The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-06-2019, 03:49 PM

Default Carbon Composite Guitar Question

Sorry for my ignorance with this question - I've only experienced wood.

However, my wife is expressing interest in a Rainsong parlor guitar. She'd prefer not to have to amp it, and I'm wondering how this will play without the electronic help. The Youtube videos sound surprisingly excellent for a guitar this small, but how will the tonal quality and volume hold up without amplification?

Also, will volume be comparable to a similarly sized wood acoustic?

Your knowledge is sure appreciated - thanks!
Old 10-06-2019, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ715 View Post
Sorry for my ignorance with this question - I've only experienced wood.

However, my wife is expressing interest in a Rainsong parlor guitar. She'd prefer not to have to amp it, and I'm wondering how this will play without the electronic help. The Youtube videos sound surprisingly excellent for a guitar this small, but how will the tonal quality and volume hold up without amplification?

Also, will volume be comparable to a similarly sized wood acoustic?

Your knowledge is sure appreciated - thanks!
RainSong carbon guitars are easily as loud as similarly-sized, all-solid-wood, counterpart models. Let me suggest a RainSong OM model over a Parlor model to get a fuller tone and resonance.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 10-06-2019, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

Things may have changed since I had a RainSong. I bought a Shorty years ago (their OM size). About 12 minutes after I bought that Shorty, RainSong came out with their parlor size. When I played a RS parlor, I was surprised how similar to the Shorty it sounded; perhaps a bit warmer.

The RS parlor is a nice guitar; certainly holds its own against any similar size wood guitar. Another consideration would be the Emerald X7 - it is their smaller size CF guitar and also has good volume and tone, and great ergonomics.

A Composite Acoustics Cargo is another parlor size guitar, with a slightly shorter scale. Those who have them seem to be very happy with them.

One more fine consideration would be the McPherson Touring guitar, their smaller size CF option.

It's a good time to be playing carbon fiber!
Old 10-06-2019, 05:04 PM

I am one of those happy with a CA Cargo, remarkable sound in a very small package. I would not expect big volume from it but certainly will hold its own for the size. I have not played a Rainsong parlor but other guitars in the line have impressed and I would expect the parlor to be the Cargo's equal or better.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Default Mcpherson touring

I heartily endorse the Mcpherson. I recently traded for one and it has a much bigger sound than my similar sized Cargo. Sounds excellent plugged in as well.
Traveled with it last week and easily fit in the overhead bin. Great Guitar!
Old 10-06-2019, 06:14 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in TC View Post
I am one of those happy with a CA Cargo, remarkable sound in a very small package. I would not expect big volume from it but certainly will hold its own for the size. I have not played a Rainsong parlor but other guitars in the line have impressed and I would expect the parlor to be the Cargo's equal or better.
I’ve owned a Cargo since ‘08 and still am impressed with what it does...punches much bigger than its size. I’ve tried a RainSong Parlor once and found the Cargo much better to my own taste.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:14 PM

I play my RainSong CH-PA as my primary guitar. Musician's Friend still has it at the old price. Our duo practices acoustically and it keeps up fine with his Taylor GC and Martin 000.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 10-07-2019, 08:57 AM

I have a Rainsong Parlor (CH-PA), as well as an OM (Shorty), and they're both plenty loud for the size. Compared to my wooden parlor, the Rainsong is definitely a bit louder, and cuts a little more due to the tonal differences (upper midrange is a bit hotter with carbon fiber). The OM size is a bit warmer, more balanced overall, whereas the parlor is much more mid-focused. I would say the Rainsong Parlor is almost as loud as a typical wooden OM-sized guitar, with a bit more presence in the upper mids.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:06 AM
Guest 928

I have the RS parlor nylon string guitar. It's tonal qualities pretty well match those of a wooden instrument. It does not project to the same level as a steel string, but it projects well enough to hold its own in acoustic settings. I have the K&K pickup in mine and it electrifies quite nicely.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I’ve owned a Cargo since ‘08 and still am impressed with what it does...punches much bigger than its size. I’ve tried a RainSong Parlor once and found the Cargo much better to my own taste.
I haven't had the opportunity to play the Rainsong Parlor but I agree with the above statement regarding the CA Cargo. It was quite loud for its size. Carbon fiber guitars have certainly came a long way and IMO you can't go wrong with any of them. Same rules apply, play before you pay, if possible of course.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:10 PM

Dear AZ715,

Do you live in AZ by any chance?
Thank you,
A boy named Kramster

(Too formal?)
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-07-2019, 05:38 PM

Default Reply to Kramster

Hey there, Kramster. Are you the same Kramster who did so many carbon profiles on Youtube? I see you are a Phoenix person.

I do...I live in Tucson.
Old 10-07-2019, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ715 View Post
Hey there, Kramster. Are you the same Kramster who did so many carbon profiles on Youtube? I see you are a Phoenix person.

I do...I live in Tucson.
There is, and can only ever be, one Kramster.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 10-07-2019, 05:57 PM
Guest 928

And he is a Phoenix--emerges from the old to the new. He is also witty, charming and talented--family characteristics shared by my nephew and his uncle.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
And he is a Phoenix--emerges from the old to the new. He is also witty, charming and talented--family characteristics shared by my nephew and his uncle.

Gee Unc... seems it is getting close to Christmas or something
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber