The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-14-2019, 10:34 AM

I've heard plenty of Gordon Lightfoot songs, but this one was new to me. I agree with your insightful analysis of the main section and the bridge, but when played well (as you do) even cliché changes can work, sometimes because they are cliché changes.

And by now I'm assured of your vocal chops, something I appreciate all the more as I lack them. As the song started I thought you had too much reverb on the vocal, even if it's "period correct" from some late 60s productions (and my taste, which is nothing special or worth emulating, tends to go to the drier sound for vocals)--but as the song continues I noticed that less and less until by the end I noticed it barely at all and thought it sounded right as a production choice. Part of that was the quality of the song and your voice no doubt, but I think another large factor was your visual performance, those non-auditory things like body language and facial expressions which brought me deeper into the song.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 06-14-2019, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
I've heard plenty of Gordon Lightfoot songs, but this one was new to me. I agree with your insightful analysis of the main section and the bridge, but when played well (as you do) even cliché changes can work, sometimes because they are cliché changes.

And by now I'm assured of your vocal chops, something I appreciate all the more as I lack them. As the song started I thought you had too much reverb on the vocal, even if it's "period correct" from some late 60s productions (and my taste, which is nothing special or worth emulating, tends to go to the drier sound for vocals)--but as the song continues I noticed that less and less until by the end I noticed it barely at all and thought it sounded right as a production choice. Part of that was the quality of the song and your voice no doubt, but I think another large factor was your visual performance, those non-auditory things like body language and facial expressions which brought me deeper into the song.
Hi Frank,

Wow, very interesting points! I always appreciate reading your insightful comments!

And ironically, maybe I appreciate your insights more because I have gone through the exact same thought process.

I started out with lower reverb levels on everything. Then I went back and listened to the original Lightfoot recording and his live recording from the BBC and realized that the reverb levels were considerably higher than mine. So I tweaked my reverb levels to raise the reverb a little. I worried about this at the time a little -- too much?? -- well, just like you, after a while, I thought, well maybe that's just fine, particularly when viewing the video.

I have noticed that in producing these YouTube videos that often I think, gee... I am just not satisfied with how I sound on that recording. But then when I listen to the audio while watching the video, it all seems to sound better and then I am okay with the audio performance. I have no idea why that might be, but it happens to me over and over.

Could it be that we are more forgiving of slight flaws in a performance when we see them performed live? Or does the video add some life and energy to a recorded performance so that it really changes the way we hear it?

I think it's fascinating, Frank, that you noticed so many of the same things that I noticed and even struggled with a little.

- Glenn
Old 06-15-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post

I have always loved this song, sad as it is, but it has always seemed unfinished to me. It finally dawned on me that maybe that's the way Gordon Lightfoot wanted it -- to reinforce the shock factor of finding this betrayal out in the night and now, not knowing where things are going.

My wife, when I played this for her before recording it, reacted that it sounded like he wrote the song right after he woke up and then just kept repeating himself, just like we do when we are in shock. And the bridge in the song is so dramatic...

The guitar is a 2018 Martin D-45, which I thought sounds (and looks) really lovely on this song.

For those who might be interested in learning to play this song, the chords and lyrics are HERE from Gordon Lightfoot's website.

Thanks for listening!

- Glenn
Absolutely beautiful.. I really enjoyed this cover of one of my favourite Lightfoot tunes..In late 1971 when in England, Gordon recorded a TV special and did this tune with Rick Haynes on bass and Red Shea on lead. Red died several years ago but Rick is still touring with Gordon after joining him in 1968.The show aired in early 1972. He and his first wife Brita, divorced in 1973 after several years of acrimony. Many of his greatest tunes were written during that time. I think perhaps this is about his wife hearing HIM talking in his sleep..but being the poet he is we are left to imagine who it is really about.. I do know that his 'stepping out' on his wife brought about the demise of their marriage. His greatest song, If You Could Read My Mind is another that reflects the breakdown of their relationship. This is the clip from the BBC show. (all tunes are on YouTube) - and by the way, Gordon is singing 'take a potato' - in the studio he wanted something to fill in during that spot and 'take/dig a potato/pick a potato' was the end result.In July 1971, Talking In Your Sleep peaked at US #64, while Summer Side Of Life reaches #38 on the US album charts. Thanks for sharing your talents Glenn! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDfyWrwNtQE
Old 06-15-2019, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordfan View Post
Absolutely beautiful.. I really enjoyed this cover of one of my favourite Lightfoot tunes..In late 1971 when in England, Gordon recorded a TV special and did this tune with Rick Haynes on bass and Red Shea on lead. Red died several years ago but Rick is still touring with Gordon after joining him in 1968.The show aired in early 1972. He and his first wife Brita, divorced in 1973 after several years of acrimony. Many of his greatest tunes were written during that time. I think perhaps this is about his wife hearing HIM talking in his sleep..but being the poet he is we are left to imagine who it is really about.. I do know that his 'stepping out' on his wife brought about the demise of their marriage. His greatest song, If You Could Read My Mind is another that reflects the breakdown of their relationship. This is the clip from the BBC show. (all tunes are on YouTube) - and by the way, Gordon is singing 'take a potato' - in the studio he wanted something to fill in during that spot and 'take/dig a potato/pick a potato' was the end result.In July 1971, Talking In Your Sleep peaked at US #64, while Summer Side Of Life reaches #38 on the US album charts. Thanks for sharing your talents Glenn! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDfyWrwNtQE
Hi Gordfan,

Thanks for your great information! I am so glad you enjoyed this song.

I always assumed that his drinking and his encounters on the road undermined his first marriage but I could certainly be wrong about that. I did read the recent "Lightfoot" book on Gord's life as a musician. I may have to go back and read that again.

I am very much aware of the 1972 BBC video recording of Gordon Lightfoot and Red Shea and Rick Haynes. In fact, I spent some time watching how GL played this particular song from the BBC recordings. I think vocally he was at his very best at the stage of his life and career. I really enjoy those recordings!

Thanks so much for your comments!

- Glenn
Old 06-15-2019, 09:10 PM

Not familiar with this song but this piece suits your vocals very well. Very relaxed and soothing. Excellent finger style playing. Thanks for sharing Glenn.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
Not familiar with this song but this piece suits your vocals very well. Very relaxed and soothing. Excellent finger style playing. Thanks for sharing Glenn.
Thanks Sage!

Much appreciated -- I'm glad you thought this came out well! Thanks for watching and taking the time to comment here!

I hope all is well for you.

- Glenn
Old 06-17-2019, 07:06 PM

Great as always Glenn!!!

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 06-17-2019, 08:20 PM

Gonna have to change your username to Glenn’s Gold ;-). Another beauty of a job!

2009 Martin OM-28 Marquis
2016 Gibson J45 Standard
Old 06-17-2019, 08:41 PM

Gordon Lightfoot has written many interesting songs.

Last edited by Inyo; 04-07-2020 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratcat77 View Post
Great as always Glenn!!!
Thank you Marty!

Nice to know you are listening! I very much appreciate your comment of support!

I hope all is well for you Marty!

- Glenn
Old 06-17-2019, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Nads View Post
Gonna have to change your username to Glenn’s Gold ;-). Another beauty of a job!
Thank you Brent!

Thanks so much! I'm so glad you thought this came out well! I don't know that I have any gold to offer, but I can sure piggy back onto some great songs written by others!

I hope all is well for you Brent!

- Glenn
Old 06-17-2019, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyo View Post
Bravo!

A brilliant and very enjoyable interpretation of that Lightfoot classic.
Thanks so much Inyo!

How wonderful to hear from you! I very much appreciate your watching and commenting here! I appreciate your support and encouragement!

- Glenn
Old 06-18-2019, 07:38 PM

New one to me as well, but I enjoy hearing songs that tell a real life ? story, whether happy or sad. Gordon had a gift for story telling, to be sure. You have a true gift for presenting songs in a controlled, thoughtful, and detailed manner, Glenn. Always a pleasure.

Thanks For taking time to do these songs.

Roger
Old 06-18-2019, 10:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerblair View Post
New one to me as well, but I enjoy hearing songs that tell a real life ? story, whether happy or sad. Gordon had a gift for story telling, to be sure. You have a true gift for presenting songs in a controlled, thoughtful, and detailed manner, Glenn. Always a pleasure.

Thanks For taking time to do these songs.

Roger
Hi Roger!

Well, Roger, it's always a pleasure to receive your thoughtful comments! They are always appreciated! Thank you so much!

And you're welcome regarding my taking the time to do these songs. I think it's good for me; it keeps my hand in song creation without having to do the actual song creation, if you know what I mean.

Twenty-five to thirty years ago I wrote all kinds of music and really worked at it. And for me, writing songs is hard work. It was rewarding but still, hard work.

But today, I am happy to take songs I like from other artists and figure out how to cover them in a reasonable way. There is still song creation in figuring out how to do someone else's song in a way that is true to the artist's concept, but it's WAY easier than writing a song, at least for me.

And maybe in the process of video recording these songs I might give someone else a few hints at how to play this song so that someone else might decide to go after the same song. Who knows...

I hope you are doing well Roger! I am doing well!

- Glenn
Old 06-21-2019, 09:28 PM

Nice tune. Great job singing and playing, enjoyed it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell