The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-14-2019, 01:40 AM
Charter Member

Default NGD: A day in Donegal with Emerald Guitars - and a new X7 nylon

Yesterday was a wonderful day in Donegal spent with Alistair Hay, his wife Kim, and the staff at Emerald Guitars. Alistair picked us up at our hotel, and drove us to the Emerald factory, where we were given a grand tour of the faculties. He and Kim were sweet enough to move up the staff’s traditional Friday lunch and music jam to yesterday, and then they were kind enough to treat us to a lovely dinner back in Derry. We also did some wonderful sightseeing in both Donegal and Derry with Alistair as our guide including to Grianan of Aileach. And oh yes....he got to see the book I wrote about him and his company for the first time (I hope he liked it) and I got to see the lovely red carbon fiber guitar he built for me for the first time (I loved it).

So now the book is in his hands, he and Kim are going to go through it to see if there are any changes they want made, then it should be published a couple of weeks after it gets back to me (shooting for October). The plan is to offer it in hardcover (the version Alistair is holding), softcover (the one I am holding), and ebook.

Emerald’s camera and media man Alan also interviewed me for the book, so perhaps there is an Emerald video about the reveal in the future.

I want to thank Alistair, Kim, and the entire Emerald staff for an amazing day that I will always remember, and for the whole experience from the first time I approached him about writing a book until now. It has been a grand experience.

Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass

Last edited by wickedwahine; 08-14-2019 at 04:29 AM.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:58 AM

Lovely! I thought you were going to pick up your guitar and see Alistair on the 14th. Guess you couldn't wait to see your new baby.

Congratulations on your beautiful new guitar and glad you got to see the family and some of the local sights. Kim is great! We really enjoyed talking to her when we were there last year.

Cheers,
Tom

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 08-14-2019, 06:58 AM

What a great trip!
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-14-2019, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

Congrats all around!
Old 08-14-2019, 07:34 AM

It was so lovely to finally meet you (& Shannon)!
Old 08-14-2019, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

AWESOMESAUCE!! I hope to one day visit the Emerald factory and birthplace of my stunning X20!!!

Congrats all the way around!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Takamine 2006 Ltd.
  • Takamine EAC48C
  • Takamine ESF40C
  • Tama #3561 Dread
  • Whelan Dreadnought
  • Whelan Grand Auditorium
  • Yamaki YW-80
Old 08-14-2019, 09:31 AM
Guest 928

That's a beautiful guitar! I look forward to the book and think it has a well-deserved subject--good on you and good on Alistair.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:34 AM

Sounds like a nice fun trip. Congratulations on the new guitar.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Just Wonderful! M.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Another addition to the Emerald Nylon string family.

I probably should have an X7 nylon string Emerald too......
Old 08-14-2019, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

What a great trip that would be ! Any thoughts on that beautiful guitar yet?
Old 08-14-2019, 06:06 PM
Guest 928

Cecil;

Yes, you should probably have an X7, too. I'm a bit ahead of you on the X7 front--boy, is it a sweet size, comfortable, great projection and tone. You should really have one.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:15 PM

What a wonderful trip, and a lovely red guitar. How cool is it to meet the team that built it? I [slightly] envy those of you that can travel on airlines. Ireland is one of th few places left on my list that I'd like to visit. I have been playing the X7 a fair amount lately. I've been really pushing the range of motion limits on the shoulder in PT lately and an X7 is much more comfortable to play than anything else.

Be sure to let us know when the book publishing date happens. We'll go for the physical copy, perhaps softcover but probably in hard cover.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

It looks like you had a lot of fun, Alistair knows how to please his guests!
Congrats for the beautiful guitar and the new book. Mmmmhhh... it might soon get a place of choice next to the Moore Bettah one
Old 08-15-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I [slightly] envy those of you that can travel on airlines. Ireland is one of th few places left on my list that I'd like to visit.
Train to NYC, jump on Queen Mary 2 to South Hampton, train to Holyhead, ferry to Dublin, uber to Donegal. This is just one way to get there without leaving the ground. This is certainly not the cheapest or quickest itinerary, but the QM2 is a good ship to ride on as far as cruise ships go. Definitely do some sight seeing on the way however you get there. Questions?

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber