The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-19-2019, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I'd like to, but not there and no tax work. It would just be more of the same. I want to walk away from the stress, I'm done.
This...

There are always options.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 10-19-2019, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

Barry

I commented on the guitar portion of this tread but as to retirement.....For what it’s worth, I think you are doing the right thing.
I was at my last job for over a decade. I had a great relationship with my boss and his boss and the bosses boss (big corporate conglomerate).
When I found out that I was going to have a rug rat I gave my boss almost 8 months notice that I was moving south of the mason Dixon line. This gave him plenty of time to find a replacement and the last month was spent training my replacement

My boss and the company always treated me with respect, kindness and always rewarded me for all my efforts. Is sounds like Your boss/company does the same. I say return that good treatment by giving them the notice that they deserve.....at minimum, as much time as needed to find a suitable replacement.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 10-20-2019 at 06:12 AM.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
....But retirement is good as long as you have enough money.
Haha! Good point!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 10-19-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
I'm doing what I feel is the right thing. Staying on until after the extension extended tax season is my way of showing loyalty. My employer has paid me beyond my allotted sick days due to various serious health issues on several occasions. Our tax season is a long stressful process and if I got let go sooner than my retirement date, that's fine with me
Congrats on the retirement and kudos for doing the right thing.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 10-19-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
I'm doing what I feel is the right thing. Staying on until after the extension extended tax season is my way of showing loyalty. My employer has paid me beyond my allotted sick days due to various serious health issues on several occasions. Our tax season is a long stressful process and if I got let go sooner than my retirement date, that's fine with me
Everyone's experience is different. I'm thinking you're not in a big corporate environment. I retired from a large global re-insurance company. I get that there's a difference. In my case, if I had announced my expected retirement date I would have been off-loaded (ie; fired) as part of the "reorganization" effort that saw a lot of professionals with decades with the company, but weren't of early retirement age, shuffled out the door on a "black Thursday" in November ... with a small severance package ... but no health insurance, and ineligible to collect pensions (until they reached age). I made my early retirement age five months later, and opted to take the company's offer to retire me, which was generous and more than fair. As I was just one year out from some major cancer-related surgery I decided to throw in the towel, collect on an annuity I'd set up, deferred my pension for a few years (we were in good shape) and do what I always wanted to do ... join a band (or two or three) and go out and play. That was 12 years ago!

I also understand the loyalty to a company that treated you well. I had the same experience, and during five tough years of surgeries, cancer treatments, hospitalizations and such, working around them working from hospital or home .. I never lost one dime of my regular salary, never made to feel my job was threatened. It was a lesson that American corporations should imitate, but don't. I was happy to retire from the pressure and grind (quarterly closings and reporting were madness!) ... but the company was the best I'd ever worked for, and I still appreciate how well I was taken care of. I didn't mind going the extra mile for the company when I could, and was fairly rewarded for my efforts.

Enjoy your retirement! You earned it.

Last edited by RustyAxe; 10-19-2019 at 08:53 AM.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:45 PM

Congratulations on your retirement!

I work in Higher Education and unlike many corporate gigs, retirement is actually celebrated in my workplace (being a tenured professor doesn't hurt either)

I admire you staying around to help your employer through your busy season so as not to put them in a bad spot. I wouldn't think of leaving in the middle of a semester, or even at the semester break of an academic year for that matter.

Anyway, congrats and I'll be joining your ranks in a little over 3 1/2 years.

Best,
PJ
Old 10-21-2019, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Barry,

But retirement is good as long as you have enough money.

- Glenn
And that is the rub right there....this is a very hard one to figure out and I am struggling with that very question right now.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:47 AM

I don't know about you, but once someone has their 30 years in, no one around here is ever shocked or surprised whenever someone announces his/her retirement (I work in higher education).

Things can always get a little weird whenever some sort of announcement is made, but let'em be weird. You're on your way out, and two days after you're gone, it won't matter.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:25 AM

Congrats on the upcoming milestone, Barry! From what you indicate, it sounds like you could "split the difference" with regard to your announcement.....by that I mean that you have the small company, the 30 years and good relations, which predicts a lot of support for your move ( which I'm sure they see coming!). On the other hand, "people are people" and sometimes they can surprise you with unanticipated action/reaction. Play to your wishes (mainly) and stay with what you alone want for your exit.....you only get one shot at this!
I came from the higher ed administration world and that can be tricky and even ugly with politics, so it's not the same as I'm perceiving your situation. After I retired, I consulted in my field (college admissions) for an additional 13 years before phasing that out last year. It keeps your hand in things so your identity is not fully given to "being retired"........and a few extra bucks doesn't hurt either!! LOL!
On the guitar front......I would love to see you commission a single luthier build as your retirement gift!! Knowing your intense interest and love for guitars, I could see this as being a tremendous diversion and involvement for that time right after you leave your position. It's such a fantastic experience.....you learn a ton and have a unique ability to collaborate with whom ever you might choose. The result is an instrument that will be truly treasured in the years ahead.
Best of luck and good fortune with this plan, Barry.
All the best,
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 10-21-2019, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
There are always options.
And that, my friend, is the best thing about retirement.....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-21-2019, 09:38 AM

Am I right in assuming your employer will be caught off guard by this?
I warned my boss a couple of years in advance the time was fast approaching. I was there fifteen years.
It seems odd that you would not have broached this with him earlier, 30 years is a long time to be with someone. Then again, each situation is different.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-21-2019, 10:27 AM

I retired on 06/30/2019. Best decision I've made in years! Glad you are approaching yours Barry. Enjoy!

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 10-21-2019, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

So I told my employer today. He said he was happy for me and at the same time sad. He really appreciated the year advanced notice.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
So I told my employer today. He said he was happy for me and at the same time sad. He really appreciated the year advanced notice.
There ya go!! You're on your way!!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic