The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-28-2018, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Default A surprising NGD, Jazzmaster

I recently sold most of my electrics with the intent of staying mostly accoustic. Then I bought the 12 string Dano (see other thread) which kind of got me back into the electric thing.

My problem is that I want the twang, but I also want smooth-echoing-jazzy-reverby sounds. So, I jumped from single coil to humbuckers, then back and forth. Today I played a new Squire J Mascis Jazzmaster and it knocked my shoes off. The bridge gives me very nice twang (very surf like) and the neck gives me very smooth jazzy tones when I roll back the tone. It's almost like a cross between a tele and an LP. I fell in love instantly, and with a GC $100 off sale, it had to come home with me.

This thing really has a vibe that I never got with my teles, strats, hollow bodies, and LP-like guitars. So far, I'm really just enjoying the heck out of it!

Stock image below. Real one to come soon.0301060541_gtr_frt_001_rr.jpg
Old 04-28-2018, 07:36 PM

Very nice rig. Yours are the very same reasons I had for getting my G&L Asat Special with the single coil MFD (Magnetic Field Design) pickups - more general purpose than a strict tele, yet easy to get the twang on the bridge when you want it, while it's as easy to soften the neck for jazzier stuff - plus the pickups are suited to pedals. The G&L's long scale, though (and no tremolo), while your JM is 24+, I believe. I do like the shorter Gibson-type scale, but could get that with G&L only via custom order.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Congrats! I love my CP Jag. I replaced the trash stock bridge with a roller bridge. One of the best “mods” that can be done to the Jag/Jazz. Looking forward to seeing pics of your new addition.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 04-29-2018, 06:08 AM

Looks like a great addition to the guitar family, Todd - Congrats!
Old 04-29-2018, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Here she is!20180429_172333.jpg
Old 04-29-2018, 05:48 PM

Fantastic looking guitar.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I recently sold most of my electrics with the intent of staying mostly accoustic. Then I bought the 12 string Dano (see other thread) which kind of got me back into the electric thing.

My problem is that I want the twang, but I also want smooth-echoing-jazzy-reverby sounds. So, I jumped from single coil to humbuckers, then back and forth. Today I played a new Squire J Mascis Jazzmaster and it knocked my shoes off. The bridge gives me very nice twang (very surf like) and the neck gives me very smooth jazzy tones when I roll back the tone. It's almost like a cross between a tele and an LP. I fell in love instantly, and with a GC $100 off sale, it had to come home with me.

This thing really has a vibe that I never got with my teles, strats, hollow bodies, and LP-like guitars. So far, I'm really just enjoying the heck out of it!

Stock image below. Real one to come soon.Attachment 7989
Sweet! I love Jaguars and Jazz masters! Those are some of my favorite guitars.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:12 PM

Jazzmasters are fun! That anodized pick guard is cool. Offset Waist guitars are all the rage right now. When Leo Fender released these and the Jaguars he couldn't give them away. I think they were just way ahead of their time. I love my Classic Player JM. Best of luck with this new beauty and your new Dano12!
Old 05-01-2018, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Here she is!Attachment 8026
Very Nice! Does yours have the dreaded bridge intonation screws rattle?
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 05-01-2018, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

I haven't had any issues so far.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

That's great! I love my CP Jag but the intonation screw rattle was maddening. Cheap enough fix, and very easy. Glad to hear you don't have that issue. I hope you're enjoying your new addition!
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 05-01-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
Very Nice! Does yours have the dreaded bridge intonation screws rattle?
This model has the TuneOMatic style bridge mod as standard equipment.

I got one like the OP's shortly after they came out. It's a nice guitar. For someone like me that uses the neck pickup a lot, it's kind of nice to have two preset neck pickup sounds just a switch away with the unusual switching system. I found this model less prone to picking up interference than most P90 guitars I've had. I think that aluminum pickguard is an effective shield.

In theory the ToM bridge might have tuning issues with heavy whammy bar use, but in practice it's not that bad. I use modern lower tension (.009) electric strings, not the medium gauge flat wounds the original rocking bridges were designed for.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-01-2018, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

Right. As does the Classic Player Jaguar. They both have the same adjustomatic bridge with vintage floating tremolo. Fender used these bridges on a variety of Squier and Fender JM and Jags. Most are notoriously known for the terrible intonation screw rattle.

I’m surprised you don’t have more tuning issues with .09’s as JM and Jags have much better tuning stability with .11’s. Even .10’s can work with a proper setup. Typically the heavier the better on JM and Jags. At least ime.
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 05-01-2018, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

I don't use the tremolo very much and I'm not an aggressive player, so it may be that I haven't worked them loose yet. However, up until now I haven't had a buzz, rattle, or any other issues. It's just a heck of a lot of fun!
Old 05-01-2018, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

That’s great! You won’t have to use the trem to create a rattle. Some of the stock bridges Fender used intonation screws that would not stay tight after adjustments etc. and they would rattle when the guitar was played. Unplugged it’s very noticeable. So if you’re not experiencing it I’m hopeful you won’t!

Many, including me, used either blue loctite, or clear fingernail polish to keep the screws in place, eliminating the rattle. There are other alternatives as well such as the “Buzz Stop”, which many claim were more of a tonal hinderance than the screws rattling, or a swap for a mustang bridge, or more expensive alternatives such as “Mastery” bridges.

I’ve found the Guitar Fetish roller bridge to be a fantastic (and reasonable) alternative. I use .11’s, and have played in quite a few live settings since changing over and have had zero issues. No rattles, no strings jumping off the saddles (as some claim take place with roller style bridges), etc.

I’m happy that you’re not experiencing any issues with your bridge. And you’re right, they are a blast to play. I really like the vintage vibe of yours. It’s a great look.
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars