The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-28-2024, 03:39 AM

Just one further thought about using a single condenser mic ...

I've done that, and when it works it's really good. But it's very venue dependent - in some rooms you get feedback at really low volumes. With a sophisticated mixer you can ring out the worst frequencies, but the average mixer at UK open mics has just Bass, Mid and Treble controls. Also, the room changes with people in it - might be worse, might be better.

So for the first session or two I'd suggest having backup dynamic mics just in case.

The 'mic eating' problem will be real, as performers are used to singing on top of dynamic mics. Something like this might solve that cheaply (search term - pop shield):

Old 02-28-2024, 04:29 AM

I've been running an Open Mic at a local Cafe' for exactly 1 year today.

I installed a Yamaha PA /Mixer and set of JBL 12" monitors , I run the mics through it and the instruments go through Fender Acoustic 100 which has 2 discrete channels and several onboard effects . It even handles low volume bass. It has XLR DI outs that go to the PA.

This setup is also used on our Friday night Acoustic shows I run sound for.

Bullet proof , easy to dial in and everybody loves it.

Our show run 7:30-10 on Wed nights and has become one of the most popular nights , even out doing the booked artists on occasion. We don't charge a cover , just request folks buy a couple of drinks.

I adjust playing time depending on how many artists show , we've had up to 18. Everybody gets at least 2 songs. We have booked 18 artists from Open mic, its' been a great running audition .

My rules , NO outboard devices ( i provide everything needed) , no attitudes , don't swallow the mic !

Having 60 years of experience in all aspects of music ( artist, luthier, recording /sound engineer ) I can relate to the challenges and try to be as supportive as possible, At first I tried to be very strict on time etc, I found that counter productive. I just explain at the beginning of the night to be respectful of the other artist by NOT running long , and staying around to support them .

Those that don't follow the guidlines are not allowed back . There have been very few, and we've had over 500 artists in the course of the year.

Last edited by PapaLobo; 02-28-2024 at 04:44 AM.
Old 02-28-2024, 04:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfChris View Post

I've done that, and when it works it's really good. But it's very venue dependent - in some rooms you get feedback at really low volumes. With a sophisticated mixer you can ring out the worst frequencies, but the average mixer at UK open mics has just Bass, Mid and Treble controls. Also, the room changes with people in it - might be worse, might be better.

So for the first session or two I'd suggest having backup dynamic mics just in case.

The 'mic eating' problem will be real, as performers are used to singing on top of dynamic mics. Something like this might solve that cheaply (search term - pop shield):

You are right about feedback when running a stage with a single LDC mic'. I played with a local bluegrass band for 8 years. We did all our gigs (pubs, weddings, village halls, churches, hotels etc) with just a single LDC mic'.

I did the sound and we used a very small desk with 48v phantom. I then ran that into a ULTRAGRAPH PRO FBQ1502HD 15 band e/q and then to two powered speakers on stands. No monitor needed for a bluegrass band - you just stand closer together when things get noisy!!!

The Bheringer ULTRAGRAPH PRO FBQ1502HD was dirt cheap ($119 in Sweetwater today) and I could ring out every venue easily with it. It would even light up the frequency sliders that needed attention.

https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0B3R

Here's the bit about feedback:

FBQ - Totally Feedback-Free

For more than 20 years, Behringer has designed and manufactured some of the most successful FBQ Feedback Elimination processors. Now you can own and enjoy the benefits of this technology, as we have integrated the revolutionary FBQ Feedback Detection System into this product, so your sound system is completely feedback-free, allowing you to focus on your performance. Utilizing an ultra-fast feedback detection system, this ingenious circuitry helps you recognize and tame feedback frequencies immediately. When feedback is sensed in a specific frequency range, the LED on the associated EQ fader illuminates, showing you at a glance which fader to lower to overcome the feedback. That simple!

Our local open mic' has a modern desk built in to the venue (a cinema) and that's run off an iPad with extensive e/q options. So putting an LCD up on stage there is no problem. They could just do with softening the back wall behind the small stage in the bar area. That's on the cards to be done soon hopefully.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 02-28-2024 at 04:53 AM.
Old 02-28-2024, 04:59 AM
Charter Member

My apologies if I missed it, but I haven't seen any comments about using "stick" systems for PA. A new start up OM in a neighboring small town (in a shoebox sized winery) uses a stick system, two mics, and a small 6-channel mixer with great success. this eliminates the need for multiple speakers, power mixer (or powered cabs) speaker stands...and what's really nice is not needing monitors. I know in the music realm, they are still relatively new, and so there's not as many second and third hand systems that people are willing to leave on stage all week, etc...

Having said that, amongst all the excellent advice here so far, the ONE thing that trumps all, and can make or break an OM, is the host and the prevailing attitude of the crowd. A welcoming, encouraging atmosphere, especially for noobs, will overcome just about any other shortcoming. Music really is about the shared human experience and community, and sometimes that gets lost in the mix.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 02-28-2024, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
Not even a little bit of reverb? It makes everything sound a little better, especially vocals
Yes, reverb - the old formula - turn it up until you can hear it then one notch back. However the hall is very large with a vaulted roof so it has it's own "space"
Old 02-28-2024, 06:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfChris View Post

I use just one Large Diaphragm Condenser mic - an original Rode NT1.

I place it about two feet away and half way between mouth and guitar.

For new comers, I advise them abut the mic, but I had one (one time) guest - a giant of a man with a voice like a steam train, who insisted on grabbing the mic and slobbering all over it.

I advised him between songs but he didn't get it.

I turned the mic off - he didn't notice but it saved a few eardrums.

Regarding the spot duration for guests.
I used to frequent a folk clubs where they asked floor spots for two or three songs which was OK apart from the "Celtic fiddlers or old time banjo players who decided to do medleys which they though counted as a single Number!

Also the people who would get on stage, start tuning (sigh)and say, "Um, what shall I do?" whilst leafing through a binder of hand written pages.

As a result of doing floor spots in folk clubs that were unable to time manage, I decided that everyone should have a 15 minute spot.

It had mixed effects:

1. It encouraged players to rehearse and time their spot (including) intro chat, tuning checks etc.

2. When they ask how many songs, I say "anything from one to 15, but you've got 15 minutes! The following time they might rehearse.

3, I found that many did what they wanted but finished early.

Note as the MC I ensure they have a seat if necessary, and place the mic stand as I want it.

I always announce them then clap them on and again as they walk off.

I also call for an applause for all who played at the end of the night.

BTW - the difference between an open mic and a club or singaround is that you don't have a listening audience in a pub open mic.
Old 02-28-2024, 09:03 AM

Asking for a bit of clarification, please? I read a number of people referring to the "host" when I believe what they mean is "Master (Mistress) of Ceremonies," or EmCee (MC). The host, in my view is the ice cream shop.
Old 02-29-2024, 10:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpuhan View Post
Asking for a bit of clarification, please? I read a number of people referring to the "host" when I believe what they mean is "Master (Mistress) of Ceremonies," or EmCee (MC). The host, in my view is the ice cream shop.
I guess it's a matter of semantics.
To me the person who runs the open mic is the host and the ice cream shop is the venue.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 03-02-2024, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Two things that I appreciate about a local open mic that I often attend:

You can sign up for a time slot on FB the evening before.

They use a webcam and a Zoom connection so people can watch (and participate) offsite. The hosts record the evening with Zoom for those that want to watch (or show) their performance later.
Old 03-02-2024, 04:48 PM

[QUOTE=L20A;7417010]I have a local Ice Cream Shop that hires musicians on the weekends.

What if a lot of the people that try to do the Open Mic are not very good?
How do you make an open Mic a great event?
Old 03-02-2024, 04:52 PM

[QUOTE=thestubbyone;7420192]
Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
I have a local Ice Cream Shop that hires musicians on the weekends.

The most attended open mics I have seen is where the good, the bad, and ugly are allowed and encouraged to play. Lesser attended venues have consistently the same very excellent musicians. If the purpose is getting more new customers in the store, encourage the newbies! They often bring in their cheerleader squads and you make a bonanza on the sales. And who goes to an ice cream store to listen to live music anywhere? Are they that particular?
Old 03-02-2024, 05:42 PM

Quote:

There are a LOT of reasonably competent musicians out there. And even just people watching is interesting.

The only OM participants who've actually caused me and the rest of the audience pain are "poets" and - even worse - "comedians" .

Aspiring OM organizers, DO NOT say "we welcome all types of performers". Trust my many years' experience of attending open mikes on this.
Old 03-02-2024, 06:01 PM

Quote:

Every open mic I've been to (a fair but not huge number) has included different levels of competence, as well as variations in styles, instrumentation, etc. You'll probably get some good'uns in the bunch.

D.H.
Old 03-02-2024, 07:44 PM

One of the reasons that I would like to see an Open Mic at the "Gandy Dancer Mercantile" in South Ogden Utah [Ice Cream Parlor] is to allow newer players a place to develop their talents.

These players will bring family and friends that will buy products form the establishment and help to keep their doors open.

There will be either a 2 or 3 song max per player.
Perhaps 2 songs for first time players, just in case.

The owners are on board and I have lined up a friend that will be the main Host.
We are working on logistics right now and hope to get the Open Mic started soon.

All of you have been a great help in putting it together.
We have shown your posts and suggestions to the owners and they are very excited to see this happen.

Wish us luck!

Last edited by L20A; 03-24-2024 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-03-2024, 05:55 AM

My ground rules as a Host, posted with the sign up sheet :

This is a Community , supporting your fellow Artists is a requirement for membership

This is a Business, supporting it allows Artists a place to play and is a requirement for participation in the evening

This is an ongoing Audition for Friday Night Acoustic shows, no outboard gear is allowed, that is reserved for booked Artists.

All sets are 2 songs, as time and talent allow more may be alloted at the Host's discretion .

First time Artists are given priority in the first hour, If you have played 3 shows you will be performing in the second half of the evening

Always cooperate with the Host and Staff, we are here to make you successful , please return the kindness

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion