The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-25-2018, 10:41 PM

First up, we have a OO Adirondack/Fiddleback Mahogany from Leo Buendia for our fellow AGF member, Jason. The guitar was so resonant that while I was tuning up the guitar, the vibrations from the body was felt in the tuner heads which made my fingers slightly numb it was a guitar with very strong fundamentals and sounded really huge! You're gonna be a happy man

Next we have a couple of OMs from Isaac Jang. They look absolutely incredible in person, the uchida style bendaway is just stunning! The Cocobolo too... wow. I think it was the favourite wood for all the builders his guitars were strung up just 24 hours ago but they were already really loud with a lot of presence, and did not sound as tight as they should for guitars so new. Really impressed by Isaac's sound

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 10-25-2018, 10:45 PM

Default Michaud Made

Then we have Joel Michaud. I've constantly been impressed by Joel Michaud's design and sound, both of which are at the top of the game. He brough a J-R Moon Spruce/Bois de Rose for AGF member Vasu, and a OO-R European Spruce/EIR for another AGF member. I shall let the member reveal himself to you

As usual, Joel has his signature treated metal work as his inlays. Simply stunning! Be sure to catch it at the show tomorrow

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420

Last edited by Marcus Wong; 10-29-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:06 AM
Charter Member

I see that you also brought a body on Singapore time...

C’ya later
Old 10-26-2018, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Thanks for posting, Marcus. Those of us who cannot be at Woodstock really appreciate getting a preview of the offerings. And it is nice to see Isaac's smiling face.

Best,
Jayne
Old 10-26-2018, 11:40 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Just had a long conversation with Richard Hoover, a hero of mine. How cool. Never know who will turn up at a WILS.
Old 10-26-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Just had a long conversation with Richard Hoover, a hero of mine. How cool. Never know who will turn up at a WILS.
I'll bet you talked all about which strings are best, right?

Sorry I missed today's session - Life got in the way (and all is well). Maybe Sunday - maybe.
Old 10-26-2018, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Wish I was there, thx for sharing...!
Old 10-27-2018, 07:59 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Richards a great guy to talk to. I had the pleasure of sitting next to him in the refreshment room at the show two years ago. We discussed my Santa Cruz koa OM among other things, a great memory from a great show.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Marcus, it was awesome meeting you. Wishing you tremendous success in becoming the gateway for bringing amazing instruments to your corner of the world!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 10-27-2018, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Marcus, it was awesome meeting you. Wishing you tremendous success in becoming the gateway for bringing amazing instruments to your corner of the world!
It was awesome meeting you too Mike! Thank you so much for your well wishes

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 10-28-2018, 12:14 AM

So sorry for dropping the ball on the update guys. I stayed up till 4am last night trying to record some guitars in a limited capacity haha and here I am, past 2am tonight uploading some photos for you guys to enjoy

This is the first thing you see that really gets your heart pumping to prepare you for the wonderful experience which awaits you inside:

I am going to start spamming some photos of guitars to give you a taste of how overwhelming the festival really is in person haha!

Buendia Guitars

Isaac Jang and Manzer Guitars

Incredible inlay work by Grit Laskin

Jayne Henderson Guitars

Greenfield Guitars

Sugita Kenji and Beneteau Guitars

Much much more to come~

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420

Last edited by Marcus Wong; 10-28-2018 at 06:54 AM.
Old 10-28-2018, 04:19 AM
Charter Member

Thanks a million for sharing, Marcus! Please, keep the stories and the pictures coming for all of us who can't be there in the flesh.

I don't want to sound like your mother, but "try to get some sleep, my boy".

As a fellow guitar geek, I say "you'll have time plenty of time to sleep on the flight home. Run yourself ragged, my friend, it's for a noble cause!"
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 10-28-2018, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I had the pleasure of spending some time with Richard when my wife & I traveled out to Santa Cruz for SCGC's 40th anniversary celebration a couple years ago. He's just a prince of a man--brilliant with an incredible memory, and such a welcoming, kind, and gentle spirit. Glad you had the opportunity to meet him!

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 10-28-2018, 06:51 AM

Oh man! I didn't know a legend such as Richard was here. I would have loved to say hi to him.

@Deft Tungsten, your wish is my command. Here are some more photos of guitars from the show!

Turnstone Guitars featuring Rosie herself

Tippin Guitars

An incredible set of Madagascar Rosewood on a Tippin

A fancy Lame Horse Guitar

Oshtoff Guitars

A gorgeous and innovative bridge plate by John Oshtoff to bring down the weight. He glues a thin veneer over this structure to bring the stiffness up while keep the weight low

Bashkin Guitars - I have to say that this year has been my favourite year for his guitars. Bob is a lucky man

There's a little Bashkin party we had on the evening of the first day. Updates and photos to come soon.

One last one for now - I have to say that I LOVED the Baritone that Linda Manzer brought in Koa. The sound was incredibly focused for a guitar tuned so low, yet without the depth of the sound suffering. I'm guessing that had something to do with the thin body and use of Koa

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420

Last edited by Marcus Wong; 10-28-2018 at 07:08 AM.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:48 AM
Humanist

Default The Woodstock Invitational 2018 - TGEG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
Then we have Joel Michaud. I've constantly been impressed by Joel Michaud's design and sound, both of which are at the top of the game. He brough a J-R Moon Spruce/Bois de Rose for AGF member Vasu, and a OO-R Sitka/EIR for another AGF member. I shall let the member reveal himself to you

As usual, Joel has his signature treated metal work as his inlays. Simply stunning! Be sure to catch it at the show tomorrow

Yeah...this one is mine.

The replacement for the 00-R that was destroyed during shipping almost exactly 2 years ago.

I had intended to pick the guitar up in-person at Woodstock, but fell rather ill on my first flight (EUG-Denver) this past Thursday. Had to spend the night in Denver, and then fly home the next day. Still recovering.

The guitar is indeed a 00-R, East Indian Rosewood, but with Euro/spruce...not Sitka...I let Joel pick this. The black top, well, let's just say we went all "Johnny Cash" on this aspect of the guitar. I guess Joel and I are outlaws at heart.

I hear that the guitar has ended up sounding pretty good (understatement), and I'll probably take delivery on Wednesday of this week.

Sorry I missed meeting you, Marcus, and also missed a whole bunch of friends.

So it goes...
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 10-28-2018 at 10:10 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
michaud made, new york, singapore, the golden era guitar, woodstock