snow and backwoods trails around the cabin. I've grown pretty attached to it.

But it's a bike for MN and now we're back in GA and i wanted to carry on the exercise, I'm feeling a lot better for it. Lot's of rolling resistance in those huge tires. Stopped in to Loose Nuts, small bike shop in ATL to see about sizing and and ordering a Surly Bridge Club model that is coming out next month. But, they had a Surly Ogre in my size, $250 bump,.. right there in front of me, RED,.. my size, what could I do?

Real deal steel frame, a heathy bike. Surly's are cool.

https://surlybikes.com/bikes/ogre

Old 10-10-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
Bike. It was a adi/rosewood 00 or a bike.

I don't enjoy most forms of exercise but I do like to bike, haven't done it for years tho. At 68 it was time to do some maintenance so this summer (up in MN in the woods) I bought a used Surly Pugsley off Craigs List, it's the first fat tire bike offered for sale, extreme touring expedition bike they say. Great for gravel, snow and backwoods trails around the cabin. I've grown pretty attached to it.

But it's a bike for MN and now we're back in GA and i wanted to carry on the exercise, I'm feeling a lot better for it. Lot's of rolling resistance in those huge tires. Stopped in to Loose Nuts, small bike shop in ATL to see about sizing and and ordering a Surly Bridge Club model that is coming out next month. But, they had a Surly Ogre in my size, $250 bump,.. right there in front of me, RED,.. my size, what could I do?

Real deal steel frame, a heathy bike. Surly's are cool.

https://surlybikes.com/bikes/ogre

Sweet new guitar! Steel rigid bikes are great and I"m sure you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of that. I've still got a Surly 1x1 single speed that must be about 15 year old and still going, though it does beat me up on really technical trails. You should post this up on the mtbr site! Enjoy.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Very cool. Congrats.....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-10-2019, 08:48 AM

how do you change the bridge pins???
Old 10-10-2019, 08:59 AM

Good pickup on that thing just before the bridge. I moved, at least for now, from high pressure narrow tires to BIG ones on my Plug gravel bike which I only ride on the road. Much smoother riding, and studies have shown that there is not too much of a difference in rolling resistance. I do inflate the big tires over their limit, which must cut down on resistance. Almost 3000 km on those tires...no flats, great traction, very little wear. Enjoy the bike man.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:04 AM

That Ogre is a very versatile bike. Can be used for recreation/fitness on or off road, bike packing, touring, commuting, pretty much anything. Outfitted with racks and accessories as you see fit, an open ended platform.
Great choice.
I love riding bicycles for so many reasons. Have for my entire life.
The greatest form of transportation invented by us, IMO.

Family and Friends
Bikes for commuting, touring, recreation
Hiking
Gardening
Playing banjo and acoustic guitar
Woodworking/building

Are my favorite ways to spend my time.
I sometimes ride my bike with my Guild Jumbo Junior on my back.
Have fun !
Old 10-10-2019, 09:52 AM

Nice. I love that sort of bike. I was looking at that model a few years ago but a mint Fargo came up at a tremendous price. My wife took that over so I got another do it all - Kona Sutra.

This is a really sweet time to ride. The pics here are my do it all on a loop I do from my driveway that's road, single track, the ski club, and city park. I can't send it like on my trail bike but I wouldn't ride that on that much pavement either.

I'm about to do a trail ride before more work and rain that's due later. I sprained my wrist two weeks ago so it will be second time on the trail bike. If on the brake hoods only drop bars have been easier.

Enjoy that thing in good health! Get it tubeless, add a frame bag, pack your stuff and get gone!

Old 10-10-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pf400 View Post
Good pickup on that thing just before the bridge. I moved, at least for now, from high pressure narrow tires to BIG ones on my Plug gravel bike which I only ride on the road. Much smoother riding, and studies have shown that there is not too much of a difference in rolling resistance. I do inflate the big tires over their limit, which must cut down on resistance. Almost 3000 km on those tires...no flats, great traction, very little wear. Enjoy the bike man.
You should convert to tubeless tires if your rims are suitable. That will aid rolling resistance, control, comfort, and of course resistance to flat tires.

Warning: It's a deep rabbit hole but the bicycle rolling resistance site will show you some tires roll better than others. Other stuff out that will show the advantages of tubeless tires.

As a commuter I'm convinced I'm less prone to flats with the lower pressure regardless of tubeless or not. My unexpected favorite tire for gravel and do it all is the MSO that was old Clement brand and now Donnelly. Once rolling on pavement they are super. They're super on snow and dirt for how well the roll. No sealant leaks from the sidewalls.

These are like that worth it to have really great guitar strings.... Imagine that 1970s raised rib touring tire. Then add modern sipes, tubeless, and high performance rubber.

https://www.donnellycycling.com/coll...=1595510620178
Old 10-10-2019, 10:28 AM

https://www.theadventurejunkies.com/...cycle-touring/
Old 10-11-2019, 07:02 AM

Congratulations! Fat bikes are cool looking, but the talk of rolling resistance and going tubeless begs the following questions:

1: how much does it weigh, and;
2: what’s the gearing? I like that it’s a 1x and I’m envious of that cassette.

FWIW I just sent it over the bars about a month ago on a sudden singletrack surprise with my hardtail. I jacked my right thumb (which made shifting a chore) but am on the mend and looking forward to riding in brisker weather up here in PA. You FL/GA boys can keep your heat!
Old 10-11-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
Congratulations! Fat bikes are cool looking, but the talk of rolling resistance and going tubeless begs the following questions:

1: how much does it weigh, and;
2: what’s the gearing? I like that it’s a 1x and I’m envious of that cassette.

FWIW I just sent it over the bars about a month ago on a sudden singletrack surprise with my hardtail. I jacked my right thumb (which made shifting a chore) but am on the mend and looking forward to riding in brisker weather up here in PA. You FL/GA boys can keep your heat!
Light weight is over rated for the bike and under rated for your body.

IIRC, Ogres were 30+ when I was looking BUT they were not 1x that year. Tubeless can weigh less or more depending on your tires and sealant. It's superior regardless. More traction, less rolling resistance in most cases, more comfort, and a basic puncture seals up in moments.

On the 1x, you can do that the poor man's route with 10 speed and now with NX group a whole bike. I've had our Honzo poor man's 1x from the beginning with Deore or less parts. It only got some SLX parts when it had worn and broken stuff replaced because an end of season bargain made that cheaper.

Know this. When I'm alone with the adventure or do it all 1x bike the range and gear splits are always fine. My wife and son have 2x 10 speed on similar Salsa and Raleigh bikes. In a headwind or long climb I can be moving to gears above and below where they are. That said, I still like the simplicity for a bike that does all surfaces, all weather, and all seasons.

The Ogre flat bars give me more confidence with some trail stuff but I use the drops for longer rides into the wind and faster commutes. My most common commute is 5 mi more downhill with tailwind and of course that means going home is the opposite. No rights or wrongs on this stuff.

The secret to bikes and bike parts is a wife the same height as you who is really into it.

This one doesn't carry stuff like an Ogre but it's poor man's 1x and has done commute and adventure ride duty. I still have the poor man's wheels but we recycled some high end hubs with wide rims in this photo. It gets parked at the high school and it's quite "sendy" for a steel 29r. Everything's pretty basic except for parts that really count.

Old 10-11-2019, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Nice looking bikes. I look forward to the day I can get back on mine....

D
Old 10-13-2019, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Great looking bikes!

I bought a pair of workout padded fingerless gloves (also for biking) that have wrist support, a real blessing for guitar playing (i gig every week). Haven't had sore wrists since I bought them.

Still looking for appropriate trails around me here in Woodstock, ga. Lot's of MTN bike trails, I guess I'm more interested in unpaved bike paths, but the search is the fun.

Old 10-13-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Light weight is over rated for the bike and under rated for your body.

IIRC, Ogres were 30+ when I was looking BUT they were not 1x that year. Tubeless can weigh less or more depending on your tires and sealant. It's superior regardless. More traction, less rolling resistance in most cases, more comfort, and a basic puncture seals up in moments.

On the 1x, you can do that the poor man's route with 10 speed and now with NX group a whole bike. I've had our Honzo poor man's 1x from the beginning with Deore or less parts. It only got some SLX parts when it had worn and broken stuff replaced because an end of season bargain made that cheaper.

Know this. When I'm alone with the adventure or do it all 1x bike the range and gear splits are always fine. My wife and son have 2x 10 speed on similar Salsa and Raleigh bikes. In a headwind or long climb I can be moving to gears above and below where they are. That said, I still like the simplicity for a bike that does all surfaces, all weather, and all seasons.

The Ogre flat bars give me more confidence with some trail stuff but I use the drops for longer rides into the wind and faster commutes. My most common commute is 5 mi more downhill with tailwind and of course that means going home is the opposite. No rights or wrongs on this stuff.

The secret to bikes and bike parts is a wife the same height as you who is really into it.

This one doesn't carry stuff like an Ogre but it's poor man's 1x and has done commute and adventure ride duty. I still have the poor man's wheels but we recycled some high end hubs with wide rims in this photo. It gets parked at the high school and it's quite "sendy" for a steel 29r. Everything's pretty basic except for parts that really count.

Very nice. I've just about "broken in" my 2019 Trek Marlin 7. I probably have no business on singletrack but it's clear I don't need a 3x9 groupset. I've been living on the 40t front cog and feeling most comfortable there so I'm looking hard at the Deore 1x10 groupset. I may just change the crank and get a 38t cog and see how the stock cassette serves me in a 1x.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

The Other Surly, a Pugsley. This was this summer's Craigs List find, the Pugsley was the first fat tire bike. Wasn't looking for a fat tire bike but the price was right and it's perfect for the trails around our MN cabin. This thing glides over rough ground. Lots of fun.

I dig the Surly sensibility,..

"Maximalist off-road tourists, explorers looking to get off the beaten path, and survivalists for whom being stranded isn’t an option will all appreciate Pugsley’s wide footprint, long and stable wheelbase, and plethora of accessory mounts.

Since way back in twenty-aught-three, Pugsley has seen it all: intercontinental bikepacking trips, bushwhacking at its finest, mirages in the desert, and countless souls taking on the Arrowhead 135 ultra-endurance race. It’s seen some, shall we say, sticky situations, but it always finds its way out. Its proven track record gives it the calling card as the quintessential fat tire expedition bike.

“Any bike will get you out there. Pugsley will get you home.”

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic