The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-01-2009, 01:11 PM

That's it. My Breedlove Calendar Brazilian Rosewood OM in officially for sale. I can't take anymore of this. LS has overwhelmed me. Look for the ad in classified soon. LOL Here's the information.
http://breedlovemusic.com/index.php?...tom&Itemid=214

Last edited by BBWW; 07-01-2009 at 01:17 PM. Reason: To Ad link
Old 07-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

It seems like a LS RedWood Top and a Quilted Mahogany Back and sides from "The Tree" would be the stuff!! Two famous tree stories in one great guitar!!!! I'm not sure how that combo would sound but I would imagine pretty good!!!!

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 07-01-2009, 01:22 PM

SuperB,

You know that thought keeps haunting me....Brock is busy with Montreal right now but I'm sure he'll chime in. I have some sets of The Tree, but do I need two guitars out of it.

(short answer-yes)

I need to make more money, no doubt about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
It seems like a LS RedWood Top and a Quilted Mahogany Back and sides from "The Tree" would be the stuff!! Two famous tree stories in one great guitar!!!! I'm not sure how that combo would sound but I would imagine pretty good!!!!
Old 07-01-2009, 01:57 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
I'd certainly like to be the guinea pig for that research.....

Old 07-01-2009, 02:01 PM

If readers of this thread needed any additional reason to GAS, here's my Kragenbrink OM with LS redwood over cocobolo.

And yes, it sounds as good as it looks. Very responsive, deep rich tone, great sustain.

Dave
Old 07-01-2009, 02:05 PM

Now that's just downright cruel Dave.

PM sent to Lance. Sigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
If readers of this thread needed any additional reason to GAS, here's my Kragenbrink OM with LS redwood over cocobolo.

And yes, it sounds as good as it looks. Very responsive, deep rich tone, great sustain.

Dave
Old 07-01-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
SuperB,

You know that thought keeps haunting me....Brock is busy with Montreal right now but I'm sure he'll chime in. I have some sets of The Tree, but do I need two guitars out of it.

(short answer-yes)

I need to make more money, no doubt about it.

Don't we all... :-)

Yes, I agree very much that would be a great combo.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:24 PM
Musical minimalist

You're a bad man, Mr Raack.....

Old 07-01-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Orion View Post
forgive my ignorance, but are people suggesting the tone is better because it's been struck by lightning?
I think "the reason" from "the story" is that it sat across a ravine for years, able to air-dry naturally for a long time.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

Several of the redwood logs harvested by Craig Carter were given names (and abbreviations):

LS – Lucky Strike
FA – Fine Arts
TA – Truly Awesome
ST – Singing Tree
TB – Tono Basso

All of them had distinctive tonal properties.

Here are THE Definitions, as described by Alicia Carter, in the last
century.

FA “Fine Art” Log

Salvaged log from old logging operation. Estimated down 40+ years when split into billets (summer 1998). Some Mstr. & AAAA sets were sold to Martin Guitar – later bought back for resale. Approximately ¾ of log lost to splits and rot. Remaining billets, when sound, produced sets that were tight grained, very stiff and of variable coloring. Color ranges from mid to dark (chocolate) brown, with strips of lighter coloring. Some sets are very dramatic in coloration – striped in gold and varying shades of brown. Not the usual soundboard look, but can be outstandingly beautiful. Tonal qualities seem to be particularly strong in the upper registers. Special techniques will need to be developed to work with this wood as it is very hard and stiff – soundboards probably need to be very thin.

LS “Lucky Strike” Log

Craig Carter’s now famous log. Craig located this log in north-facing freeway easement through a redwood forest. He estimated it had been down about 30 years. It fell downhill across a small dip, suspending a good portion of the log in the air; thus it cured in ideal conditions. The portion salvageable was about 3 feet in diameter, 60 feet long. (Unfortunately, much of the best part of the log was lost to fence-post hunters.) Craig began to harvest it in Fall 1993; final harvesting was completed by Alicia and neighbors in Spring 1997. Some soundboards were cut by Craig as early as Spring 1994, including most of those re-purchased from Martin Guitar. Soundboards from this log have been made into fine steel string (including arch top) and classical guitars. Smaller billets have produced mandolins, as well. Stiffness to weight ratio is said to be excellent; grain pattern and coloration generally even, very straight, with lots of “silk.” Sound characteristics combine the warmth of cedar with the clarity and color of spruce. This log set very high standards for redwood soundboards – ones almost impossible to match. Craig cut into over 100 downed logs before he found one – the LS -- that met his exacting standards. He was a classical guitar player and planned to use this wood for his own classical guitar building.

ST “Singing Tree” Log

Alicia discovered this log in the vicinity of the LS log. It had fallen across a steep slope so that the upper side was embedded in the earth and the downhill side largely free of earth contact. Neighbors helped Alicia harvest this log, which she cut into soundboards and marketed to individual luthiers and companies. When the log was being cut into rounds with a chainsaw, she stood on it some 30 feet from the cutting and heard it ring like a tuning fork. (Thus the name.) The wood is warm in coloration – rust, orange and gold shades, generally striped. Tonal qualities are also warm, more like cedar than spruce. The only sets remaining for sale are those recently repurchased from Martin Guitar.

TA “Truly Awesome” Log

This log was purchased from a mill on a private ranch. The tree on a slope and was said to have fallen naturally, due to heavy storms, in 1995. The log was one of three, cut 20’ or more from the ground. It was 5 feet in diameter, 17 feet long – an estimated 10,000 lbs of wood. It was hand split in Fall 1998 and the first sets were cut in Spring 1999. Because of its large diameter, it was sometimes possible to get two rings of billets: inner ring and outer ring. All billets split beautifully – very straight. The inner ring sets were naturally cured; they exhibited excellent stiffness to weight and sound characteristics. Soundboards made from this inner ring wood are pale gold with tonal range rivaling that of LS soundboards with a lighter weight. There were only a few of these inner ring billets, as the center of the tree had center or “wind” splits (common in the larger trees) and areas of uneven grain. Billets from the outer ring were bright, blood red when initially spit – very “green.” There were some billets taken from mid-diameter, also. When soundboard sets were dry, they were too “green” to use in guitars. Coloration was streaked and tone undeveloped until soundboards aged, air dried, for several years. As a result, most of the TA log remains in billet form. All soundboards now available were cut between January 1999 and March 2000. Outer ring sets (what is mostly available) are fine grain and stiff; coloration appears streaked before the sets cure, gradually clearing to gold. Sets cut today from mid-range billets should be ready for building when air dried, approximately 2-4 weeks. Sets cut in 1999, mostly from outer ring, have been made into fine guitars with unique redwood tonal characteristics: warmth of sound combined with clarity and broad tonal range and color.

TB “Tono Basso” Log

The TB log was purchased when it became apparent that the TA log would not
yield sets for immediate building. It was from a tree that fell in approximately 1983. This log was also 5 feet in diameter and 17 feet long – 10,000 lbs. of wood. The log was split into billets in Winter 1998-99 and some initial soundboard sets were cut immediately. Inner and outer ring billets were split, with some billets split mid-width. Soundboards from inner ring billets were generally unsuitable due to wide, uneven grain; outer ring soundboards were, once more, too “green” to build with when dried. Most of this log remains in billet form. Some of the billets taken from mid-width yielded soundboards with striking bass tone characteristics, hence the name, “Bass Tone.” Mid-width soundboards quickly lost color streaking and were very beautiful, with “beeswing silk” – a unique, checked light-reflective pattern that looks like golden flecks of mica. As with the TA soundboards, outer ring soundboards were initially undeveloped, tonally, and streaked in color. Once these soundboards were cut and air dried, tonal qualities gradually developed and coloration evened. This log is characteristically striped in color pattern but stripes are usually subtle shading differences rather than distinctly contrasting colors (as with the FA soundboards). Color tones are mid-brown rather than orange or gold. Successful guitars have been built with TB soundboards, especially when instruments are designed to take advantage of the unique bass tonal characteristic.

Guitars:'07 Circa OM, '09 Bashkin 00-12fret, '10 Circa 00 12-fret, '17 Buendia Jumbo, '17 Robbins R.1, '19 Doerr Legacy Select, '12 Collings 000-28H Koa. Pre-War guitars: '20 0-28, '22 00-28, '22 000-28. Mandolins: '09 Heiden Heritage F5, '08 Poe F5 , 1919 Gibson F-4, '80 Monteleone Grand Artist mandolin, '83 Monteleone GA (oval),'85 Sobell cittern.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Maybe put it with something like this?

Old 07-01-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmagill View Post
Several of the redwood logs harvested by Craig Carter were given names (and abbreviations):

LS – Lucky Strike
FA – Fine Arts
TA – Truly Awesome
ST – Singing Tree
TB – Tono Basso

All of them had distinctive tonal properties.

I have a bunch of these redwood sets from just about all of these different trees. Most are really nice, but IMO the LS stands alone.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Poling View Post

Wow looks greats!!!! Incredible.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 07-01-2009, 08:18 PM

Wow, what a great set of wood. Whoever the idiot was that parted with it must be kicking himself. Talk about a guitar with a story!!!!

Quote:

Old 07-01-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:

Love that wood!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion