The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-06-2021, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier View Post
You may want to look into Reaper. It is, of course, a DAW but it can also handle all you’re looking for in terms of videos and it may even be the simplest/easiest option since you could do your guitar recording and video edit in one app.
I've used Reaper for several years and currently do any video editing in Reaper because it works well with my older and less powerful Windows machine. It is capable of doing P-in-P although I haven't made use of that feature yet.

Here's a video showing how P-in-P is done in Reaper, even doing multiple windows. Kenny Gioia has many videos freely available on the details of using Reaper.

Old 03-07-2021, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
Personally however, I’ve been using Luma Fusion on an iPad Pro and couldn’t be happier.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier View Post
You may want to look into Reaper.
+2
Old 03-07-2021, 05:00 PM

I'll throw out one more option that might work: WeVideo, an online editing suite. Easy to use and does what you requested. You can try it free to see if you like it, then you could get a basic subscription that'll do 30 minutes of 720p video a month. If that works for you, it's just $5/month; $60 since you have to do a year (not sure if you can sign up and then cancel pro-rated).
Old 03-09-2021, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I've used Reaper for several years and currently do any video editing in Reaper because it works well with my older and less powerful Windows machine. It is capable of doing P-in-P although I haven't made use of that feature yet.

Here's a video showing how P-in-P is done in Reaper, even doing multiple windows. Kenny Gioia has many videos freely available on the details of using Reaper.

Thats pretty impressive I did not realized Reaper had upgraded the basic video capability that much . I does appear (like some of Reapers audio work flow options) to be a bit more cumbersome to implement, than a full featured Video editing software program BUT but seems very usable for basic video and would work well (if a lot or FX and processing are not needed ) I am guessing that it could function for the OP (depending on actual level of video editing and FX desired)
And would have the benefit of having full featured Audio and basic video all in one software program.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 03-09-2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Thats pretty impressive I did not realized Reaper had upgraded the basic video capability that much . I does appear (like some of Reapers audio work flow options) to be a bit more cumbersome to implement, than a full featured Video editing software program BUT but seems very usable for basic video and would work well (if a lot or FX and processing are not needed ) I am guessing that it could function for the OP (depending on actual level of video editing and FX desired)
And would have the benefit of having full featured Audio and basic video all in one software program.
A full featured dedicated video editing program is going to be easier to understand, especially considering how video manipulation is implemented in Reaper.

Most users simply look at the various buttons available on the main screen and assume you can't do much with video in Reaper.

It takes a bit more digging, and you then realize that all of the video manipulation is actually handled in Reaper using a "plug in", meaning it's similar to what you would do to edit EQ or add reverb to an audio track.

Once you open up the Video plug in then you have the "Aha!" moment.
Old 03-09-2021, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
A full featured dedicated video editing program is going to be easier to understand, especially considering how video manipulation is implemented in Reaper.

Most users simply look at the various buttons available on the main screen and assume you can't do much with video in Reaper.

It takes a bit more digging, and you then realize that all of the video manipulation is actually handled in Reaper using a "plug in", meaning it's similar to what you would do to edit EQ or add reverb to an audio track.

Once you open up the Video plug in then you have the "Aha!" moment.
Ya I got that from the Kenny G video you posted. Looks pretty handy (once you get used to it) for some basic video editing and FX. So am I correct assuming you can't use third party video FX, like FX Factory et.al. ???

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 03-09-2021, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Ya I got that from the Kenny G video you posted. Looks pretty handy (once you get used to it) for some basic video editing and FX. So am I correct assuming you can't use third party video FX, like FX Factory et.al. ???
That I don't know. If those are add-on plug ins that operate just like VST plug ins for audio then they could be used. I don't know that much about video FX, so I can't say for sure.

I'm notoriously cheap, so if I can do something with Reaper I probably wouldn't pay for third party options.

Reaper is a great value for the $60 and I have installed a few audio plug ins that were inexpensive to purchase.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD