The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-02-2014, 06:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
My understanding is the three K&K pickup discs are a single-plane pickups, whereas the Trance Amulet consists of two pickups, each being a three-plane pickup. The Trance systems are more expensive because they also come with a preamp: on-board with on-board battery power for the Dual Mono system, and on-board with external power supply/mixer for the more expensive Stereo system. I have two Trance Audio Dual Mono systems I'm currently not using but have used and I think they're excellent systems. I've been too lax in removing the Lyric system from my Taylor 528 First Edition to install a Trance system in it because my new Taylors with the new Expression System 2 sound so good!

Regards,

SpruceTop
I've heard that about the new Taylors and would love to hear one.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast

Last edited by MaurysMusic; 09-02-2014 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-02-2014, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
I've heard that about the new Taylors and would love to hear one.
Hi Maury,

I find the Taylor Expression System 2 sounds like a cross between a UST with its immediacy, and an SBT with its top and body resonance but with no quack and good gain-before-feedback. I hope you get to try the ES 2 real soon.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 09-02-2014, 05:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Hi Maury,

I find the Taylor Expression System 2 sounds like a cross between a UST with its immediacy, and an SBT with its top and body resonance but with no quack and good gain-before-feedback. I hope you get to try the ES 2 real soon.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Sounds really nice.
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 09-02-2014, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Thank you all for letting me know I have to buy a new preamp!!! ..I'm am checking out the Headway EDB 2...The Great River PA is just more than I want to spend!!!
Paul
[SIZE="2"][/SIZE]2007 Fender EJ Strat, Tom Anderson Classic T, Taylor GS BTO (Madagascar Rosewood/Sinker Redwood Top), 2014 Collings CJ MhA, 2022 Gibson (Fuller’s Special) Advanced Jumbo, 1965 Fender Vibrolux Reverb, DR Z MAZ 38 MK II Senior Reverb, DR Z EZG-50...To be cont'd!!!

Last edited by PJW648; 09-12-2014 at 04:38 AM.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:28 PM

Well, I was sorta kidding about the Great River pre. Bet it would sound great though in an acoustic setup. If you want to stick with a mixer for extra input, the Allen & Heath Zed mixers have some very nice, clean, quiet preamps. The 10FX has a dedicated input for hi z guitar input with a 20db booster. Sweepable mid eq. Very handy for acoustic and a mic or two. Small too. I've also found the DTar Equinox to be a very nice preamp with huge eq capability.

Good luck with your setup. I imagine the Mackie preamps will do you just fine should you decide to just stick with them. Not a thing wrong with them.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:57 PM

While it's entirely possible that he's using a KM184, it's also possible he's using the original, the KM84, which was a warmer sounding mic. No longer made, unfortunately.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJW648 View Post
Thank you all for letting me know I have to but a new preamp!!! ..I'm am checking out the Headway EDB 2...
I just posted a review of the EDB-2 here
that's me on guitar
Old 09-04-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royd View Post
I just posted a review of the EDB-2 here
The Headway comes into its own when using an external mix. The various EQ options do effect sound in different ways. If you are using an USP the you might find it worth simply EQing this channel and working with the mic by placement. An EQ on the blended signal will also allow you to get a good sound.

You probably know this already but soundcheck by raising the mic channel gain as high as you can without feedback; then bring in the pickup gain to bring up th master output.

I find when playing solo I can usually work predominantly on the mic allowing the pickup to fill out the sound. But even when the pickup is dominant in the mix the mic will give you that mic spaciousness which is what you are looking for!

Good luck getting to know it!
Old 09-04-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Howell View Post
The Headway comes into its own when using an external mix. The various EQ options do effect sound in different ways. If you are using an USP the you might find it worth simply EQing this channel and working with the mic by placement. An EQ on the blended signal will also allow you to get a good sound.

You probably know this already but soundcheck by raising the mic channel gain as high as you can without feedback; then bring in the pickup gain to bring up th master output.

I find when playing solo I can usually work predominantly on the mic allowing the pickup to fill out the sound. But even when the pickup is dominant in the mix the mic will give you that mic spaciousness which is what you are looking for!

Good luck getting to know it!
Actually, it's best to raise that mic channel gain to just below the point-of-feed-back,,,,and then,,,, dial it back a minimum of 3-6dB's. This will give you a safer operating margin, and provide a little extra headroom in case the volume gets cranked up, as the evening progresses, or,,,in case you end up playing a little more aggressively than you did in the original sound-check.

As long as the input gain is clean (well above the channels' noise-floor), your good to go.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

Default Headway EDB-2...

Okay, I swear this is it!!! The last piece of the puzzle of live acoustic tonal nirvana (Again!!!)/(I hope!!) The EDB-2 is on it's way!! I will report back after I have had a little quality time with it (and the Trance/KM-184)!!!

Paul
[SIZE="2"][/SIZE]2007 Fender EJ Strat, Tom Anderson Classic T, Taylor GS BTO (Madagascar Rosewood/Sinker Redwood Top), 2014 Collings CJ MhA, 2022 Gibson (Fuller’s Special) Advanced Jumbo, 1965 Fender Vibrolux Reverb, DR Z MAZ 38 MK II Senior Reverb, DR Z EZG-50...To be cont'd!!!
Old 09-06-2014, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberkowitz View Post
While it's entirely possible that he's using a KM184, it's also possible he's using the original, the KM84, which was a warmer sounding mic. No longer made, unfortunately.
Bingo unfortunate indeed that Neumann no longer makes the 84,
Many feel the the 184 while being a great mic is not as smooth on the high end compared to the 84. I suspect it also really depends on the specific guitar being played.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4
Old 09-06-2014, 08:13 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJW648 View Post
Okay, I swear this is it!!! The last piece of the puzzle of live acoustic tonal nirvana (Again!!!)/(I hope!!) The EDB-2 is on it's way!! I will report back after I have had a little quality time with it (and the Trance/KM-184)!!!

Paul
That's gonna sound GOOOOOOD.
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 09-06-2014, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Default Question

Aloha,

Will the Headway EDB-2 allow you to separately EQ both sources separately to maximize & control each for the venue in which you will play?

alohachris
Old 09-06-2014, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
Aloha,

Will the Headway EDB-2 allow you to separately EQ both sources separately to maximize & control each for the venue in which you will play?

alohachris

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 09-06-2014 at 03:07 PM. Reason: added 2nd picture
Old 09-06-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
Aloha,

alohachris
No you can't separately EQ each channel - but I've never really found this a problem.Headway aim for an external mic blended with pickup and NOT an internal mic. On the J Browne set up it should work well - with dual in source pickups I am not quite so sure although if you can set EQ internally (Lyric) you should be Ok!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification