The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-16-2022, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Not sure what your point is.
Since your monitor doesn't provide 100% of the Adobe RGB palette, we're not talking about simply a difference in size or resolution.
How would you know - and why would I care? I calibrate my screens using SuperCal and since I only watch my photos and videos on my screens that is good enough. (Our innate colour constancy "feature" will take care of most of the rest, IMHO.)

My point was that spending a bit more than the 120€ or so I paid will probably give you a better monitor.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 08-16-2022, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
I paid just over 10x less for a 22"-or-so BenQ 1080p monitor a few years back which at that price is perfect for me.

I'll keep my trap shut about how much I care about what Apple does or doesn't before or after the end of the year (since they surely wouldn't announce a suitable equivalent of my "vintage" MBP 8.1).
Looks like currently BenQ makes models from $125 to just over $1000

While they do make a 13 inch model MBP ,,, the "equivalency" ends there. First the current base model is $100 more than the 2011 model , If yours is a 13 " 2011 model ? (and depending on what "suitable" actually means ) then you are PROBABLY correct they do not make a MBP with that slow of hard drive, that slow of RAM, That low of base memory option, that low of screen resolution , or that short of battery life ..... juss sayin"

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 08-16-2022 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-16-2022, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
How would you know - and why would I care? I calibrate my screens using SuperCal and since I only watch my photos and videos on my screens that is good enough. (Our innate colour constancy "feature" will take care of most of the rest, IMHO.)
Your screen calibration isn't going to add colors that your screen can't produce. I'm not saying that you should care about that but it's something I care about so when you make a comparison of your monitor to mine, it's a whole lot of apples and oranges since our needs are different.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 08-16-2022, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
they do not make a MBP with that slow of hard drive, that slow of RAM, That low of base memory option, that low of screen resolution , or that short of battery life ..... juss sayin"
Yes, the MBP8.1 is a 2011 model, but I bought it as the entry-level config of the one-but fastest of the 13" range (2.7Ghz i7; the faster model would have cost significantly more than the insignificant performance gain justified). RAM and HDD have all since been upgraded in several steps.
What I meant was the won't announce a model with an equivalently powerful CPU, upgradable RAM and replaceable storage space, without an expensive crazy-high-res screen (that has to be discarded when the laptop dies) and with a decent selection of ports including a dedicated one for ethernet. I wouldn't mind paying 100€ over the amount I paid 11y ago for such a system as it should also give me at least 11y of use.

Quote:
you make a comparison of your monitor to mine
Oh, was I? My bad then

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 08-16-2022, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What I meant was the won't announce a model with an equivalently powerful CPU, upgradable RAM and replaceable storage space, without an expensive crazy-high-res screen (that has to be discarded when the laptop dies) and with a decent selection of ports including a dedicated one for ethernet. I wouldn't mind paying 100€ over the amount I paid 11y ago for such a system as it should also give me at least 11y of use.
Hum ? lets see -- First none the current MBP's have user upgradable CPU GPU or RAM so there is that difference . BUT the $1299 base model M2 13" MBP already has a more powerful and faster CPU GPU and faster RAM than even the latest Gen. intel i9 chip used in the previous MBP's
It has 8 GB of Unified RAM memory. (upgradable when ordered)
It has 256 GB storage (upgradable when ordered ordered )
The graphics portion of the M2 chip is faster and more powerful
The display is 2560 by 1600 resolution at 227 pixels per inch. and is included in the price and will support an additional 6 k external screen.
Also the sound card is significantly improved for the speakers and the Head Phone Jack

However I do not understand ,,,the " discard the screen " are not all laptop screens discarded when the laptop dies ??

You are correct on the 13" the number of ports is limited no doubt...Two TB 4 ports and the Headphone jack (another negative for me is you have to use one of the TB ports to charge) .. That alone would make look to the 14 " MBP
None of the new MacBooks have a dedicated Ethernet port The body is too thin,,,you can however use one of TB4 ports but need two adaptors for about $80 to go from TB4 to Ethernet

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 08-16-2022 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-16-2022, 02:45 PM

Default What to expect from Apple to the end of 2022

Quote:
I'm glad it works for you but for most people who are serious about audio and video, an iPad is not a viable option. The size of the screen alone would make it a no-go for me.
Your post gives me a little chuckle. There are a bunch of posts in this conversation about 13” monitors. 12” isn’t much of a step down from that. As far as “serious about audio and video” goes, I look at it a little differently. I have been using the iPad Pro for over a year now, and I wouldn’t have gone that route if I was doing projects with high track counts. Not that you can’t.

My son works in LA as a songwriter and producer. His projects typically have 60 plus tracks. I certainly wouldn’t recommend an iPad Pro for that. My projects have a handful of tracks at most, and the iPad is absolutely fine for those sorts of projects.

Certainly it is far more capable than a 8, 16, or 24 track studio of a couple of years ago.

For video, there are limitations, but also ways to work around those limitations. For example, I use Luma Fusion and the color correction tools in that program are not as good as what I was used to coming from a PC NLE. Then recently, I realized that you can color correct in Lightroom or Darkroom exactly like you can with still photographs. Color correcting that way is lossless as it just writes the corrections into the video file header. That approach is actually more precise than doing the correction in the video editor. Of course, you could do that on a Mac or PC as well, but who would think of it?

In any case, since I moved to the iPad Pro, the quality of my work has not suffered. No more so than my carpentry skills would suffer if I changed the type of hammer I used, or the make of my power tools.

I just like the portability and putting my hands directly on the screen.

The only thing I really miss is Melodyne.
Old 08-16-2022, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

We are living in a world where improvements come every six months. Hearing about the M2 coming out certainly made me think about waiting. However somewhere down the line, you just have to make a decision and jump in.

Recently, one of my dear friends who is a pro studio engineer, commented that probably the Mac studio MI Max that I just purchased was an over kill for my needs. That he had some friends with the MI mini who filled all the needs. And, he is probably right.

However later he proclaimed "but on the other hand..your computer needs will be met for the next 7 or 8 years"

Overkill or not for my needs, I find it best to always go for.... a little bit more. I never know what I will be exactly doing in the future. Having more is a Great Safety Net. Rarely do we regret spending a bit more when it promises to fulfill our needs for the future.

Occasionally I plug in my old IMAC 2009 computer. What a difference with the new Mac Studio! It has already made a huge difference in my workflow, ease of operation and time spent.
Old 08-16-2022, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
Your post gives me a little chuckle. There are a bunch of posts in this conversation about 13” monitors. 12” isn’t much of a step down from that. As far as “serious about audio and video” goes, I look at it a little differently. I have been using the iPad Pro for over a year now, and I wouldn’t have gone that route if I was doing projects with high track counts. Not that you can’t.
Did you think my problem would be about going from a 13" screen to a 12" screen? My current screen is 27" and before I bought the iMac, I had a 32" screen attached to my Mac Pro cheese grater (which I'd love to have again for the music stuff). I need that real estate. I don't need it for every project I work on but for various reasons I'm sometimes brought in on larger projects for which the limitations of a 12" screen would be a pain in the posterior lumpy bits.

Quote:
The only thing I really miss is Melodyne.
Another absolute deal breaker for me.

I have no issue at all with you using an iPad. What you use makes no difference to me. I'm glad it works for you but not everyone is you and some of us have different needs. And just because it can be done doesn't mean we should all be doing it.

YouTube
Old 08-16-2022, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Overkill or not for my needs, I find it best to always go for.... a little bit more.
If I'm going to make a mistake, I'd rather err' on the side of too much computer rather than too little computer, so I understand fully where you're coming from.

YouTube
Old 08-16-2022, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Not trying to be argumentative here but there is only one poster that mentions using a 13" MBP and he even states he also has 20" additional display

That said::
Obviously everyone is different and their workflow's are different. And no question for portable use, a laptop or tablet can be just the ticket, and I would agree there is serious work done on tablets But most importantly if a 12 in screen tablet works for you then it does, it's just that plain and simple.

Interesting, not sure what you consider "high track counts" (and again everyones work flows are very different) .

For example , my sessions generally have between 8 and 25 tracks but for me I really like having two 27 " screens and would not want to work on something smaller but that is just me.
Even when I am recording what I call my "One Shot One Take sessions with an Acoustic Guitar and Vocal recorded at the same time with a pair of mics on the guitar and 1 vocal mic (so 3 audio tracks ) I still have 8 - 10 tracks total and still I love to be able to have the edit window on one display and the mixer window on the other. And even though I have a 14" MBP with an M1 pro chip I still prefer to edit my video on my big screens

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 08-17-2022 at 06:45 AM.
Old 08-17-2022, 06:57 AM

My big thing is “leaving the cave”. The maxed out iPad Pro gives me roughly the same tools as my computer used to. The difference is that I can sit on the back porch for the bulk of the process instead of being stuck inside. I can be at a park. I can be at a coffee shop. Yeah, you can sort of do that with a laptop, but it isn’t the same…at least not until Apple incorporates a touch screen into their laptops. I don’t look at it as a small screen with a more limited set of tools. I look at it as freedom from cables, dongles, and a set of four walls.
Old 08-17-2022, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

Opps double post

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 08-17-2022 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-17-2022, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
My big thing is “leaving the cave”. The maxed out iPad Pro gives me roughly the same tools as my computer used to. The difference is that I can sit on the back porch for the bulk of the process instead of being stuck inside. I can be at a park. I can be at a coffee shop. Yeah, you can sort of do that with a laptop, but it isn’t the same…at least not until Apple incorporates a touch screen into their laptops. I don’t look at it as a small screen with a more limited set of tools. I look at it as freedom from cables, dongles, and a set of four walls.
Yes portability certainly leans towards and no doubt why they are called mobile devices .

But it is interesting (and it may simply be that I don't use one very often) I do use my old iPad 2 for it's remote transport function when I am recording, because I stand for both singing (all the time) and playing guitar ( 90%) and my mic position is about 6-7 ft from my recording desk .
But interestingly enough it is the tough screen function I am just not as comfortable with as keyboard and mouse or trackpad... But I guess thats what makes the electronics world go round
And no doubt recording is one thing and screen real estate is not much of issue
But it is the editing and mixing where more real estate shines ..
When I started home recording in 2002 I had only a 15 inch (I think) MacBook G4 but within two years I had moved to 24" iMac and have never looked back size wise for audio and video editing.

For example Here is my basic guitar + vocal session template. As you can see it is 15 tracks But that includes 8 audio tracks , 4 Folder tracks, 2 Aux tracks for outboard hardware inserts and a Master Fader track This is what I launch for any straight audio recording where there are no virtual instruments involved

Then this is what my system looks like in action == mix window on right display, and edit window on left display--- mics about 6-8 ft away from desk

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 08-17-2022 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-17-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Welll...certainly if portability and convenience are the main motivators (above performance) I'd lean towards an iPad as well. That said however, I'm guessin' the majority of folks here, in the recording section of the forum, are looking for performance, screen real-estate, storage, drive capabilities and longevity as a priority, with touch screen and portability being a caboose.

I love my iPad but it's just simply not designed to do what I do. Horses for courses I suppose.
Old 08-17-2022, 07:37 PM

Default What to expect from Apple to the end of 2022

I have also worked with both analog and digital stand-alone hardware recorders. An iPad Pro is a huge step above that. Sort of a middle ground between the simplicity of a hardware recorder and a full computer DAW. I’ve made music recordings every which way, and this is currently my favorite. Admittedly, my needs are rather simple though.

In any case, I am looking forward to M2 iPads and beyond. With 5.7K video with multiple 24 bit audio tracks that need processing, I could certainly use the power!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD