The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-23-2020, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

I have had a 100 head for a while and just picked up a mk ii head.

I haven't tried my acoustic on the mkii yet but on the mk1 it had a decent tone. I still preferred my boss acoustic singer with the acoustics

The GC employee was partially correct. In the mk ii there is an acoustic guitar modeling effect intended primarily for electric guitars.(which isn't in the mk1). There is also the acoustic amp setting.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:48 AM

Do you need to use the software with the Katana or can you get some good sounds without delving into that area? I prefer knobs myself to hidden menus.
Old 11-12-2020, 11:16 AM

You can get perfectly good sounds without the software, although the software does open up a host of possibilities, especially when it comes to effects, but also even more control of EQ and the various voices of the amp.

The 100 watt versions (1x12 and 2x12) and the Artist offer more control from the knobs panel than the 50 does, by the way (more knobs and buttons). And you also get to use the foot controller, which lets you switch presets (and you get more of those with the bigger amps), and lets you turn effects on and off individually. In all cases, you can save presets from the panel without using the software. You just press and hold a preset button and it saves whatever is on the panel to that button. So you always have a choice between the knobs themselves and a saved snapshot of the knobs.

Louis

Last edited by lschwart; 11-12-2020 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:23 PM

The Fishman has a mic channel. The Boss doesn't. I guess it depends whether or not you want to sing through it.
Old 11-13-2020, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

I found on my Katana 100w combo I preferred to run the flat top through the Clean channel with judicious EQ rather than use the Acoustic channel.
Old 01-28-2023, 08:17 AM

Default reconciling

I'd like to hear a little context on the fellow who found the katana 100 unusable as acoustic amp. Did you use it "micked in" or by itself?
Old 01-28-2023, 09:20 AM

I'm going with the 100-watt Head Katana..it just makes sense... For practice, it has a 5-inch speaker built-in...
To gig with, mic that or get a cabinet, but either way, you have plenty of power, and all the connections effect loops etc.,
You can use any amp with any guitar it all depends on what you expect in the tone department if you don't like the tone get a acoustic pedal for it
Old 01-28-2023, 10:23 PM

I have the Boss Katana 50: I bought it as I liked the idea of one amp I can use for my electric, flat top acoustic and resonator. A touch of overdrive and/or tremolo for the electric, a bit of reverb for the acoustic and resonator and a one fits all amp was appealing. The whole menu dive/preset twiddle ultimately doesn't work for me, even though I can see it's power - so try to keep the amp as flat as possible, and have a NUX MG-30 in front for my presets. Yes, I just moved my menu dive from one system to another, but the NUX is a bit easier in a live situation...still not ideal, it's a work in progress.....
I also have found the Clean channel works better than the Acoustic channel for my uses. Electric is jazz/blues, reso is slide, acoustic is flat picking or finger style, very little strumming.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 01-29-2023, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
I have the Boss Katana 50: I bought it as I liked the idea of one amp I can use for my electric, flat top acoustic and resonator. A touch of overdrive and/or tremolo for the electric, a bit of reverb for the acoustic and resonator and a one fits all amp was appealing. The whole menu dive/preset twiddle ultimately doesn't work for me, even though I can see it's power - so try to keep the amp as flat as possible, and have a NUX MG-30 in front for my presets. Yes, I just moved my menu dive from one system to another, but the NUX is a bit easier in a live situation...still not ideal, it's a work in progress.....
I also have found the Clean channel works better than the Acoustic channel for my uses. Electric is jazz/blues, reso is slide, acoustic is flat picking or finger style, very little strumming.
I think once you get it programmed the way you want into the slots you want, then you just tweak the top controls for the room you're playing in...
Basically what you're doing now but just one less piece of equipment you have to haul or buy batteries for..
My thing is I'm a tone cork sniffer LOL... I'm hoping the Katana can give me a Sweet Clean I can work off of.
Old 01-29-2023, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

I don’t use the mic channel on my Fishman, so you have my attention. What’s the difference in volume and weight?
Old 01-29-2023, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
I think once you get it programmed the way you want into the slots you want, then you just tweak the top controls for the room you're playing in...
Basically what you're doing now but just one less piece of equipment you have to haul or buy batteries for..
My thing is I'm a tone cork sniffer LOL... I'm hoping the Katana can give me a Sweet Clean I can work off of.
You make a good point - I just find tweaking the knobs (for the various fx) cumbersome and switching presets doesn't save the last state. But it's got me rethinking the whole thing for sure.

Nymuso: I don't have the specs with me, but it's about twice as big but not much heavier.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 01-30-2023, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Had the Katana 100 ver.1 Combo. Got bored with having to plug into a computer to make changes. Didn’t care for the acoustic channel at all. Got a ToneMaster Twin and pedals and a Mesa Rosette.

But.. I don’t gig. Just a retired bedroom hobbyist. If I was a working guitarist I’d try much harder to make the Boss work.
Old 01-30-2023, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedBPhx View Post
Had the Katana 100 ver.1 Combo. Got bored with having to plug into a computer to make changes. Didn’t care for the acoustic channel at all. Got a ToneMaster Twin and pedals and a Mesa Rosette.

But.. I don’t gig. Just a retired bedroom hobbyist. If I was a working guitarist I’d try much harder to make the Boss work.
I've had to figure out the Zoom G1-Four and the A1-Four so that they are somewhat usable...
So I'll give the Katana a shot but I'm not a tweaker, So once I get several usable tones I'll be done.
I'll never use the amp to its max but I just want several Very Nice Clean tone I can work off of..
Old 02-06-2023, 10:59 AM

Thumbs up

Wow, that’s good to know, I had no idea!

I bought a used Boss Katana 50 a few years ago for next to nothing, great little guitar amp for electric guitar but good for acoustic guitar as well? Excellent!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification