The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: What's your preferred finish?
Gloss 92 60.13%
Semi-gloss 21 13.73%
Satin 40 26.14%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-13-2021, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

I like what shiny gloss lacquer looks like after 70 years of use, spider web finish checking, pick scratched, and faded.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-13-2021, 01:34 PM

This is a duplex question for me. For just plain looks, gloss is my choice by a wide margin. For playing, satin is my preference. Gloss has two strikes against it. 1. Gloss on the neck is not nearly as smooth and fast as a satin finish. YeahI know, I can and do take a scotchbrite or some fine steel wool to just the neck, but I would much prefer a guitar with a finish that is the same all over. 2. Gloss is applied in much thicker layers than a satin finish. That has to affect the sound/tone/sustain and who knows what else of the guitar.
Old 05-13-2021, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemonk View Post
French polish is a technique of applying shellac. Every French polished guitar I have seen has been gloss. Lowden and Avalon finishes are not French polished. I agree they are beautiful finishes, but I'm not so sure I agree they are not as durable as a full gloss finish.
I think my perception (emphasized by the word “seem”) is more due to the fact that these builders tend to use more cedar tops.

maybe

Drew

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion