The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-14-2018, 08:49 AM

The Windows 10 tool for screen recording is the GameDVR tool. From

https://www.howtogeek.com/205742/how...or-ios-screen/

https://www.howtogeek.com/219947/how...-and-game-bar/

"Don’t let the name fool you: GameDVR can record any application, even if it’s not a game."

For more advanced screencasts (or Windows 7 users), we recommend OBS (Open Broadcaster Software).

https://obsproject.com/

It’s a powerful, free, open-source tool that allows you to do a lot more than GameDVR. Insert watermarks, embed a video of your webcam while capturing your desktop, or capture multiple windows at once and position them wherever you like. OBS is widely used for video game streaming on Twitch.tv because it’s so powerful, but it works just as well for creating a professional-looking video of your desktop.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Ah, I'm on PC. I need to download something. (Supposedly you can do it on Windows 10 through the Xbox game bar - I just discovered - but it doesn't work for me: it asks me to sign in for live gaming, which is crazy... I guess my video card might be the wrong kind too.)

I assume Quicktime records your voice too - you have a mic?
I used a mic on this, but quicktime can take the audio from anywhere, including the system sound, so you can record whatever noises the computer is making. This is a handy thing in general, I recently used it to send a couple of bug reports to a software company, easier to demo what's happening than to describe it in words.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post
The Windows 10 tool for screen recording is the GameDVR tool.
Thanks.
I do have the Xbox app, with gameDVR, but it was really weird trying to get it to work. Windows+G didn't seem to do anything - except - after a long delay - a little sidebar popped up, just for a second, then disappeared before I could react. Likewise, the game bar (with its record button) also appeared at random. Windows+alt+R didn't work at all. I did manage to get it to work, and record some screen activity, but it didn't seem like something that would be of any practical use because of its temperamental way of not appearing when you want it.

However, now - some days later - it is working! Windows+G brings up the gamebar straight away, and Windows+alr-R starts recording straight away. Whaddya know...
PC's do work in mysterious ways....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write