The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-23-2015, 08:09 AM

Default Top Tuning- How to get a better High end? (waiting!)

Hey guys!
I'm a college student from China and have been learning guitar making for one and half year. My mentor is an experienced professional luthier and he makes really fantastic guitars! My relationship with him is pretty much like the old-style chinese mentor-disciple kind that he never really teaches me things about guitar-making, but asks me to watch what he is doing and think the process by my own, and occasionally asks me question. For the reason that I need to take care of the study and the workshop is 2 hours away from the college, I actually cannot always stay at the workshop. So I have been doing some entry repairing job and have finished a electric guitar few months ago and making this acoustic one this month. My mentor is really a critical person and always not satisfied with my work. I feel stressful sometime but it's also actually good thing and I do want to impress him this time.

The top is a cheap Stika (150RMB,around 25$) and B&S is okumen.
I want a woody, dry, bassy, punchy sound also with a nice high end from this guitar.

The stika top is quite soft comparing with others. I do think it does not have "enough" stiffness.
The back is very light and is doing well so far.BTW, I use ladder bracing.
So the problem is- IMHO, the tap tone has nice low end and the area around the bridge responses quite well, it has the complexity and fullness but in lack of sustain and ringing high notes. And the bridge area sounds just not good. it's not response well and does not has a pleasing high note as it should be.

Hoping I'm expressing my thoughts rightly and it'll be very kind of you for helping me! THX!!!

some pics

https://plus.google.com/photos/10828...87993807537075

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
tuning