The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-06-2018, 09:09 PM

Default Tom Doerr Guitars - owners out there?

Hi All,

First of all, great meeting a few of you at the Woodstock Festival, even some who still don't know that I'm on these forums! Great to be amongst so many fellow enthusiasts and players. And especially cool to chat with the man who built my favorite guitar (Beneteau).

So I'm interested in Tom Doerr's guitars, specifically a Solace jumbo model. I'm not totally sure why - I've never played one. I do want a guitar of that body size, that I'm sure of. Maybe it's the look, or the fact that he's in Michigan, the state I grew up in. The few sound clips I've heard certainly sound nice. I don't know, sometime we find ourselves pining over something for reasons that aren't immediately apparent.

That aside, anybody out here own, or have at least spent time with, a Doerr guitar? Any options to share? I know observations on sound can be so subjective, but I'd like to think this particular forum is home to many pairs of well refined ears. Any takes on things like craftsmanship or overall feel?

All insights are appreciated.

Thank you!
Kostal Jumbo
Taran Tirga Mhor
Gerber RL15.5
Old 11-06-2018, 09:34 PM
Charter Member

This isn't related to Doerr, as I have yet to play one, but Marc builds my current favorites as well and we may have chatted at Woodstock and not even known it! Got to meet him there for the first time as well and spoke with some folks around his booth for a spell...Congrats on your Adi/Coco CS.

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 11-06-2018, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scallywag View Post
Hi All,

First of all, great meeting a few of you at the Woodstock Festival, even some who still don't know that I'm on these forums! Great to be amongst so many fellow enthusiasts and players. And especially cool to chat with the man who built my favorite guitar (Beneteau).

So I'm interested in Tom Doerr's guitars, specifically a Solace jumbo model. I'm not totally sure why - I've never played one. I do want a guitar of that body size, that I'm sure of. Maybe it's the look, or the fact that he's in Michigan, the state I grew up in. The few sound clips I've heard certainly sound nice. I don't know, sometime we find ourselves pining over something for reasons that aren't immediately apparent.

That aside, anybody out here own, or have at least spent time with, a Doerr guitar? Any options to share? I know observations on sound can be so subjective, but I'd like to think this particular forum is home to many pairs of well refined ears. Any takes on things like craftsmanship or overall feel?

All insights are appreciated.

Thank you!
Did I get to say hi to you at Woodstock?? I'm a dealer of Tom Doerr's guitars so perhaps I have some insight. I'll drop you an e-mail with a more in depth review of his sound but what I can say is that his craftmanship is really good. He has one of my very favourite aesthetic design choices - his lines are very graceful and I love what he does with micro pearl. The sound is clear, balanced and responsive. Especially if you're getting a base model guitar - 6500 USD includes Brazilian Rosewood, so that's kind of a crazy deal if you ask me

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 11-06-2018, 11:32 PM
Charter Member

Well...I’m a proud owner of a Solace as of TODAY! Just acquired it from Bobby Swanson ...so no deep insights yet other than those noted by others. Wonderful rich deep sound and great aesthetics and build quality. Spent the evening dueling it out with my Froggy H-12 and Goodall GC and CJ. They are all winners...but my sense is the Doerr has a bright future in my collection. BTW this is a 2008 build.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:36 AM
Charter Member

Tom Doerr is a favorite builder of mine and I have a Blackwood on order... There is many things I like about his guitars, I 2nd everything thats already been stated, and I like to add that the sensitivity is really superb, one of the most enjoyable finger style guitars I've played, you feel all the notes in your fingers as you play, and you can attack with a light touch... and Tom himself is such a stand up guy, a best friend of mine he's become over the years... Reach out to him..!!!
Old 11-07-2018, 12:47 AM
Charter Member

I dig Tom’s stuff too. There’s a sound that is reminiscent of Kevin Ryan’s stuff. I agree with Dave, the sensitivity of a Doerr is profound.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:44 AM

Default Find on his website

You need to find out detail information at below.

http://doerrguitars.com

There are 3 models in Doerr guitar, and Solace is mid-jumbo size one.
Many options available depend on your request, such as cutaway, sound port, inlays, bracing.... etc.
But basically, Standard-Signature-Sterling are default pricr preset.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:12 AM
Charter Member

In the 50+ years since I bought my first 'decent' guitar (a D-18), my guitar quest has always been guided by three principles:

1. Only the Extraordinary will do, and Tone trumps everything. I'm only interested in what I consider the 'Best of the Best', and if it's got the Tone that makes my ears melt in ecstasy, I can live with just about anything else.

2. Buy and hold. I've never bought a guitar with any consideration that I would ever sell it, although, in the course of my playing life that sometimes happened. On the rare occasions when I buy a guitar, I intend to keep it.

3. No play, no stay. I don't have a collector's mentality; I only own as many instruments as I can play regularly. For me, that's currently 3 guitars and 1 mandolin and I try to play them all daily. If months or a year go by without an instrument inspiring me to pick it up and play it, then Principle 3 supersedes Principle 2 and it's time for the instrument to move on to a new owner.

This boring preface is just to say that, while I've played perhaps hundreds of outstanding guitars, only a VERY few have been good enough to want to own. My signature shows the few that made the cut over a long career.

I currently own guitars by Buendia, Circa and Bashkin, and a Heiden mandolin that was originally owned by Ry Cooder. A Doerr will soon be joining them.

I first played a Doerr a few years ago at nearby Dream Guitars, where it stood out in a room full of some of the very best guitars on the planet. Last year, I drove up from NC to the Artisan Guitar Show in Harrisburg, PA, specifically to meet Tom Doerr and play the 3 guitars he brought. From the first day of the show, I knew I'd found my next builder.

Tom will be delivering my guitar next July, when he will join John Slobod of Circa Guitars and Tyler Robbins as part of the Luthiers Exhibit during our Guitar Week. He'll be bringing a few other guitars as well, and if you'll be attending the workshops, I invite you to take the opportunity to meet him and sample his extraordinary instruments.

Guitars:'07 Circa OM, '09 Bashkin 00-12fret, '10 Circa 00 12-fret, '17 Buendia Jumbo, '17 Robbins R.1, '19 Doerr Legacy Select, '12 Collings 000-28H Koa. Pre-War guitars: '20 0-28, '22 00-28, '22 000-28. Mandolins: '09 Heiden Heritage F5, '08 Poe F5 , 1919 Gibson F-4, '80 Monteleone Grand Artist mandolin, '83 Monteleone GA (oval),'85 Sobell cittern.

Last edited by jmagill; 11-08-2018 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:29 AM
Musical minimalist

Over the last 10 years I've had the chance to visit Tom's shop 4-5 times and play recently finished instruments.....some of which had only been strung up for a few minutes!

I can tell you, as others have noted, the workmanship is almost other-worldly, the tone is VERY consistent from guitar to guitar and across the registers on each instrument. There is a smoothness to sound that's hard to describe, but extremely pleasing.

I've never heard any "wolf" notes or harsh frequencies in the trebles, and have always enjoyed every instrument I've put my hands on - even a couple prototypes he did that he didn't think turned out that great made me smile big.

And, as someone said above, Tom's just a heckuva good guy.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

I wanted to get to the Artisan show, specifically to meet Tom. I have not played one, but his builds are usually the ones that stop my haphazard browsing. I think his guitars are among the most elegant being produced. There's a simple, classy aesthetic that captures and hold me. The lines are graceful, the edges look rounded for comfort, the carve in the headstock...all of it comes together in what looks like a fantastic package. I agree that sound, above all else, is important to me, so I won't buy without playing a few examples of his work, but if I were to go on looks alone, I wouldn't hesitate.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 11-07-2018, 08:47 AM
AGF Sponsor

I am relatively unknown on this forum, and as such I don't expect my words to carry significant weight as opposed to other contributors on this thread. I have been building full-time since 2015 and was privileged to exhibit at La Conner and Vancouver earlier this year (set to show again in 2019) I only mention this for readers to have a little be of a sense that I am not exactly a novice with respect to this wonderful world of custom guitar building, But I want to add something here nonetheless.

I met Tom in 2006 when I ordered his Legacy model, EIR/Cedar cutaway. A stunner and much beloved instrument. A couple of years later my wife and I ran into horrible financial crisis and I sold everything, including my Doerr, wow, was that hard to do. But Tom and I have become good friends over the years. We have talked many times and continue to talk lutherie over the phone every now and again. He is one of my favorite people on earth. As for his guitars, well, he is a world class builder, his craftsmanship is impeccable, his sound is fantastic. Without hesitation I would order a Doerr. They are incredible instruments. Yes, I hope you get a chance to play one or two, if you do, I am sure you'll be thrilled.

my current guitars;
2014 personal build eir/cedar 25.4
2020 Irvin SJ eir/tunnel 13 redwood top 25.5

guitars I have owned;
1977 Martin D-28
2006 Tom Doerr Legacy Select
1956 Gretsch White Falcon
2011 Taylor GA3e
1967 Silvertone
1969 Stella Harmony
Old 11-07-2018, 09:35 AM

Ok......happy to see this thread and share a bit!! I just have to echo all that folks have said about Tom. The INTEGRITY, KNOWLEDGE and CLASS he brings to his builds is just incredible! What a guy!!
Tom built my Legacy select in 13'-14' and it, for me, is my finest guitar. The TONE never disappoints and this is just one super fine instrument. He'll continue to explore and push limits to improve/refine....my guitar is #103, so he's got lots of experience under his belt as he continues his career.

Currently in Show and Tell, I have a short tune (Cliffwalk Interlude) which is played on the Legacy in DADGAD capo 2, if that helps.

Tom's early influences in building......Jim Olson, Bill Wise, Kevin Ryan. Then he attended the one week workshop given by Ervin Somogyi and this led to the development of his own designs from about 2009 forward. They are aesthetically elegant with amazing detail......Tom might humorously explain that he's got that "anal gene"! But one look at his work confirms this trait and he's certainly proud of his work.
Although we have never met personally, we are still in touch from time to time almost 5 years since my build was completed. He truly welcomes his clients into the "Doerr Guitar Family" and I"m sure you'll feel this sense of connection as you meet and explore your possible build. Best of luck!
Regards,
Fred
ps Every now and then Tom does post here on AGF
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 11-07-2018, 10:35 PM

Ah thanks everyone, I really do appreciate the replies. I think the key for me, as it really should be for anyone, is to play one of his guitars. Not in a Woodstock kind of setting - great show but not great for hearing an instrument's voice in a quiet place - but rather someplace where everything else is just drowned out. Maybe I'll see if I can drop by his shop the next time I'm in Michigan.

@dustinfurlow - indeed we may have met! I did chat Marc up for a while. Yeah he's nice as can be, and yes we agree that he makes wonderful guitars. They have a very special sound. Also, excellent playing on your YT channel!

@Marcus Wong - ah, so we did meet! I came over to ask about Isaac Jang's guitars after Steven Bennet played them on stage. You came over to me after that while I was standing on the stairs at the entrance to the floor show and handed me your card. Great to have met you, and thank you for your insights!
Kostal Jumbo
Taran Tirga Mhor
Gerber RL15.5
Old 11-08-2018, 05:09 AM

The currently available Redwood Brazilian legacy select on his website looks fantastic.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:04 AM

I've owned two Doerrs (built, 2006 & 2015) and have a third on order from Tom due in 2019. His guitars are absolutely fantastic, and have a sweetness to the trebles up the higher registers that few builders can achieve.

You may view the build thread here:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...=364997&page=7

Tom has a keen eye for aesthetics and design, that is matched by his ability to execute them. i love the look on my Doerrs, they are sleek, elegant and contemporary looking without having to "try too hard" so to speak. Everyone who has seen it in person has just been wow-ed by it.

Tom is also an absolutely fantastic human being. He is truly passionate about getting your guitar right and will spend many hours over email and video call to address every concern. ask me how i know

We just spoke over video call about three weeks ago and Tom showed me a Modified Dreadnought design he has in the works, if anyone is keen. This will be his fourth model, in addition to the Trinity, Legacy and Solace.

Did i mention as well that he has an absolutely amazing stash of Brazillian? There are many bigger names out there, but i don't think you can go wrong with a Doerr guitar. I personally think he's among the best.

Collings OM2H Adi / Braz
Doerr Legacy Swiss / Braz
Franklin OM German / Braz
Franklin OM Carpathian / Braz
Goodall GC Italian / Honduran
Goodall GC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Afr. Blackwood
McPherson 5.0 Full Koa
McPherson 5.0XP Adi / Braz
Martin D-28GE Adi / Braz

Last edited by swiftz07; 11-08-2018 at 10:13 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop