Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-10-2018, 02:41 PM

This is terrible, tragic news.

Chin up, California. We love you!

- John Shedd
Old 11-10-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
California used to do controlled burns to prevent, or at least, minimize, these things from getting out of control. Why did they stop doing so? I don't want to hear the obvious: MONEY. I am surprised the insurance industry has not stepped in to ensure this type of thing doesn't occur. They certainly have the MONEY.

From what I understand it’s policy to not cut back or control burn now. Ironic thing is native Americans had the good sense to burn dead and potentially dangerous trees
scott

Last edited by Basalt Beach; 11-10-2018 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Political commentary
Old 11-11-2018, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
From what I understand it’s policy to not cut back or control burn now. Ironic thing is native Americans had the good sense to burn dead and potentially dangerous trees
scott
Not true. Controlled burns have been used in recent years, and in the past three years or so, the amount of acreage that has been scheduled for controlled burns has been increased dramatically.

It is true that controlled burns were used less frequently for a number of years, sometimes out of concern for air quality, sometimes because of postponements and cancellations because of unfavorable weather conditions, sometimes because a lack of trained staff to supervise the burns,,sometimes because of intergovernmental squabbles, etc, etc.

And, throughout the USA, there are MANY more people living in urban-wildlands interface areas...which changes the dynamics of forest management, and of wildfire fighting.

As is often the case, this is a complex situation that should not be subjected to simplistic analysis, nor should there be a hasty and one dimensional assessment of blame.

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-11-2018 at 03:58 AM. Reason: Prohibited topic
Old 11-11-2018, 01:08 AM

All I know is that they were actively doing controlled burns in the '80s when I lived in So Cal. I'd watch them do it up in the San Gabriels when we'd go hiking up there.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Terrible accounts of the destruction and fear the residents must have felt here: https://www.kptv.com/dead-in-cars-an...4da437997.html

What an incredible tragedy.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:55 PM

Devastating....the best word I can think of. The firefighters are true American hero's. Hoping they get these contained as quickly as humanly possible. Sending prayers, California!
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 11-13-2018, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

My wife went to Chico State University, which is just down the road from Paradise. She's heading up there to deliver a bunch of goods to the people and animals who have been displaced.

My work matches any donations, which is awesome. There are good corporate citizens out there!
Old 11-15-2018, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Air quality in the bay area is still horrible. Colleges are closing today it's so bad. Typically for this time of year there is little wind and most of it offshore. First time in my life I've been hoping for onshore winds...

Supposed to last at least through Sunday. Getting really old.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:41 AM

The first series of really accurate photo’s are now filtering in. As of last night Malibu is still closed so I’d guess the pictures are coming from emergency utility crews and the like. The destruction is simply unfathomable.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:03 AM

still terribly windy here in ventura county. hope they are able to contain it by sunday as they claim.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 11-15-2018, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Air quality in the bay area is still horrible. Colleges are closing today it's so bad. Typically for this time of year there is little wind and most of it offshore. First time in my life I've been hoping for onshore winds...

Supposed to last at least through Sunday. Getting really old.
The air quality was 404 here in Elk Grove. As you mention, the winds are light and not coming onshore, so the smoke is just filling the valley. I was feeling pretty sick the last two days (difficulty breathing, clawing my eyeballs out).

They did not cancel school, and the district caught a lot of feedback for that decision. But they did cancel PE and any other outdoor activities. Lunches are being held inside, as they do on rain days.

That being said, the poor air quality is nothing compared to what so many others are going through. Hope they get these fires contained soon. Possible rain next week.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
The air quality was 404 here in Elk Grove. As you mention, the winds are light and not coming onshore, so the smoke is just filling the valley. I was feeling pretty sick the last two days (difficulty breathing, clawing my eyeballs out).

They did not cancel school, and the district caught a lot of feedback for that decision. But they did cancel PE and any other outdoor activities. Lunches are being held inside, as they do on rain days.

That being said, the poor air quality is nothing compared to what so many others are going through. Hope they get these fires contained soon. Possible rain next week.
I had to drive down to Newport Beach early Saturday morning. On the way back I got near the airport and the smoke was overwhelming. Then suddenly I was having trouble getting air into my lungs and I panicked beyond panic. I just couldn’t get any air. I tried to self calm myself but nothing was getting in my lungs. I pulled over and put my nose direct into the A/C and it subsided but not before I was physically shaking. It took hours until I settled down.

Horrible event...
Old 11-15-2018, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Oh, my... I'm sorry to hear that. I was out at lunchtime, and I was having some breathing issues, while driving... that's really scary! Glad you're ok now.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post

That is for sure, can't imagine what some folks are dealing with.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
..As is often the case, this is a complex situation that should not be subjected to simplistic analysis, nor should there be a hasty and one dimensional assessment of blame.
Too true. Even with some controlled burning the way property is spread out, and crammed in, in different areas makes real controlled burns very hard to do. Then, when fires do occur, sundowners and Santa Annas kick up the fires and spread them faster than anything, or anyone, can control. The Painted Cave fire missed my house by about 200 yards when I was still living in Santa Barbara back in 1990. That fire was horrible taking over 400 homes and one life and doesn't remotely compare to the Camp or Woolsey fires.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic