The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-04-2020, 05:06 AM

Default Strings for cheap laminate guitar.

I play finger-style with bare flesh. I realise that the sound I achieve on my cheap guitar (Yamaha C40) is limited, but is there any point in trying different strings?
I am using D'Addario EJ45at present. If so, any recommemdarions?
Old 08-04-2020, 06:11 AM

First determine if the saddle is a soft, easily flexible or hard plastic. If hard, difficult to flex, good. How is the clarity of the #3(g) string? Is it distinctly tubby/smoky, out of character with the strings to either side of it?
Old 08-04-2020, 06:17 AM

Strings are probably the quickest, cheapest way to transform any instrument, regardless of value. I say go for it. I might try a hard tension D'Addario set next, but there are dozens of choices out there, whatever you might want to try.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

This is a recording of my $99 classical, a Lucero LC-100 that I made a few years ago. I had normal tension strings on it. The high tension tend to sound a bit brittle/bright to my ears.

I bought an inexpensive bone saddle at Guitar Center, sanded it a bit to match the old plastic one and threw it in. That had a good effect too.

I played this with flesh only:

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical