The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-11-2020, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Here's another test of the Shure MV88+, this time recorded live (room sound), guitar and mic into an L1c, with the Shure mic about 8 feet away....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s45f...ature=youtu.be

I did get this from Apple, as the other music outlets I usually buy from didn't have it in stock. Ordered on Sunday, arrived Wednesday evening; not bad, considering we live at "the edge of the country" and the current circumstances.

This may be one of the few bits of equipment I've bought that is as easy to use as the advertising would have you believe. As with any mic, you have to determine best placement, and make adjustments in the mic setting. I had this set to 135º for the polar pattern, a minor EQ adjustment, set on "acoustic" setting. This is in my music room at home, and the volume on the PA is set low.

At some point, I may try a Facebook Live post with this. With everything live music related shut down, this looks to be an easy way to get a video out there. Lighting was a ceiling overhead fixture, and just a bit of side lighting from a window. Pretty much zero effort in that respect. The camera was set for the "selfie" side so I could see what I was getting; lower resolution than the back camera. Wardrobe was shorts and a Billy Joel concert t-shirt. No hair or make-up enhancement, since I don't have much hair and after 67 years of letting my natural beauty shine through, I figured this was no time to change that up... although I may be getting close to the point that I will no longer be able to get by on just my looks.

This is a good time to have a sense of humor. Listening to this with a good set of headphones, there is a marked difference compared to just the iPhone mic. It has been 10 days now since I've been in our car or gotten off the small island where we live. I think one of these Shure kits is a good way to let people know you're still kicking.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 04-17-2020 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-11-2020, 02:01 PM

Does anyone know if the Shure MV88+ can be plugged into a PC also? I am looking for a USB microphone...but if the Shure MV88 can be used as that it would open up a lot of possibilities.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

I haven't tried it, but the Android cord does have a USB-C end... so I would imagine it could be connected.

------

Did I mention: easy? All this "stay at home" stuff and some new equipment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji9K...ature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr3Z...ature=youtu.be

I first listened to these on the phone speaker... pretty tinny. Put on a set of headphones... oh, that's better.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 04-17-2020 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-15-2020, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

After a couple days with other stuff to attend to, another "stay at home" song, made with the MV88+ kit and an iPhone...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAgY...ature=youtu.be

Another cover of a Jimmy Buffett song. I don't play a lot of Buffett songs these days (I can do about a solid hour of his songs when necessary), but I guess it seems to fit with being home on an island and no place to go... or that you can get to with the Po-Po having checkpoints in the town just off our island. No non-essential outings. (a double negative, but I'm thinking there must be some interpretation of what is "essential" - what if I need a fresh set of strings??)

Last edited by TomB'sox; 04-17-2020 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Anyone using this with an Android phone, mine is a Galaxy S9. Just wondering on compatibility etc.

Thanks
I recently purchased the MV88+ and I have a Galaxy S8 active. For making videos, the microphone sounds great. The MOTIV app for android is a beta app, but functions well. There is a compatibility chart, but in my opinion, it doesn't give all the information that I would want to see if I was purchasing this for an android phone.

My first attempt to do a Facebook Live video with the mic, there was nothing but static. After digging for information, I found this https://service.shure.com/s/article/...language=en_US

Also, my phone doesn't provide enough power to allow for monitoring the levels with headphones. The sound coming to the headphones from the mic is barely audible. To sound check, I just record a little bit, ungplug the mic, plug in the head phones, rinse and repeat.

Luckily for me, my wife has an iPhone. I was able to do my live streaming with her phone, and I can also use her phone to set up the mic and get the EQ set while monitoring the sound through headphones.

It is still a great mic, but I would look elsewhere if I only had an android phone. I also feel like it would only be ethical for the Shure website to make it known that facebook live is not supported on android devices at this time.
2015 Martin HD28E Retro
1953 Gibson J45
2004 Martin Custom D
www.coleallenmusic.com
https://youtu.be/a0CwYWvCG90
Old 04-16-2020, 03:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hi Doug,
At the risk of repeating myself on yet another AG section, I did this video with my Shure MV88. It’s placed to pick up the Fishman Loudbox and the guitar acoustically, although I did no monitoring. Just looked at the VU’s. I’m playing into an AKG lectern mic. I’ve got a 3’ extension for the MV88, so wherever it’s best it can go.

HE
Old 04-16-2020, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Sounds good Howard! I'd prefer micing closer for a studio sound (and not using amp - I'd be micing the guitar), but what you're doing works! Gotta be better than the builtin camera mics
Old 04-16-2020, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

I think I just really understood what you're doing. Instead of getting the mic close to you, you're getting the guitar sound close to the mic, by playing thru the fishman. Clever! The key is to not be micing from across an untreated room, no matter how you achieve it.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Hi Doug,
At the risk of repeating myself on yet another AG section, I did this video with my Shure MV88. It’s placed to pick up the Fishman Loudbox and the guitar acoustically, although I did no monitoring. Just looked at the VU’s. I’m playing into an AKG lectern mic. I’ve got a 3’ extension for the MV88, so wherever it’s best it can go.

HE
Very nice! I have been using the MV88+ to pick up the room sound, and haven't tried it with the amp closer to the mic. I will give that a shot, next (when I can get a lightning connector extension). I assume you are using the mic on the "loud" setting, since using it close to the amp?

Last edited by Captain Jim; 04-16-2020 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-16-2020, 11:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

Doug, Jim,
The MV88 is about 3 feet away from my guitar and the amp, which is basically under the headstock of the guitar.

Treated room? Hardly, so to speak:-)

Slate floor 14 x 26 with a cathedral ceiling. There’s a couch and area rug in the middle, but no matter.

All these video recordings that I do are for mental editing. I listen to them over and over to reinforce the stuff I like AND the stuff I DON’T like.

I DO try to make it palatable to listen to, but if I spend more than 2 minutes getting set up it’s a lot! Clearly the tweeter was too hot, the delay setting was also overbearing, but I love where the arrangement is situated.

The technical shortcomings are far overshadowed by the music & performance, so for my purposes it’s perfect. The clams are included at no extra charge:-)

The mental editing knowledge that I gain is what i take into the studio with me so that $85.00/hour is wisely spent!

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 04-17-2020, 04:14 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hi Doug, Hi Jim,
For an example of the Shure MV88 plugged directly into my iPhone 6s, and placed right in front, here's a lesson segment I did for a student. Totally dry, and then uploaded to Youtube.

I think that there's no better, simpler way to do a very good quality video with really good sound, with little muss or fuss.

I'm teaching my knuckle busting composition, '...and why not?', in open C tuning, here. It's featured on my A Tale To Tell cd.

HE
Old 04-17-2020, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Good tips and fine playing Howard - thanks for sharing with us!
Old 04-17-2020, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Sounds good, Howard. I'd still prefer a mic I can place independently of the phone - I'm using the Blue Raspberry, also very easy, just plug it in. But you're getting great results.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:02 PM

Default Apogee MIC

Doug,
Believe I saw you some years past at a house show in Bay Village OH with my buddy Al Struck whom I think you might know. When I record videos, I use an Apogee MIC to plug into the iphone or Ipad. Then I can indeed move the mic closer, and raise it up or lower if there are vocals involved. I have a Sure MV88 as well, and between the two I use the Apogee far more often.
Best of luck to you.
Rick Benjamin
Old 04-17-2020, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin1884 View Post
Doug,
Believe I saw you some years past at a house show in Bay Village OH with my buddy Al Struck whom I think you might know. When I record videos, I use an Apogee MIC to plug into the iphone or Ipad. Then I can indeed move the mic closer, and raise it up or lower if there are vocals involved. I have a Sure MV88 as well, and between the two I use the Apogee far more often.
Best of luck to you.
Rick Benjamin
I don't think that was me (tho I did used to live in Ohio). I haven't tried the Apogee MIC (I do have an MV88 - original version, attaches directly to the phone), but it does look like a good easy solution.

Last edited by Doug Young; 04-17-2020 at 12:25 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD