The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-03-2019, 09:45 PM

Default Music Theory Software

Since tennis elbow has the best of me, I thought I'd learn music theory. I'm reading a good Music Theory Book (Edly's Music Theory for Practical People), but learning Music Theory by only reading text seems incomplete and silly.

I'd like to hear what is being taught. For example when a Major scale is compared to a Natural Mode Scale, I'd like to hear the difference between them, not just understand the Mode accidentals compared to the Major scale.

I'm fine if it's piano related and not guitar. In fact, it would be nice to have a 'pop-up' software piano keyboard to play notes and chords.

Does anyone have any leads?

Lar
Old 10-03-2019, 09:49 PM

If you don't mind vidoes, check out justinguitar.com or simply visit the YouTube channel of it. I personally learned music theory from there.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:57 PM

Agreed. Youtube has tons of videos on theory. I liked the Edlys book but you're right, when discussing music it's best understood via audio and/or AV.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

My son turned me onto an iphone app, webpage is musictheory.net
Old 10-04-2019, 12:15 PM

I agree, https://www.musictheory.net/lessons - is probably the best out there. There are sounds on each page when you need them, so you can hear what's being shown.

Another one worth looking at - at least if it's more pop music you're into - is http://www.drawmusic.com/music-theory/intro

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write