The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-26-2015, 10:29 AM

Just picked up my 2nd Elliot-McKinney capo this past Friday in Brenham, Texas and love it. Worth every penny but I wish I could have purchased the Tony Rice model, just for the bling factor.

2010 Martin HD-28, 82 Martin D-35, 05 Huss & Dalton TDM Custom, 06 Garrison GD-30, and Yamaha FG-180 Red Label "The Pig".
Old 01-26-2015, 10:35 AM

I got myself an Elliott elite for a Xmas gift to myself. It was worth every penny. Spot-on intonation, stays on the guitar at all times for ease of portability and a small, unobtrusive footprint.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:45 AM

I've got one of those one-handed Kyser capos. Had it for about 10 years now. I've never used anything else- I hope other ones work better though. The Kyser throws my tunning out pretty badly. The Elliot capos mentioned in this thread look really interesting. Pricey though, at least for me. I might have to pony up though, they look really nicely made.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:46 AM

We have 4 Shubbs. One is over 20 years old, still works perfectly, no noticeable wear. Had a Kyser for a short time, didn't like it, and a friend was telling me that he thought he wanted to get a capo one day. I said, "I don't like this one, but it works fine. If you want to try it, you can have it. If you don't like it, give it to someone else."

Haven't tried anything else in the capo world, but the Shubbs work so well, I doubt I'll ever bother (unless I lose all of them and need one immediately and can't find a Shubb).

I capo up to the 7th fret on some songs, so I need adjustable tension.
Fender Standard Stratocaster - 2000
Genz-Benz Shenandoah Jr
Old 01-26-2015, 10:53 AM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleGibby58 View Post
Shubb. Have used the same ones for about 30 years, never a problem
or part replacement. A slam dunk no-brainer to me. They work very well.
Same here. In my opinion, the Shubb is the best combination of low-profile design, ease of use, adjustability, and effectiveness. I personally can't imagine what it could be lacking to make me spend more money or look elsewhere.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:57 AM

Shubb. Shubb.

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple
Old 01-26-2015, 11:25 AM

One that's become my favorite and doesn't get mentioned much is the Victor design, now being made by Dunlop. Stores on the headstock, easy to use, variable clamping, doesn't hang over the fretboard too far, looks good, and not too pricey.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:47 AM

Elliott, no question. Yes, they are expensive, but they work, you can slide an Elliott up and down the fretboard without needing to re-tune, so in a bluegrass jam session where you are changing keys after almost every song, it is perfect. So, it is convenient (stores over your nut), easy to use, precise, durable and dependable.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:06 PM

I "HAD" an original Tony Rice capo given to me by Wyatt at a concert in Boone, NC way back when. Never used it much due to it was just too slow, although it kept things well in tune. If you don't move it around too much its a pretty good choice...However personally I would never buy a $150.00 capo!! I sold it on eBay to a collector for $200.00 last year, he was dying to add it to his collection and is n expert on them. He lives in Waynesville, NC.

Anyway still have my most used capo the Shubb...work best for me...I have the original G7, Kyser and NS and a Dunlop. I vote the Shubb as a pro quality keeper, well built, easy to use and stay in tune contraption...and it's not too shiny...ha!
Old 01-26-2015, 12:14 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by posternutbag View Post
Elliott, no question. Yes, they are expensive, but they work, you can slide an Elliott up and down the fretboard without needing to re-tune, so in a bluegrass jam session where you are changing keys after almost every song, it is perfect. So, it is convenient (stores over your nut), easy to use, precise, durable and dependable.
This is not the first time I've seen this mentioned. Could someone please explain to me the physics of why an Elliott capo would not require retuning and a Shubb (or similar adjustable tension capo) would? Every capo I have used usually makes the low E and A strings go noticeably sharp, even if carefully placed and tensioned. I've seen the Elliott capos and can't decipher what the difference would be.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
This is not the first time I've seen this mentioned. Could someone please explain to me the physics of why an Elliott capo would not require retuning and a Shubb (or similar adjustable tension capo) would? Every capo I have used usually makes the low E and A strings go noticeably sharp, even if carefully placed and tensioned. I've seen the Elliott capos and can't decipher what the difference would be.
Great question......I'd like to know the supposed science myself.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:00 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
I believe it's primarily two things, maybe three, or four.

Straight pull
Precision adjustability
Stiffness of structure
Match to fretboard radius

I believe that stiffness is primary reason that the Paige capos don't work as well, even though the design is similar. If you use one next to an Elliot you'll notice how springy it is in comparison.

Shubbs work about as well for me, with one exception. On a hard bend of the high E string, the string will sometimes slip up under the and hang there. Doesn't happen on all songs, but it's a nuisance when it does.

Elliots are my preference, but I'd be quite content if I only had Shubbs. I've yet to find capos I like better than those two.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

Hi Sincerelyiris,
Welcome to the forum. I've tried lots of capos, and Shubb is my favorite (though I'm sure the Elliots are superb. I've still got the Shubb that my wife bought me for my 35th bday, and I'm fixin to turn 59. They work well, and they last.

The G7th didn't float my boat and was heavy as lead. Kysers and their ilk don't let you control the tension.

The planet waves ns is low profile and light--they are good. Finally, the Paige click is very convenient.

But if I just had one, it would be a Shubb.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 01-26-2015, 02:23 PM

I have been using the Paige "standard" (not the Clik version). I like the low profile and able to fine tune pressure easily. And last modest...price.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:48 PM

Thanks for all of your suggestions guys/girls! There are a bunch of brands you've suggested that I had never even heard of.

Thanks T Texas (Tybor) for the kinds words about my music!

Thanks for your time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, capo, capo's, d'addario, newbie