The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-07-2023, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from Brooklyn View Post
John Lennon was the dominant songwriter in those days.

What makes you think so?
Old 04-07-2023, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
As a digression, it occurs to me that "I Want You' on Abbey Road is as good a signal that the Beatles were done for as any. Somewhere between the peak achievement of Sgt. Pepper and the release of Abbey Road itself, rock had made a significant entry on the music scene, and the offshoots of Clapton and Hendrix were making their mark. The kinds of pop songs, albeit hugely inventive, that the Beatles excelled at, were being replaced by music that was more improvised, extended, heavy, and virtuosic. "I Want You' seems to be a tentative step in that direction, but I think not a successful one. Times were moving on, and the Beatles did not match the entry requirements of the new order, I think. I would guess that this, more than anything else, was what really broke up the Beatles.

I think John had found a new creative partner in Yoko, and he was much more excited about his prospects in that direction. I think that’s the most important reason that the Beatles broke up.

The other reason is that they had stopped performing live. They had become studio artists instead of a real band.

The music that they made in their solo careers would not indicate that they were pursuing a new set of rules, and were somehow unable to measure up.
Old 04-07-2023, 12:30 PM

On balance, the White Album just beats Abbey Road, as my favourite.
1982 Fender Stratocaster Dan Smith with custom Mahogany Hardtail body.
1984 Ibanez JA500 Jumbo acoustic.
1994 Gibson J100 Xtra.
2008 Stanford Performer PSOM-10 CEQ.
2014 Faith PJE Signature Neptune, London Plane Tree (Prototype).
2017 Fender Telecaster 1961 replica in LPB.
2017 Faith Blood Moon Neptune.
Old 04-07-2023, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Beamish View Post
What makes you think so?
IMO Lennon's contributions outweighed McCartney's at this point in time. After 'Yesterday' McCartney acceded to become the dominant songwriter by the time of Pepper. IMO of course.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 04-07-2023, 01:24 PM

Beatles '65.
Old 04-07-2023, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Beamish View Post
I think John had found a new creative partner in Yoko, and he was much more excited about his prospects in that direction. I think that’s the most important reason that the Beatles broke up.
My feeling is that Yoko may have been what ultimately tipped the scales, but the Beatles were already floundering as the foremost creative band. The White Album has some excellent songs, but they are fragmented, all over the place, and the closest they could get to the new modern style of rock was to fall back on traditional rock 'n roll as on Back in the USSR. Abbey Road stands out only for the second side, which, after all, is Pepper-rooted only not as good.

In one interview, Lennon described the new music scene and how he felt alienated from it. He talked of the jam sessions where people would roll up and improvise and that he avoided these occasions because he simply couldn't do it. But that was the direction that contemporary music was headed: improvised, virtuoso soloing, a heavy sound, and 'vocalists' rather than singers.

I sometimes wonder if Mick Taylor didn't rescue the Stones a little in this regard. Keith Richards was pretty much stuck in the Chuck Berry rhythmic style with short staccato lead breaks, but Taylor was a 'young 'un' who played the new Claptonesque style with fast, fluid solos, overdrive, wah. His playing gives the Stones a sophisticated 'modern' early 70s feel that was absent in the Brian Jones era.
Old 04-07-2023, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
My feeling is that Yoko may have been what ultimately tipped the scales, but the Beatles were already floundering as the foremost creative band. The White Album has some excellent songs, but they are fragmented, all over the place, and the closest they could get to the new modern style of rock was to fall back on traditional rock 'n roll as on Back in the USSR. Abbey Road stands out only for the second side, which, after all, is Pepper-rooted only not as good.

In one interview, Lennon described the new music scene and how he felt alienated from it. He talked of the jam sessions where people would roll up and improvise and that he avoided these occasions because he simply couldn't do it. But that was the direction that contemporary music was headed: improvised, virtuoso soloing, a heavy sound, and 'vocalists' rather than singers.

I sometimes wonder if Mick Taylor didn't rescue the Stones a little in this regard. Keith Richards was pretty much stuck in the Chuck Berry rhythmic style with short staccato lead breaks, but Taylor was a 'young 'un' who played the new Claptonesque style with fast, fluid solos, overdrive, wah. His playing gives the Stones a sophisticated 'modern' early 70s feel that was absent in the Brian Jones era.
Can you link the Lennon interview?

I’d say the White Album is a game changing masterpiece — mostly because of John’s songs. Yes, it’s uneven. Paul in particular added some real filler. But the album is a culmination of what made the band unique: their incredible versatility and range. Only they could have Martha My Dear, followed by I’m So Tired. The engine of John-and-Paul, the yin and yang, was rolling full steam.

As for modern rock style (which isn’t really a single thing, but several different approaches), Everybody’s Got Something to Hide is way more on cue than Back in the USSR.

Also, I disagree about the Stones. Mick was a magical player. I love him. But what changed the game was Keith going to open tunings. This is what wrote the new riffs. This is what gave us Beggars Banquet — before Taylor joined.
Old 04-07-2023, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from Brooklyn View Post
IMO Lennon's contributions outweighed McCartney's at this point in time. After 'Yesterday' McCartney acceded to become the dominant songwriter by the time of Pepper. IMO of course.

I’d say that songs like All My Loving — one of John’s favorites — prove that Paul was on equal terms with John in the early Beatles. The list goes on. And I Love Her. I’ll Follow the Sun. I Saw Her Standing There. I’ve just Seen a Face.

I definitely think John shined on Rubber Soul, most of all. Then he shined again on the White Album, where even Paul’s best songs (like Blackbird) aren’t quite as amazing as Julia, Dear Prudence, I’m so Tired, and others.

Throughout their career, both guys wrote tons of groundbreaking songs, melodically, lyrically, in every possible way.
Old 04-09-2023, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

While I truly love nearly all of their records, the one I would pick as my "favorite" would be Revolver, I think... Rubber Soul certainly signaled a whole new direction of the Beatles as Artists, for me, Revolver had it all!!!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic