The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-09-2012, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgvintage View Post
I know many of you guys don't know me as I haven't posted here much
Hi tlgvintage

Glad we have the opportunity for you to hang around longer...your title for this thread is appropriate.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-09-2012, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

I wish you a speedy recovery TLG -- you are very fortunate to have survived that wreck. I'm glad you have your guitars to help you work through this recovery. We are all fortunate to have music in our lives. I know that every day that I can continue to play is a gift. I can see that's certainly true for you. Get well!

- Glenn
Old 12-09-2012, 10:17 AM

Speedy recovery!Man that sunburst Bougeois is really sharp!
Old 12-10-2012, 12:34 AM

Wow, a real bad smash… did they have to use the ‘jaws of life’ to cut you out of the car? Either way… you’re a lucky boy.

I actually started playing guitar because of a road accident. Thirty one years ago, I crashed a motorcycle at high speed and took my right kneecap off and could no longer play drums, well the bass drum in particular… and a very good mate saw my musical frustration and gave me a guitar. That was the start.

The guitar was real good therapy for me too… actually it still is.

Get well soon.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:48 AM

Having been there after a motercycle accident, I too am glad you are able to play on! These things of wood comfort in time and places we never knew existed.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

So glad that you are on the mend and thanks for sharing this important reminder. It is easy to take things for granted. I had a minor finger injury over the last couple of months and even that small thing made me appreciate my guitar playing more.

With gratitude for every day being an opportunity to do what we love and be ourselves with who we love...

Best,
Jayne
Old 12-10-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landru View Post
I'm with you, every step of the way. Been there - you'll come all the way back. Guitars keep us alive, and your guitars son fantasticas!
What he said. I had a motorcycle crash back in '78 that was just about the end of me. Couldn't play at all for nine months due to injuries to my left arm and hand, but since it took me a little over two years to (mostly completely) recover, that still gave me some time to play and as soon as I could I did. Ended up playing classical exclusively for several years (couldn't play steel string for a LONG time after my accident), so I actually expanded my abilities.

Wishing you a complete and speedy recovery.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgvintage View Post
Thanks for the words of encouragement guys. I've found through all of this that a good attitude goes a long ways.
Very inspiring story...playing guitar has proven to be very therapeutic for me as well.

You've got a great stable of guitars....I did notice that you describe your '62 D-18 as "Red Spruce/Mahogany". Martin had switched to Sitka Spruce years before. Was your guitar re-topped?
Old 12-10-2012, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Hi,

In 1983, I woke up one day paralysed from the neck down. The problenm was diagnosed as something called Sarcoidosis which had attacked my lymphatic system which in turned seized up all my joints. I could not play any more and my D35, dobro and mandolin were put in the atic....for ten years.

As I slowly worked back into some form of mobility which did take almost ten years of remarkable pain and ruined my professional life - I one day drove past a club where I used to play. I stopped and peeked in and found it as busy and enthusiastic as ever.

I resolved to teach myself to play again and (with some trouble) got my instruments down from the hot/cold uninsulated attic. All were in perfect condition!

It took some time to get my fingers and voice to work well enough to perform - but I did it.

Now I am retired and vow to play everywhere I can for as long as I can. I don't worry about whether I get paid for gigs or not - I just want to play.

You don't miss your water 'til the well runs dry !

Ol' Andy

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion