The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-19-2023, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
Rockwool, or Roxul, Safe n Sound mineral wool has been notoriously difficult to find for the past 2+ years near me. “Near me” is the operative phrase because shipping costs put the price out of reason.
Is this because you're trying to get 24" width batts? The 16" wide Safe-n-Sound is ubiquitous at Lowes--in stock, no minimum, both here and in Cali. Of course, if you're trying to get the Rockboard 60 or 80, those special orders do tend to come with minimums (and I had to go through a commercial supply house).

If you were to buy 16" widths, you could cut some batts in half and use to pieces to make 24". However, I can imagine that, depending on the fabric used, you would be able to see the divide telegraph through the fabric, so maybe not quite as neat a look. But it ought to function just fine.
Old 04-19-2023, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
Is this because you're trying to get 24" width batts? The 16" wide Safe-n-Sound is ubiquitous at Lowes--in stock, no minimum, both here and in Cali. Of course, if you're trying to get the Rockboard 60 or 80, those special orders do tend to come with minimums (and I had to go through a commercial supply house).

If you were to buy 16" widths, you could cut some batts in half and use to pieces to make 24". However, I can imagine that, depending on the fabric used, you would be able to see the divide telegraph through the fabric, so maybe not quite as neat a look. But it ought to function just fine.
He could also make 32" wide panels with a wood divider between the batts. That would keep things looking neat.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 04-19-2023, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Yes, I think the 23” width (for 24” panels) may be less available due to wall-stud standards. I did ponder making 32” panels, but while they would possibly make formidable gobos, it seemed they would be heavier and more unwieldy to move around, find wall space for, and store when I’m not tracking. The 16” width seemed too fussy for moveable gobos. And the last thing I wanted was to have to cut the batts to make each panel; it’s dicey enough to handle them whole. I have good dust collection but I don’t own a respirator.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 04-19-2023, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Yes, I think the 23” width (for 24” panels) may be less available due to wall-stud standards. I did ponder making 32” panels, but while they would possibly make formidable gobos, it seemed they would be heavier and more unwieldy to move around, find wall space for, and store when I’m not tracking. The 16” width seemed too fussy for moveable gobos. And the last thing I wanted was to have to cut the batts to make each panel; it’s dicey enough to handle them whole. I have good dust collection but I don’t own a respirator.
I don't think you need a pricey respirator, a disposable N95 mask is fine, according to Rockwool's safety sheet. If you haven't worked with it before, the Safe 'n' Sound can tear a bit if you're not careful, but is fairly compact and far easier to cut & work with than standard "fluffy pink". But yeah, still more of a pain to do it that way... but less pain than you're going through trying to get the 24"? Only you can decide.
Old 04-19-2023, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
I don't think you need a pricey respirator, a disposable N95 mask is fine, according to Rockwool's safety sheet. If you haven't worked with it before, the Safe 'n' Sound can tear a bit if you're not careful, but is fairly compact and far easier to cut & work with than standard "fluffy pink". But yeah, still more of a pain to do it that way... but less pain than you're going through trying to get the 24"? Only you can decide.
Well, Lucy is finally holding the football steady, so I’m all in with the 23”.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 04-19-2023, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Hope you finally get to kick that ball!
Old 04-19-2023, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Now all you have to worry about is the gobo eating tree. Good grief!

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD