The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-12-2022, 06:34 AM

Default USB turntable recommendation wanted

I have hundreds of records, many obscure and irreplaceable. I'd like to convert some to electronic format for listening in the car. There are cheap turn tables I call record wreckers and good ones. All of the usb turntables I see online look like the cheap category. Anything out there audiophile quality? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. I'd like the conversion process to be simple but I'm open to some hardware that converts a regular turntables output to input the PC can work with.
Old 06-12-2022, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

You can always use something like this ART USB Phono preamp - I have one which I use with a good midline ProJect turntable, and I’m very happy with the results.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...udio-interface

There are others beside the ART - I just went for that one, as I’ve had good experience with their products in the past.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 06-12-2022, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
You can always use something like this ART USB Phono preamp - I have one which I use with a good midline ProJect turntable, and I’m very happy with the results.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...udio-interface

There are others beside the ART - I just went for that one, as I’ve had good experience with their products in the past.
I've used one and it works if you want to input to a PC. A couple of years ago, I picked up a Teac CD recorder for about the same price as the USB phono preamp. Once set properly, it even inserts breaks between songs and numbers all the tracks. You just hook it up like you would a cassette recorder.
I may have an earlier version of the ART interface, PM if interested and I'll look for it. If so, you can have it for proof of a donation to a no-kill animal shelter.
Brad
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.

Last edited by brad4d8; 06-12-2022 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-12-2022, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
I have a similar but cheaper Behringer model (UFO202). It lets you use your good turntable to digitize your vinyl--no "record wrecker" required, and better sound quality in the finished product to boot, using your good tonearm and cartridge.
Old 06-12-2022, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

If I were looking for a cheap turntable for a friend I'd probably recommend this:
https://drop.com/buy/drop-audio-tech...-vta-turntable

There's a built in phono preamp with RCA outputs so you'd still need an interface with stereo A/D conversion to get to USB. A $125 Soundcraft Notebook mixer might work fine since it has a USB output. There are other small mixers that will do the A/D and most of them are affordable.

Last edited by Al Acuff; 06-13-2022 at 02:33 PM.
Old 06-13-2022, 08:25 AM

As others have said, use a decent turntable and a phono preamp that outputs digital. The Rega Fono is dirt cheap.

https://www.rega.co.uk/products/fono-mini-a2d

Cheers,
Steve

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD