The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 12-13-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderdon View Post
Check out the work by Tony Levin , Trey Gunn on the 'stick/Warr guitar.

Youtube has several excellent videos of Tony Levin with King Crimson. He's ridiculous.

Alvarez Yairi 5065
Fender 50th Anniv MIJ Telecaster
Old 02-06-2019, 05:49 PM

One friend played one for a few years. He developed nasty arthritis in his fingers from the tapping. He sold it. Occupational hazard when you tap on strings for many years.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:42 PM

Default Action?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
One friend played one for a few years. He developed nasty arthritis in his fingers from the tapping. He sold it. Occupational hazard when you tap on strings for many years.
That’s odd because the action on a Stick is much lower than a guitar or bass. Sticks are designed to have a straight neck profile with very low action. People with hand issues typically find the Stick to be easier to play. I’ve never had any issues, even when doing an all day seminar for several days.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcouStickistNS View Post
That’s odd because the action on a Stick is much lower than a guitar or bass. Sticks are designed to have a straight neck profile with very low action. People with hand issues typically find the Stick to be easier to play. I’ve never had any issues, even when doing an all day seminar for several days.
I don't know if it is cause or effect, but I used to do a lot of hammer-ons on conventional guitar, and as my arthritis started I needed to cut back quite a bit. On a non-acoustic instrument (like the Stick) I suppose one could learn to use a much less percussive attack and let the electronics handle more of the sounding of the note.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 02-07-2019, 11:03 AM

Default Tapping

Most all tapping instruments like Stick, Warr, Touch Guitars require a flatter neck profile. Guitars can be setup the same way, and I believe Rickenbacker also sets their basses up with no relief / straight profiles. If you have issues tapping or lots of hammer ons, check your neck profile. Lighter gage strings also help.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:34 AM

They're interesting. I was able to try one once. At the time it was mental overload. I'd probably get one if I had a LOT of time to dedicate learning. Otherwise, a mandolin or banjo might seem a little more reasonable. A big weakness of mine is a complete lack of hand independence.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments