The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-06-2014, 12:07 PM

I have a K&K in my Rainsong Shorty.

It's not as "plug and play" friendly as a Fishman. You really need to use either an external preamp or a DI box. Otherwise it can get boomy.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 04-09-2014, 08:07 AM

Unhappy

The yellow you see may be the yolk from the egg on my face. I can find no other information regarding the voicing of the Fishman systems in Rainsong instruments. I had spoken to a (un-named) dealer regarding the Fishman system in Rainsongs (was just getting ready to buy) and he mentioned that a good deal of work had went into the voicing of the electronics for CF guitars. It certainly seemed reasonable, at least until it was challenged. Thinking back it seems that vibration is vibration (in guitars) and the pick-up changes that to an electronic signal (I hope) and sends it on the way to the amp.
Let this be a lesson to you folks...THIS IS EXACTLY THE WAY RUMORS START!
Uhhh...and thanks for letting me set this example for you. See, I threw my self on the sword for your benefit. Really.
OK, I'm not going to ever make another mistake on this forum.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbigfly View Post
The yellow you see may be the yolk from the egg on my face. I can find no other information regarding the voicing of the Fishman systems in Rainsong instruments. I had spoken to a (un-named) dealer regarding the Fishman system in Rainsongs (was just getting ready to buy) and he mentioned that a good deal of work had went into the voicing of the electronics for CF guitars. It certainly seemed reasonable, at least until it was challenged. Thinking back it seems that vibration is vibration (in guitars) and the pick-up changes that to an electronic signal (I hope) and sends it on the way to the amp.
Uhhh...and thanks for letting me set this example for you. See, I threw my self on the sword for your benefit. Really.
This is what a forum is about, I have shared many things that I later found not to right. That how we all learn what is right.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 04-09-2014, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
This is what a forum is about, I have shared many things that I later found not to right. That how we all learn what is right.
Wait... so you're saying we are supposed to know what we are talking about??? That's REALLY gonna cut down the number of posts around here.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Hey bigfly. You could have just aimed this post right at me. I wasn't trying to insult at all. I just wanted to share information. GOOD information. This happens to be an area that I do know a good deal about because of my own questions years ago and the research I've done to answer them. Do I know as much about acoustic amplification as Doug Young? Ken Donnell? Larry Fishman? L.R. Baggs? Not even close- but I'm a big fan of sharing information with others if you have it. On the other hand, I'm also not a fan of those who mislead people with bad information especially to make a sale.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:50 AM

No insult was taken in any manner. Really.
This is a great forum and I know that I tend to try to be aware of incorrect info (the curse of the internet), just forgot to check my own info. That's never going to happen again! This week, anyway....
Old 04-10-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
No insult was taken in any manner. Really.
This is a great forum and I know that I tend to try to be aware of incorrect info (the curse of the internet), just forgot to check my own info. That's never going to happen again! This week, anyway....
Cool. Glad we cleared that up. Sometimes these forum places can get slippery and people get worked up- all you have to do is read the Zager threads (if they are still even up) to see what I mean. I'm not interested in anything but learning- and that is the best thing about this forum. We need to keep it that way
Old 04-21-2014, 09:43 PM

My CA Cargo (w/LR Baggs Element) usually gives me feedback problems (plugged straight into a PA) without my Baggs Venue preamp to notch out the troublesome frequencies.
Buscarino Starlight nylon, Martin 000C-RGTE, Godin nylon duet ambiance, Breedlove Bossa Nova, cedar/EIR, Breedlove SC-20, cedar/walnut, Ovation Nylon LX1773, CA Cargo, CA GX, Larrivee 00-03, sitka/hog
Old 05-12-2014, 10:43 AM

M80? Excellent choice. No feedback, very nice sound reproduction ... try using two small pieces of cork (bottom side only, the M80 sliders that make contact with the underside of the sound hole. If it still slips then add the top pads but I doubt you'll need too). You can find cork anywhere online (I'm referring to a thin sheet but you can slice your own pads from a wine bottle cork - works just as good). Use cork, for I understand it's the best material for not interacting with polyurethane and pretty much all other finishes

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
carbon fiber, electronics, pickup of cf