The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-24-2018, 04:13 PM

Default Yamaha Fg180 50th Anniv

Found this guitar brand new (1 last piece) in a guitar store near me and I am thinking of buying it. Sounds nice for the money despite the high action (needs a good setup).

Anyone here that has the same guitar? Is this a good guitar? I am an electric guitar player and I am looking to buy a dread for blues stuff, some strumming and some fingerpicking practice and writing songs.

Also the store carries an LL16D ARE..which one would you buy? the have almost the same price...
Old 07-24-2018, 05:42 PM

The FG180 will have better resale value. It's a limited edition instrument made in Japan.
The FG180's neck is more like an electric guitar neck. So, given that you're mainly an electric player, I'd go for the made in Japan instrument.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Hello and welcome to the Forum!

I have an FG-180 50th Anniversary bought new two years ago. I'm a fan of the original FG Red Label models and find this to be a very good guitar. Solid mahogany with a "baked" Sitka Spruce top, very enjoyable! One thing to note is it is made in China, not Japan though.

Not sure of the price you are looking at but I'd check Reverb and eBay to see any sold listings, to get an idea of the going rate.

There are fans of the LL16 but I'm not familiar with the model myself. Best of luck!

Last edited by Quake17; 07-24-2018 at 07:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-24-2018, 07:50 PM

I'd go for the FG-180. My FGX730SC has been a great guitar for 8 years now. I can't imagine how good the 180 would be.

I am fortunate to own a Japan made A5R which is awesome!
I owned a LL16M ARE which sounded great but with the wider neck, was a little tougher to move around the neck on.

Both guitars are good, but for a mostly electric player, the 180's neck is going to be way better for you imho.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:11 PM

I owned an FG180 50th for 2 years - great guitar. I like hog guitars, but I prefer my LL16D rosewood - it’s a bit louder and brighter - a bit more to my taste. As for the neck, both have very playable necks.

I agree the resale value will be higher in the limited edition. Both guitars are great - kinda depends on the sound you are after.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 07-24-2018, 09:22 PM

Sorry for the misinformation that limited edition was made in Japan.
With the conflicting advice, I'd snatch the ltd before someone else does and then try some other dreads in your price range.
The LL-TA btw costs the same as the LL16D. They're identical in sound. It's extra abalone inlay vs. onboard reverb and chorus.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
50th, fg-180, fg180, yamaha