The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-08-2019, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
There is, and can only ever be, one Kramster.

I kinda hope that is a good thing.

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-08-2019, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ715 View Post
Hey there, Kramster. Are you the same Kramster who did so many carbon profiles on Youtube? I see you are a Phoenix person.

I do...I live in Tucson.
I have heard of this said Tucson... I haven't been there in like...3 or 4 weeks... drove up Mt Lemon and then hung out for First or Second Saturday ...one of those Saturdays anyway... taking a few photos

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-08-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:

I do...I live in Tucson.
Rainbow Guitars on Campbell currently has seven rainsongs in stock, including a parlor. Go check them out!
Old 10-08-2019, 05:40 PM

Default Rainbow Guitars Best in Tucson!

You bet, about Rainbow Guitars. My wife was there this a.m. checking on the Rainsong parlor. She really needs the small size.

She was first helped by a young fellow who spoke very excitedly about how cool the Rainsongs were. Then she was helped by an older fellow who didn't share the enthusiasm. His only comment was about how well they would handle heat and a lack of humidity.

While there, they also showed her an 0-18 Martin that was almost exactly the same size. Now, she's going back and forth in her mind about which she'd like best - plus I pointed out the McPherson Touring online, and she's added that to the mix. It may be awhile, but we'll end up with one of those, I think.

When you're used to wood, carbon seems a little scary. Then you hear how good they sound, and do a double take.

Really appreciate all the thoughts and opinions from you AGF folks!
Old 10-08-2019, 06:03 PM

I have a Journey OF660 carbon fibre travel guitar. I have no reservations about recommending carbon fibre to others. With closed eyes / blind test it's difficult to tell it's not wood
Old 10-08-2019, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
I have a Journey OF660 carbon fibre travel guitar. I have no reservations about recommending carbon fibre to others. With closed eyes / blind test it's difficult to tell it's not wood
I'd add one more qualifier: with closed eyes / open mind / blind test
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 10-08-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Really appreciate all the thoughts and opinions from you AGF folks!
Rainsong recently (1 Sept) raised the prices on the CH-PA by 30% or so. If Rainbow has not marked theirs up to the new pricing then I suggest she might want to grab it while the opportunity presents.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 10-09-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Rainsong recently (1 Sept) raised the prices on the CH-PA by 30% or so. If Rainbow has not marked theirs up to the new pricing then I suggest she might want to grab it while the opportunity presents.
+1 on this.

You say the Martin and Rainsong are the same size (almost) but look, too at things like scale length and nut size. One or the other may have some differences there that impact playability very individually.

Before I was willing to go to carbon fiber, I needed to play one. Once I got over the really small size of the CA Cargo (handed to me at Elderly instruments) I was sold and left the store with it. Great sound, scale length I was seeking, and no more worries about leaving it out in the heat, cold or humidity (or lack thereof).
Old 10-12-2019, 11:21 AM

To me, my Rainsong has its own special tone that is acceptable while other guitar player friends of mine must have the warmth of wood in their hands and tone to ear. I have profound total frequency deafness in a bracket of high frequencies (from the hard rock days) so I do not hear what others hear and possibly a tiny twang from it just does not register.

I mainly got into the RainSong due to its lack of reaction to humidity, temperature, and sunlight. I had really hurt my wooden guitars playing outside having to regularly get them set up again and even steam potted after being warped by outside elements. The carbon fiber guitar was an answer to an ongoing problem. I amp it though and the high end Fishman preamp along with a ZOOM Ac2 preamp does a great job in bringing out a full rich tone yet does sound like some electric/acoustic hybrid sound to my faulty ears.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:18 PM

Oh..I have the Shorty Rainsong. It is not parlor but a short scale version of a concert size body with single cutaway. I have liked it.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:01 PM

Musicians Friend still has the older $1299 parlor in stock as of today.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber