The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-25-2019, 08:24 AM

Default The Sneeze Test

Bear with me on this one...

I keep most of my guitars out of their cases hanging on the wall of my home office that I double as my guitar room.

I was playing my J45 about 3 feet from the wall on which most of my guitars were hanging.

Sensing a sneeze coming on, I stopped playing the Gibson and sneezed just once. It was a good one.

The guitars on the wall next to me let out a pretty incredible, coordinated sympathetic resonance (I think that is the correct term). I waited for a few seconds to see if I could detect which one had the longest sympathetic sustain.

Congrats to the Taylor GC in Adirondack and Cocobolo. I guess I'm not terribly surprised, but it was a really interesting, nonscientific, probably flawed, unplanned experience.
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 05-25-2019, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSurf View Post
Bear with me on this one...

I keep most of my guitars out of their cases hanging on the wall of my home office that I double as my guitar room.

I was playing my J45 about 3 feet from the wall on which most of my guitars were hanging.

Sensing a sneeze coming on, I stopped playing the Gibson and sneezed just once. It was a good one.

The guitars on the wall next to me let out a pretty incredible, coordinated sympathetic resonance (I think that is the correct term). I waited for a few seconds to see if I could detect which one had the longest sympathetic sustain.

Congrats to the Taylor GC in Adirondack and Cocobolo. I guess I'm not terribly surprised, but it was a really interesting, nonscientific, probably flawed, unplanned experience.
Must be that 12-cylinder engine the Taylor GC is packing! Then again, your larger Gibson SJ-200 12 is equipped with a 12-banger, too. Maybe, it's the Adi/Cocobolo of the Taylor?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 05-25-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Must be that 12-cylinder engine the Taylor GC is packing! Then again, your larger Gibson SJ-200 12 is equipped with a 12-banger, too. Maybe, it's the Adi/Cocobolo of the Taylor?
That's what I'm thinking.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:03 AM

The real question that comes to mind is: which type of sneeze will produce the most sympathetic resonance and sustain? An allergy caused sneeze or a "cold" caused sneeze? Of course, this might lead to experimentation with coughing as a source of resonance also. Could you use different coughs and sneezes to selectively choose which guitar resonates? Perhaps you could play totally hands off guitar!
Blueridge BR-142
Recording King R0-T16
Alvarez AP66SHB
Old 05-25-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgjsps View Post
The real question that comes to mind is: which type of sneeze will produce the most sympathetic resonance and sustain? An allergy caused sneeze or a "cold" caused sneeze? Of course, this might lead to experimentation with coughing as a source of resonance also. Could you use different coughs and sneezes to selectively choose which guitar resonates? Perhaps you could play totally hands off guitar!
I can see this becoming a contentious AGF discussion .
Old 05-25-2019, 12:35 PM

I built a couple of resophonics which are now hanging in the entry of my house. Evert time my dog barks, they fire up some harmony and keep singing long after the bark has faded to oblivion.

Old 05-25-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I can see this becoming a contentious AGF discussion .
Well, I do what I can ...
Blueridge BR-142
Recording King R0-T16
Alvarez AP66SHB
Old 05-26-2019, 06:54 AM

You could tune different guitars to different open tunings like E, A, D then when you have an allergy sneezing fit you could sneeze by each guitar individually and play a song with no hands
Old 05-26-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgjsps View Post
Seems to me that pollen and other allergenic particulates would muffle the tone, while the virus would enhance it. Because science.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:17 AM

I love this! My fiancé and I have our instruments hanging on a wall in the living room above the small desk I use when I work from home and I've been sneezing a lot with this exceptionally wet spring in Colorado. Sadly, my J-40 and old Yamahas — and her Weber mandolin — are nearly inaudible next to the resonance on the $50 Dean banjo I picked up from Craigslist!
Old 05-26-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schneidan View Post
I love this! My fiancé and I have our instruments hanging on a wall in the living room above the small desk I use when I work from home and I've been sneezing a lot with this exceptionally wet spring in Colorado. Sadly, my J-40 and old Yamahas — and her Weber mandolin — are nearly inaudible next to the resonance on the $50 Dean banjo I picked up from Craigslist!
You need to pick up a "banjo killer" guitar. BTW, Welcome to the AGF!
Old 05-26-2019, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

My sneeze experience is similar

and this

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 05-26-2019, 10:25 AM

Be very careful out there people; you don’t ever want to take a fart test, because, youknow, that’s a tough one to fail
Old 05-27-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
I built a couple of resophonics which are now hanging in the entry of my house. Evert time my dog barks, they fire up some harmony and keep singing long after the bark has faded to oblivion.
I see a duo in the making if you can get your dog to bark in rhythm...
Old 05-27-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Great to read that I'm not the only one who has experienced this. Thanks for sharing those.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion