The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-27-2019, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Default New EO Classical folding travel guitar day

I just posted a comparison thread in the main forum around travel guitars that goes into more details as I have been looking for various options

I have been a fan of the Yamaha SLG200N that I picked up a while ago but the overall size while travelling was too large for my taste.

I just picked up this one:

And I have to say I am very impressed. If you are looking for something to take for travel this is as small and light as it gets while still maintaining a full size classical scale and nut.
1569621387209.jpg1569621489185.jpg
Old 09-30-2019, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Looks interesting. Seems like I have seen it before. It looks more like the Soloette than the Yamaha. 42 cm ( 16.5354 inches) long when folded up. Thank you for sharing this!

http://eo-guitars.com/Home.htm
Old 09-30-2019, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltguitar View Post
Looks interesting. Seems like I have seen it before. It looks more like the Soloette than the Yamaha. 42 cm ( 16.5354 inches) long when folded up. Thank you for sharing this!

http://eo-guitars.com/Home.htm
The comparison to the Soloette is likely accurate. There is the obvious difference that it folds as well. I hadn't seen any coverage on this one on the forums so I figured I would put the information out there. No affiliation just a happy customer one week into my ownership.

I also like the angling of the frame pieces which I think is unique on the EO.

I compared to the Yamaha as I currently own one of those as well so it is easy for me to compare the two.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

I like it, though I think I'd still prefer the Yamaha, due to the fact that this guitar folds... which means that the strings are being slackened and re-tightened over and over again. Which will mean shorter string life, not to mention more time tuning ever-stretching nylon strings. Unless I'm making a wrong assumption on that?
Old 10-01-2019, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

I haven't had it long enough to tell if it impacts the string life. One thing vs other designs where the neck moves, this is designed to maintain tension on the strings while folded (although not full tension)

The designer makes the claim that it does not appear to materially impact string life and that the design solves the problem of ever stretchy nylon strings. My experience so far seems to validate the last point. Even with some folding and unfolding at my house the tuning stability seems pretty consistent with my other nylon strings. It took a day or two initially for the strings to settle and then only slight tuning need after that.

I will say that if it was performing in front of people I would probably give the Yamaha a slight edge in tone as a plugged in pure classical tone with EO having a wider variety of tones that it can cover beyond classical.

Last edited by Aspiring; 10-01-2019 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-15-2023, 04:21 PM

Hi Aspiring,

I curious several years later how you are liking this travel guitar? Still used? Replaced with something else?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Robert
Old 08-15-2023, 11:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2guitar_eh View Post
Hi Aspiring,

I curious several years later how you are liking this travel guitar? Still used? Replaced with something else?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Robert
Indeed I am still using it.

I travel for work by air quite frequently and this is the guitar of choice. Now coupled with a spark go and / or fender micro headphone amp. It also sits in my TV room alongside a Yamaha Thr30ii and gets used there often.

A while back i posted another thread where I made some significant modifications to replace the existing pickup system with a Fishman Aura. This has worked out quite well.

It has seen a fair amount of use and still holding up well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical