The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-10-2020, 07:05 PM

Default What Yamaha to get? FGX5 v FSX5 v LL16M v LS16M

Hello all,

After some thoughts from people who have played the guitars mentioned in the title.

In the market for new acoustic. This will be my only high end guitar (currently use an old entry level Ibanez dred) so versitily is the key.

Budget is £1200 buy would welcome spending less if it doesn't compromise quality. It looks like for the money Yamaha make some really high quality guitars that compete with guitars twice as expensive.

I'm really tempted by the models I've put in the title.

Lockdown and availablity in shops has prevented me from trying the Guitars so I will have to order online.

After hours of watching YouTube video's and reading reviews I still can't decide. My requirements are a solid buld with spruce top, Mahogany back and sides and some sort of pickup system to have play with some looping.

I have two main questions really.

From your experiences, which body size is the more versitle of the two? The larger FGX5/LL16M or smaller
FSX5/LS16M. I play a broad range of music including open chord strumming, melodic fingerstyle, delta blues and bluegrass flatpicking so something that does decent job at most things would be preferable. Anyone who has played models of each size, what were the notible differences?

Secondly, of the two ranges (F and L) I understand that the F range guitars thought of as better, but is it worth the extra money spent? On paper the guitars are very similar although I know the FGX5/FSX5 are hand made in Japan Vs factory build in China. I also know that the pickup systems are better in the FGX5/FSX5 however as I do not perform live or record, this is not something I care too much about. I only need the pickup system to mess around with a looper a bit. Unplugged tone is the priority. To give comparison, I can pick up a Yamaha LL16M for £550 locally Vs £1200 for the FGX5 online. It the FG worth paying an extra £700 for?

Also open to suggestions for other guitars, but nothing with a cutaway please!

Thanks,
.KS
Old 11-10-2020, 10:50 PM

I wish I've played all those. I own the rosewood version of the LL16, the build quality is very very good, the finish on it is pretty well flawless, in fact the finish looks cleaner than my brand new Guild! It feels exceptional in the hands. Sound is irrelevant as it's not the mahogany, but you're right it competes with guitars twice it's price. The LL16 is almost certainly going to be heavier built than the F5 series, but mine still is very loud. I mostly play melodic finger stuff and strumming, I love the LL16 for finger stuff. Nice string spacing at the bridge, I think the F series is the same though!
Looking inside the LL16, they're is no glue spots or anything, built in Yamaha's China factory with great attention to detail and exceptional QC.
Old 11-10-2020, 11:02 PM

I have owned the Yamaha ll16m and it was a great sounding guitar but it was a little to bright sounding for me. So I eventually sold it. I just recently bought the Yamaha FSX3 from Sweetwater and it is a really great sounding guitar. I have bought guitars that cost twice as much as this guitar and they don't compare to the Yamaha. So in my opinion I think that the Red label Yamahas are worth the extra cash. The pick up systems in them are really good too. The L series not so much. I know you said you weren't really worried about having a pick up in the guitar, but some where down the road you might find you would like to have it. I think if you try one of the red label Yamahas you will be glad you did. Read the reviews at Musicians friend. They are spot on. I was really surprised at the volume I get from the smaller body size of the fsx3. I imagine the fgx3 would have a little more bottom end to it. I already have 2 dreads so I was looking for another OM that would sound different than my Eastman E20om. The Yamaha fit the bill perfect. I will never sell it. So if you don't already have a dread and are looking for that sound you should maybe go that way. Thats up to you. Either way I don't think you will be disappointed with the red label Yamahas. The pick up system is the same in the 3 and 5 series.

Last edited by baw3; 11-10-2020 at 11:50 PM.
Old 11-11-2020, 12:08 AM

Smile My take on the FS5

I’ve owned a LS16, the Rosewood b/s for about 9 months. I currently own the FS5 for 1.5 years. The LS16’s neck is slightly beefier than the FS5. The FS5’s body depth is slightly slimmer than the LS16. I quoted what I said (below) in a very recent thread about the FS5. The link to that thread is also attached.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool555 View Post
I've owned my Yamaha FS5 since May 2019. It is a great guitar and sounds as good as many guitars twice its price. It has a good balance of bass and treble. Its tone is warm and it is vintage-sounding even when new, probably due to its ARE (torrefied top). It has good resonance and sustain. It has quite pronounced overtones for a mahogany b/s guitar. It shines in both strumming and finger-picked. In terms of aesthetics, it is classy, simple, vintage-looking with no frails or bling. The semi-gloss top and body has a smooth feel to it, unlike Satin-finish, which feels rougher. The workmanship is good and it comes with a nice hard cover case. Hope this information is helpful!
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=596744
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 11-11-2020, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karunasamatha View Post
Secondly, of the two ranges (F and L) I understand that the F range guitars thought of as better, but is it worth the extra money spent? On paper the guitars are very similar although I know the FGX5/FSX5 are hand made in Japan Vs factory build in China.
As I understand it a lot of the raw components including some of the woodworking on the FG stuff is still done in China, and then assembly/finishing happens in Japan... I wouldn't worry about that *too* much in the end, Yamaha is no slouch when it comes to manufacturing and they obviously did it this way to hit the price they did (the cheapest true MIJ Yamaha is the L*26 series, which is substantially more money...)
Old 11-11-2020, 04:21 AM

Hi KS

I haven't played the FG/FS5 models but I have owned a few Yamaha L Series. The quality is great. LL16 will be far more versatile than the LS16, as the smaller body lacks bass response so not great for strumming. I had an LS16m, recently sold it after trying to get on with it for a while but I was always frustrated with it for its lack of versatility.
Old 11-11-2020, 04:29 AM

I own a LL6 and FS5.
In terms of sound the F series is more warm n woody. Since u chose mahogany back n sides I would think u will prefer a woodier n warmer tone.
As for the playability I would prefer the FG neck as I find the ll neck slightly chunky and hard to fret the 6th string using thumb.
If you prefer more bass then FG. If not I think FS is very well balanced.
Yamaha LL6
Old 11-11-2020, 06:02 PM

I miss my ll16 every day. Wish I had never sold it Love my Taylor 710 (DN7) though and I didn't need a third guitar that was the same basic shape.
2015 Taylor GS-Mini e (Walnut/Sitka)
Old 11-11-2020, 06:08 PM

I just ordered an FSX5 this afternoon
Old 11-11-2020, 06:43 PM

I have the FG5 bought it in September.... Shockingly outstanding acoustic. I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it is. Workmanship is precise not one adjustment was made after taking it out of the box. It compares to a D18 maybe a little deeper bass a little more woody sound. I wouldn't have a negative thing to say about the FG5 if I would have paid double for it .But just under $1000 is unbelievable. I'm picky,played since I was 11 years old that's 55 years. I rate this FG5 with the best I have played.
Old 11-11-2020, 09:34 PM

I second that Cibby. I was amazed at how good my FSX3 sounded too. For a 1000 bucks. I just don't see how you can beat it.
Old 11-11-2020, 11:18 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ds114 View Post
I just ordered an FSX5 this afternoon
Great choice! Tell us how it compares with your Taylor 314, after you’ve played it for a while.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 11-16-2020, 05:37 PM

Default FS

I recently purchased an FS5. It is a fantastic guitar. It has a woody tone with really good sustain. Build quality is perfection. I could not find any In stock anywhere so I ordered from CME with out playing it. Glad I did.
Old 11-16-2020, 05:55 PM

I got the FSX5 I mentioned above and absolutely love it. On another note, I went to GC the other day to check out a cheapo 12 fret and on my way out stumbled on an LS16M at I price I couldn't refuse, so I didn't refuse
Old 11-16-2020, 06:28 PM

FS800 or FG800

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
fgx5, fsx5, ll16m, ls16m, yamaha