The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-18-2019, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Default Reglued bridge - an issue?

Friends, I am looking at a used, luthier-built guitar sold by a small, but well-known retailer of high-end guitars. When I inquired about any repairs, I was told that they had reglued the bridge. As a newbie to this world, and given the low four figure price tag, I was wondering if such a repair is no big deal, or could be indicative of some other maladies that I should inquire about or look for.
Thanks
Old 10-18-2019, 09:29 AM

Ask them if the bracing has come loose and check to see if the top is still flat. There are underlying factors that could create the need to re-glue the bridge.

But if that is truly all that was required, should be fine.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 10-18-2019, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

My luthier/tech told me a re-glued bridge is actually stronger. I'm no wood worker or engineer so I don't understand how this could be but I trust him to be right.
As mentioned above ask about the bracing and the top. If that's good you should be too...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-18-2019, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstaight View Post
Ask them if the bracing has come loose and check to see if the top is still flat.
Thanks, mate. At the risk of hijacking my own thread, I noticed yesterday that there is a slight ripple on the top of my Larrivee, adjacent the lower edge of the lower bout, just above where the strap attachment is. I have never noticed it before, but, then, I never looked for it either. I do properly humidify, with D'Addario humidipacks in a closed case. I notice no sonic issues. Can guitars just "move" like this in the normal course of their lives, or does this suggest a bracing or some other issue.
Thanks again.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
Friends, I am looking at a used, luthier-built guitar sold by a small, but well-known retailer of high-end guitars. When I inquired about any repairs, I was told that they had reglued the bridge. As a newbie to this world, and given the low four figure price tag, I was wondering if such a repair is no big deal, or could be indicative of some other maladies that I should inquire about or look for.
Thanks
H D1

I had that repair done to my Olson when it was 12 years old, and now at 26 years it is not an issue, nor has it ever returned.

I don't see it as major surgery, unless it's been ripped off the guitar under tension and torn wood from the top (most unusual).

I've had no other structural repairs to this instrument and it's now 26 yrs old.

I think of it usually as a humidity related issue. I was far more diligent after the repair than before.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-18-2019, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

This has occurred to me, I think three times. Mosrt recently, it was on my 2003 Collings DS1 (sunburst).

I found I could put a piece of paper under it a fair amount.
Took to my Tech, and he carefully removed the bridge, cleaned both contact areas and reglued it wih the usual titebond style white glue and I honestly can't see any evidence and the guitar is jus' fine!

it has happened on a newish Martin 12 string, and .... something else...can't remember.
Tops move slightly over time, bridges, esp. belly bridges tend to be less flexible.
As long s all is well,"under the hood" - no issues.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Thank you, gents for the help. Any thoughts on the state of my Larrivee top? I resolved one worry this morning, and now have space for another....
Old 10-18-2019, 10:38 AM

Re gluing a bridge is not for the novice. If done correctly you can for the most part expect good results. If your local luthier or friend says "Let me glue it for you", expect trouble. Get it done properly.
Ed
Old 10-18-2019, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

The tops are thin and move over time as a result of the tension applied through the strings. Anywhere the top wood is glued to something that won't move exactly as it does, you might see some slight irregularity in the expected/normal movement that occurs.

I'd guess it's probably due to the top being glued to the endblock, which is going to keep an area maybe 1"x2" or so from lifting, i.e., while everywhere else around the lower bout is only attached at the sides, and will be moving to that slight, natural belly.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
The tops are thin and move over time as a result of the tension applied through the strings. Anywhere the top wood is glued to something that won't move exactly as it does, you might see some slight irregularity in the expected/normal movement that occurs.

I'd guess it's probably due to the top being glued to the endblock, which is going to keep an area maybe 1"x2" or so from lifting, i.e., while everywhere else around the lower bout is only attached at the sides, and will be moving to that slight, natural belly.
Reassuring Keith, thank you for that explanation.
Makes sense since the "irregularity" is due south of the bridge, where, I assume, the greatest forces on the top are vectoring from string tension.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair