The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 09-08-2019, 10:06 AM

A follow up :
The neck moved (bowed with higher action) during the summer but the truss rod and bridge allowed to correct that.

Did not try Monel strings on the Godin yet, but keeping that in mind anyway.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:17 AM

I have a Loar 700. The action was way high (I'm pretty sure the neck angle is too shallow, as other have mentioned). I took a heap off the saddle (or the top part of the bridge) and got it down. I loved it for a while but found the string spacing too narrow. I obsessed about the nut width (it is spec'd at 1.75" but is a bit narrower) and stopped enjoying playing it. Tried some flatwounds, the change helped for a while but I was seriously considering selling it. I then realised I could widen the spacing at the bridge so I bought a new blank saddle and cut some wider slots for the strings - made a HUGE difference. Put some monels back on it, I love it again now! In summary, had to tinker a lot and I suspect some archtop purists wouldn't like it too much - I'm a bit of a hack when it comes to luthiery skills so don't look too closely - but I'm very happy with it now.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops