The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-21-2018, 06:26 AM

I think the vocal channel is ok, but agree not great. Lately, when doing trio work, I use the AER for my guitar and run vocals through the BOSE S1. I can say though, that the S1 is also excellent for my guitars. I like being able to use both channels on the S1 for vocals. You could buy 2 S1s for the price of an AER 60 but the C60 is excellent for guitar.
Maybe it makes a difference which mic is being used. I don't get why they did not add a mid control for vocals. Anyway FWIW, I generally used an SM58, but more recently have been using a Shure headset mic with the BLX wireless.
davidc
Old 11-21-2018, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

I have found with the Compact 60 that vocal sound does very much depend on the microphone. An SM58 barely sounds OK, a Beyer M88 sounds very good, and a Shure KSM8 is my first choice for the vocal channel on my AER.

The KSM8 is pricey but then so is the Compact 60. Together with a guitar they make a great compact lightweight rig for those smaller to medium gigs where you don't need a big PA.

I can see how someone using an SM58 with a Compact 60 could be underwhelmed.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:20 PM

Ah, I use mine with a Sennheiser 935.
Wonderful sound....
Martin J40
Old 11-24-2018, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Howell View Post
Ah, I use mine with a Sennheiser 935.
Wonderful sound....
Likewise.The Sennheiser makes it!

Have owned a 60/2 for about 7 years ongoing.Continues to be versatile.balanced and loud enough...

Gabe
Old 11-24-2018, 12:59 PM

I can't seem to find the weight of these amps.

Does anyone know how much the TE amp weighs?
Old 11-24-2018, 07:41 PM

I will try some different mics. Right now I use Shure wireless headset mics but will try the others recommended.
The AER 60/3 and 60/4 amps weigh just under or around 14 pounds.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:46 AM
Charter Member

I have a Compact 60/2 that I bought, used, from a fellow I know locally... wasn't about to pay the going rate for a new one, but I got this one for a good price...

I am primarily a vocalist; I'm a songwriter and guitarist, but, if my vocal doesn't sound great through a piece of gear, I won't buy it...

The Compact 60 (with ONE 8" speaker!) sounds marvelous with a Shure Beta 58A! Both my "stage" guitars have the Anthem SL pickup, and they sound great through the Compact as well...

Every time I use that little thing, I'm stunned by how much clean volume it will produce... my main rig is a Bose L1 Model II, which I love, but this little jewel is something else! I bought one of the little folding "wedges" for it, to angle it up a bit from parallel, and that serves the overall sound in a big way.

I have played rooms that were 25'x80', with 25' ceilings... all brick and stone and glass... full of people drinking and talking... not only was a I heard clearly, but people kept coming up and comlimenting me on the sound (more than a couple musicians), and they all thought I was running through some DJ's speakers that were "flying' from the ceilng in front of the stage...

When I pointed out the AER at the edge of stage right, on top of a couple cases, they just looked at me incredulously!

These little dudes are serious kit... the effects in mine are completely useful, nothing bizarre that I won't even consider using...

I have found that, similar to my Bose rig, the AER Compact "wants" to have some room between the amp and the player (and audience) for the sound to "bloom" a bit... I try to position mine 10' or so away, with me in the cone of dispersion the speaker produces; this way, I can hear myself clearly and have the amp loud enough for the room without causing any feedback through wither mic or guitar.

If I'm sitting right on top of the AER, it sounds boxy... move away about 6-10' and you'll hear what the thing is really putting out.

Mine weighs in at 12.8#s... much more when in the Cordura case/bag, and I have it stuffed with two cords, tuner, mic, etc... but still easily tote-able, even for an old guy who's lazy!

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 11-25-2018, 05:47 AM

The C60/4 has the following new features:

1) aux level
Level control for aux in

2) aux in
Auxiliary input, 3.5 mm jack socket.
Additional input for general sources
with line level, e.g. CD player
Mono or stereo jack plugs can be used.

3) 9 V (ch. 1) switch
Switches on the 9 V phantom power for channel 1

4) DI out pre/post fx switch
Adds the eff ects (internal and external) to DI-out

The weight is increased to 7.1kg (15.6lbs) from 6.5kg (14.3lbs) compared to C60/3.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:51 AM

I have several acoustic amps, and the AER is the best sounding. And I've had it for about 6 years, and not a whisper, or a hint of a problem. In fact I have 2 of the C 60's I play in stereo. Good luck.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:03 AM

They are well-made amps. I prefer the Fishman Loudbox Mini for 60 watts of acoustic guitar and vocal performance or use as a monitor.
Old 08-20-2020, 11:35 AM

How do you use them in stereo? Just curious as I am thinking about doing something like that

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
aer amps