The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-19-2019, 11:52 PM

Default What guides your guitar collecting? (If you collect...)

I'm compulsive about certain things. When I was into guns, I had to have one of each kind. It wasn't gratuitous collecting, where I just wanted MORE MORE MORE -- one day I had enough and I stopped. One of each kind.

I don't collect acoustic guitars for their sound. I have a beat up old Martin D28 whose sound I like. Something else drives me. I had to have a "Supreme Art Guitar" so i got a Taylor PS. I needed a guitar with crazy cocobolo so I got a Breedlove masterclass. I needed a koa guitar. Needed an SJ200. Needed a wood veneer and a plain blue weave carbon fiber guitar. Needed a Cole Clark because of their strange woods and build.

None of it makes sense, but every day I look at these guitars on my walls and they make me happy. I think it's about the compulsion to have a global ownership of a topic much more than it is about guitars as instruments.

I'm guessing everyone has their own reason for collecting, and I'm guessing most revolve around playability/sound, but I'm curious how broad the range of reasons is.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:29 AM

I shudder to think what my guitar 'collection', such as it is, would look like if money were no object, and I've actually been slowly "thinning the herd". I think it's kinda like some people who collect art or antiques; in terms of investment it's pretty hard to go wrong if one spends a bit of thought and time and research on it, but buys only what one actually likes.

The art, or the guitar, or whatever it is that does it for you, is still a thing you can hang on the wall and enjoy, or take it out and play it and share it, as opposed to accumulating bearer bonds or stocks or real estate, etc., that simply represent adding more zeros in front of the decimal on one's books. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, in and of itself, but acquisitiveness for it's own sake skews shallow and joyless to me.

I'd rather play the guitar, or look at the painting, or use the 100 year old Stickley dresser to store my skivvies, and derive joy from the thing itself, knowing that if and when I need to convert it to liquid asset, it will be there for me.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 10-20-2019, 12:34 AM

I don't collect -- I'm just moody.
'05 Larrivée 0M-03 Custom (bear claw/hog), '13 Kronbauer TDK 285 MJ Custom (koa), '94 Froggy Bottom Custom (koa) dread', '08 Seagull Artist (EIR), '19 Gnome Blues Custom (EIR/T13? redwood), '78 S. Yairi 726 (hog), '84 K Yairi AR377, 1905 Vega parlor (hog), 60's Stella,'94 Saudi Tele', '79 Epi Genesis

"Your sound is in your hands ... ... more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." - SRV
Old 10-20-2019, 01:00 AM

What drives me in buying a guitar is it offers tone at a level that my ears find to be superior to almost any other guitars. My ideal range of guitars is 3 guitars of this elite level of tonal quality but that offers very different types of tone - scratching different musical itches, as it were.

So far I have had some world class guitars pass through my hands but I have always ended up either finding them too expensive to keep or looking for new tones and selling them on. I hope with the current guitars I own that I will find them so satisfactory from the bang for buck and quality of tone perspectives that I have no more interest in checking out other guitars!

Last edited by gitarro; 10-20-2019 at 01:30 AM.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byudzai View Post
I'm compulsive about certain things. When I was into guns, I had to have one of each kind. It wasn't gratuitous collecting, where I just wanted MORE MORE MORE -- one day I had enough and I stopped. One of each kind.

I don't collect acoustic guitars for their sound. I have a beat up old Martin D28 whose sound I like. Something else drives me. I had to have a "Supreme Art Guitar" so i got a Taylor PS. I needed a guitar with crazy cocobolo so I got a Breedlove masterclass. I needed a koa guitar. Needed an SJ200. Needed a wood veneer and a plain blue weave carbon fiber guitar. Needed a Cole Clark because of their strange woods and build.

None of it makes sense, but every day I look at these guitars on my walls and they make me happy. I think it's about the compulsion to have a global ownership of a topic much more than it is about guitars as instruments.

I'm guessing everyone has their own reason for collecting, and I'm guessing most revolve around playability/sound, but I'm curious how broad the range of reasons is.

I pick guitars based on playability and sound. How is feels in my hands and if I feel a connection with the instrument. You know it's the right one when you play it. Also, my mood depends on which one I want to play.
Old 10-20-2019, 04:16 AM
Charter Member

Tone and more tone and long as it's structurally sound, and it has to be a cutaway.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 10-20-2019, 05:19 AM

Some guys hoard guitars. Some guys collect to be the envy of their peers. Some guys collect guitars because it's their passion.

I legitimately enjoy guitar and bass as much as I did when I was 15. The same goes with guitar based music. I used to be the guy that could play most genres and have an arsenal of tones to do well in most environments. Unfortunately I'm now considered a collector because my local scene is pretty dead. I also have a family and an intense job that has never been a traditional Monday through Friday 9 to 5. I still practice with the hope of getting back out there some day.

My collection is totally geared to my tone and desired neck specs. On more than a few occasions, guys have taken shots at my stuff. Dumb specs, they wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. The first time I took a nice Bob Thompson DN to a jam I got a "nice Martin clone." Here's the thing. He was being very sarcastic. Regardless, I'm happy with my guitars and will continue to play them until my hands quit.

Get what you want. Collecting as an investment is a poor chose with a looming boomer sell off. They take up too much space and cost too much money to sit on a rack.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:05 AM

Collecting implies knowing what you want ahead of time, having an object, then pursuing it. I don't think I have really done that.

One attribute that that attracts me which is is a bit unusual is getting somewhat unusual woods or combinations thereof. Obviously, it is not the only thing. Size, shape, tone and whether or not I envision these things filling a gap that i will make use of. Playability always seems to satisfy me, so that is not much of an issue.

I have often discovered my guitars are less specialized than I thought they'd be when I bought them; they can cover more bases than I expected. Which is good, but it also renders some of them less needed, meaning I could sell 2 or 3 and have my music covered. Only I like them too much.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:01 AM

I think a key point is: they make you happy. I have lots of acoustic and electric guitars, mostly not overly expensive, but all unique. If it's not hurting anyone - do what makes you happy.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:04 AM

Not a collector per se, but I feel a need for different tones, so my collection (for lack of a better word) reflects a variety.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Dog View Post
I don't collect -- I'm just moody.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-ville Brent View Post
I think a key point is: they make you happy. I have lots of acoustic and electric guitars, mostly not overly expensive, but all unique. If it's not hurting anyone - do what makes you happy.
Makes sense. I don't play out much and never for pay so basically I purchase and play guitars to give me pleasure. I don't look to them to make me happy but to add a dimension to my existing happiness. I've owned lots of Taylors because of their playability, tone and appearance. I also liked supporting Taylor as a company. I live in a smallish cabin in the woods that I partially heat with wood so maintaining proper humidity is temperature are a challenge. On Friday I sold my last two wooden guitars (both Taylors) and so for the first time ever, I own only carbon fiber acoustics. My Rainsongs and Emerald differ markedly in respect to their ergonomics and tone, and I can leave all of them out on their stands without worry. I prefer the tone of larger bodied guitars but purchased a Rainsong parlor as a travel guitar that would fit into the trunk (or "boot" as our UK brothers and sisters say) of my Mazda MX5. I also prefer my acoustics without electronics (as are my Rainsongs), but I do enjoy playing my Emerald X20 through my Fishman acoustic amp on occasion...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 10-20-2019 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:14 AM

The best of each tone wood but currently having good enough is where I reside.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:27 AM

Of the guitars I own no 2 are alike. Or there is a story behind it.

But to buy just to collect, no. I enjoy going to a music store and picking something up. I may like what I'm playing but if I have one similar I put it down.

I have only 1 guitar that I want. A Gibson Dove, always wanted one. When the time is right I will have one. That will be the last acoustic I buy.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 10-20-2019, 07:28 AM

I love blinged out guitars, but they have to sound and play great too. My collection of acoustic guitars is finished at 12 guitars.
Recording King RO227
Fender FR-50
Baby Taylor (spruce)
Blueridge BR 180
Eastman E10 SS/v
Old 10-20-2019, 07:46 AM

My priorities include:

It must visually appealing to me. I insist on vintage/classic/old school aesthetics, and I prefer very little adornment. That is why I was instantly attracted to the Martin 000-15SM.

It has to have a compelling tone. If I am not emotionally moved by the instrument's tone, I will have little incentive to play it.

It has to play well up and down the neck. I am not fussy about neck profiles (I got on fine with a Gibson F-25 Folksinger's 2" nut and flat neck), but the instrument has to have excellent playability. I am instantly turned off by guitars that rattle or are uncomfortable to play above the 5th fret.
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion