The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-18-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
The real problem with goofballs like this is that sometimes they manage to survive their stupidity and others have to risk their lives to rescue them.

I recall a story of a hiker going missing in Montana. Search turned up nothing. Following Spring, another hiker found an 8mm movie camera and turned it in to rangers. To find out who might own it, they got the film developed and its turns out it was the missing hiker. His last footage was close-ups of a grizzly with two cubs.
Agree with that.

Anyone has the right to put themselves up for a Darwin award but they deserve no sympathy when innocent people have to clear up the mess. (and usually at the expense of the tax payer).

YouTube
Old 07-19-2018, 12:29 AM

I am pissed off at them. For being idiots. They are part of the SELFIE generation who want to IMPRESS others with being LIKED.

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-19-2018 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 07-19-2018, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
I am pissed off at them. For being idiots. They are part of the SELFIE generation who want to IMPRESS others with being LIKED.
I actually don't really care about this incident and I'm not angry so much as ambivalent , but agreed they were way into selfie BS. Honestly I found their going off trail in Yellowstone episode and damaging the ecosystem just to get selfie's of their own selfishness,, to be the particularly egregious stunt.This fatal result while sad for the families may just be the tragic if predictable possible result of where their actions were leading

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-19-2018 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Deleted part of quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:38 AM

As a great philosopher once said, "If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough"
Old 07-19-2018, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Pontificating on someone's grave strikes me as a bad look.

Condolences to the families and friends of those who passed.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:23 AM
G625 mistral-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
The real problem with goofballs like this is that sometimes they manage to survive their stupidity and others have to risk their lives to rescue them.
Agreed, however it is not just the danger to first responders, it is the danger of of others being inspired to follow in their footsteps:
According to the article, they have more than a half million followers on YouTube and 1.1 million followers on Instagram. The article even mentions they had corporate sponsors at one time including Budweiser, so prior to dropping their sponsorship, it seems companies directly or indirectly encouraged this sort of behavior.

Lastly, the GoFundMe effort did not produce the results they expected however the girlfriend of one of individuals tragically killed is described as an "Instagram Influencer"
It is a tragic story for the friends and family of those 3 who lost their lives. As others have observed, when we are young many individuals may feel invincible. So, I have to wonder how many of their young followers who feel that invincibility will attempt to imitate this group, which may result in more lives being ruined.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:56 AM

The loss of life is sad, but the old saying “play stupid games win stupid prizes” remains true. I’m not defending the actions of these people and I’m probably 5-7 years older than this group, but it’s a little narrow minded and short sighted for someone to comment like that about a whole generation.

Every generation has had its idiots. I’m not big on a lot of things people my generation do as far as entitlement and social media. That doesn’t mean that the whole generation of younger people are stupid. It’s a bad look to call out a whole generation whether it’s millenials or baby boomers and or anybody else before or after.

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-19-2018 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Deleted reference
Old 07-19-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
The loss of life is sad, but the old saying “play stupid games win stupid prizes” remains true. I’m not defending the actions of these people and I’m probably 5-7 years older than this group, but it’s a little narrow minded and short sighted for someone to comment like that about a whole generation.

Every generation has had its idiots. I’m not big on a lot of things people my generation do as far as entitlement and social media. That doesn’t mean that the whole generation of younger people are stupid. It’s a bad look to call out a whole generation whether it’s millenials or baby boomers and or anybody else before or after.
Well said, sir. Tarring a whole generation for the actions of a few is not true or helpful. I remember the invectives hurled against the "Tune in, turn on, and drop out" generation, ie. the Baby Boomers. That label was no more true than this one.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-19-2018 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Probably worth pointing out that risky behavior requiring rescue has been around a lot longer than cell phones.

Should we lob insults at Royal Robbins, Yvon Chouinard, Warren Harding, Tom Frost or the countless other baby boomers who risked and lost their lives courting danger in the high mountains?

Probably not. Throw in a cell phone and some from the baby boom generation seem to be chomping at the bit to lecture us all. i'm not a millennial, but man, it must be tiresome listening to that kind of preaching.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:45 AM

People did not do many of these things before Youtube.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
People did not do many of these things before Youtube.
Huh ??? Guess it depends on the definition "these things "

Post selfies and video on Youtube ? kind of obvious people did not do any of that before Youtube.

Show off for attention and engage is risky behavior humm ?? kind of been around pretty much since the dawn of humanity

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 07-20-2018, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Probably worth pointing out that risky behavior requiring rescue has been around a lot longer than cell phones.

Should we lob insults at Royal Robbins, Yvon Chouinard, Warren Harding, Tom Frost or the countless other baby boomers who risked and lost their lives courting danger in the high mountains?

Probably not. Throw in a cell phone and some from the baby boom generation seem to be chomping at the bit to lecture us all. i'm not a millennial, but man, it must be tiresome listening to that kind of preaching.
Agreed seems like some of it is a version of "You kids get off my lawn"
Although I'm a baby boomer, and again I could care less about people posting selfie material on Youtube. And I don't have a problem with the occasional search and rescue ( to a certain level of ill preparedness and or stupidity) ..... But I do object to illegally damaging the fragile Yellowstone ecosystems in the process.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 07-20-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Huh ??? Guess it depends on the definition "these things "

Post selfies and video on Youtube ? kind of obvious people did not do any of that before Youtube.

Show off for attention and engage is risky behavior humm ?? kind of been around pretty much since the dawn of humanity
Yup. Going over Niagra Falls in a barrel. Stunt flyers in the early days of airplanes. Playing chicken a la “American Graffiti”. Just the first three to come to mind. Oh yeah....Evel Kneivel too.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:27 PM

The first running of the bulls in Pamplona dates back to the 14th century. Adrenalin junkies are nothing new.

Who thought up the idea of bull riding for a rodeo sport? More young male testosterone filled people would be my bet.

The mental midgets of the past just lacked the ability to post their lack of IQ for all to see.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 07-20-2018, 03:54 PM

The only difference between then and now is where there used to be millions of "idiots" there are now hundreds-of-millions of "idiots" - including myself at times.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic