The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-08-2020, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Yes I’m talking about the day one guitars last year and even then some were fine. Any Acoustasonic that you buy now will be perfect like this Strat. It was only minor things anyway, I heard about a weak high E string and the pickup wire hole was too small in my original tele guitar, they also did not have a string tree but now they all do. If anyone has an early Tele these are all easy fixes and I’m sure that Fender would get it resolved for you. For anyone buying now you are all good.
One of the great things about a UST is you can tweak string balance with little slips of paper under the saddle. Before I went HFN, you would find my Elements all had three layers of paper between the saddle and UST under the high E. Not because the high E was too weak for acoustic guitar, but to cover rock lead solos in an acoustic duo it was a crutch that I miss today with the HFNs (clearly I figured out how to live with it).

My late breaking IR addiction would have been better timed before I went HFN, but my most basic motivation was to get all my guitars on the same pickup without drilling the new ones (thus no USTs), no electronics/batteries/supercaps in the guitar (thus no active pickups), and no permanent glue (thus no K&K).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 03-08-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
One of the great things about a UST is you can tweak string balance with little slips of paper under the saddle. Before I went HFN, you would find my Elements all had three layers of paper between the saddle and UST under the high E. Not because the high E was too weak for acoustic guitar, but to cover rock lead solos in an acoustic duo it was a crutch that I miss today with the HFNs (clearly I figured out how to live with it).
I've never done this, but wouldn't the slips of paper deaden/reduce the volume of the section of saddle/transducer they were slipped between?

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 03-08-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
I've never done this, but wouldn't the slips of paper deaden/reduce the volume of the section of saddle/transducer they were slipped between?
It increases the pressure on the UST only at that point and raises the volume for that string(s). Paper is basically incompressible and works as well as sanding the saddle bottom to achieve the same effect (in this case removing saddle to make the louder strings softer). Another technique is to paint the saddle bottom with several coats of cyanoacrylate glue where you want the extra volume.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
acoustasonic, fender