The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-01-2022, 03:36 PM

I wish Journey would still provide a presence here (they used to). I think it would be helpful to Journey to know these things because these guitars are not on the cheap end of the CF spectrum. Fit and finish should be better than this (mine had finish issues- literal fingerprints you could see under the polyurethane coat). I got a great deal from Methos used so I didn't complain much and just refinished it myself. Having said all that, I do think your particular guitar is more of an anomaly than a rule. If this were a wood guitar with more charm than anything you've ever heard in the price range it may be worth keeping, but since it is quite literally a carbon copy I think you would be safe to procure another without these issues.

I'd return it.
Old 08-01-2022, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
...I'd return it.
Just did. Told them about the nut. Hopefully Journey will get the message. But I ordered another one. Hoping for better luck this time. I'm growing to like the tone more than I dislike the low volume. I played it in drop D last night and its pretty impressive for a small guitar.

Yeah, I wish Journey would have stayed in the forum. Would have been a nice way to give some feedback. I'll probably send them an email.

In case anyone's interested, I'll update this when I get the next one in about a week.
Old 08-02-2022, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Just did. Told them about the nut. Hopefully Journey will get the message. But I ordered another one. Hoping for better luck this time. I'm growing to like the tone more than I dislike the low volume. I played it in drop D last night and its pretty impressive for a small guitar.
Did you order the newer bigger probably louder model? Cheers.
2014 Fender Concert Pro (New Hartford) - red spruce, mahogany
Old 08-02-2022, 07:09 AM

I forgot to answer your question about the Gotoh's Kevin. I actually have no idea the exact weight differences, but did take the time to check on my grams scale. I was surprised as I expected the locking tuners to weight more but the differences were negligible. I'm a fan of Gotoh 510s, so as soon as I got them on the guitar and realized they fit perfectly, I knew I struck gold.

Casual you spot on with your remarks about body size. Here is an old video featuring an OF660. While it isn't a perfect experiment because every guitar compared has either been discontinued or updated, it does give a general idea of projection out front. The RainSong is the loudest to my ear and the Journey the quietest, but not as much as one would think (using headphones). All of them sound like small guitars.

Old 08-02-2022, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualmusic View Post
Did you order the newer bigger probably louder model? Cheers.
No, I thought I'd wait to see how the FF660 turns out once its released and reviewed. In the case it ends up weighing 12 lb, as opposed to 7lb (total weight) for the L J and 7.8lb for the OF660 in the case. The FF660 case has a bunch of hardware I wouldn't use (wheels, extendable handle) which I'm sure adds weight.

Also, the FF660 lower bout is 14.5", which could be a good thing. But when in the case I have to think it ends up being 15" wide. Maybe it would pass the TSA check?
Old 08-02-2022, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I forgot to answer your question about the Gotoh's Kevin. I actually have no idea the exact weight differences, but did take the time to check on my grams scale. I was surprised as I expected the locking tuners to weight more but the differences were negligible. I'm a fan of Gotoh 510s, so as soon as I got them on the guitar and realized they fit perfectly, I knew I struck gold...
Thanks for checking. After playing the Journey more it doesn't seem as neck heavy as originally. Certainly lighter in the neck than the L J.
Old 08-02-2022, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I forgot to answer your question about the Gotoh's Kevin. I actually have no idea the exact weight differences, but did take the time to check on my grams scale. I was surprised as I expected the locking tuners to weight more but the differences were negligible...
Just looking at tuners again. Are those the normal 510s, i.e. non-locking tuners? If so, does that present a problem keeping strings wound when the neck is off?
Old 08-02-2022, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Just looking at tuners again. Are those the normal 510s, i.e. non-locking tuners? If so, does that present a problem keeping strings wound when the neck is off?
I got Gotoh 510 Midsize 3+3 (18:1) from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are not locking and work great. Actually, when Journey first started shipping OF660s they came with non-locking chrome mini Grovers, and only later made proprietary die cast locking Grover replicas. I tried them because of the price and because I thought they would be a cool idea, but honestly didn't find any benefit. This is true whether changing strings or detaching the neck. The retainer seems to hold them in place well enough that the windings are kind of "locked' into a memory and wind up around the post with no issues whatsoever. I also don't do that crazy "Martin" method with the under-over "lock". I do a hybrid of the Taylor/ Doyle Dykes method
Old 08-02-2022, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

I remembered today that I have a little wireless amp stuck away in a drawer and decided to give it a go with the Journey. Its the NUX Mighty Air, a diminutive 8W amp that comes with a wireless transmitter that plugs into your guitar:

Nux + Journey.jpg

Turns out it works really well with the Journey's pickup. No quack (its a SBT) or embellished string noise. It just sounds like a louder guitar. The Mighty Air has a bunch of amp models and effects. Plenty of power to fill a living room. So that solves the quiet issue. I don't think I'd use it all the time, but its nice now and then.

I hope I haven't given a negative impression of the Journey. I must have been complaining about it to my wife. When I was taking this picture she walked by and said "you're sure taking a lot of glamour shots of something you don't like very much". Anyway I'm coming to like the Journey more and more.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I got Gotoh 510 Midsize 3+3 (18:1) from Amazon....
Thanks. I'll check them out. I think my X-20 has those tuners. I really like them.
Old 08-03-2022, 02:58 AM

Quote:
I remembered today that I have a little wireless amp stuck away in a drawer and decided to give it a go with the Journey. Its the NUX Mighty Air, a diminutive 8W amp that comes with a wireless transmitter that plugs into your guitar:

Attachment 78409

Turns out it works really well with the Journey's pickup. No quack (its a SBT) or embellished string noise. It just sounds like a louder guitar. The Mighty Air has a bunch of amp models and effects. Plenty of power to fill a living room. So that solves the quiet issue. I don't think I'd use it all the time, but its nice now and then.

I hope I haven't given a negative impression of the Journey. I must have been complaining about it to my wife. When I was taking this picture she walked by and said "you're sure taking a lot of glamour shots of something you don't like very much". Anyway I'm coming to like the Journey more and more.
That’s a very cool little amp, especially it being wireless. I do like the sound of the OF660 plugged in. It’s a good sounding SBT that has a strong signal. I “solve” the quiet issue that same way with a Yamaha THR5 and wireless transmitter receiver.
Old 08-03-2022, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Attachment 78409

I purchased the NUX Mighty air for almost exactly the same reason. I picked it up for my Journey RT660 being too quiet.

I now also use it extensively with my
Silent guitar when I travel. The amp is so amazingly easy to carry for travel.
Old 08-15-2022, 12:11 AM

Quote:
No, I thought I'd wait to see how the FF660 turns out once its released and reviewed. In the case it ends up weighing 12 lb, as opposed to 7lb (total weight) for the L J and 7.8lb for the OF660 in the case. The FF660 case has a bunch of hardware I wouldn't use (wheels, extendable handle) which I'm sure adds weight.

Also, the FF660 lower bout is 14.5", which could be a good thing. But when in the case I have to think it ends up being 15" wide. Maybe it would pass the TSA check?

Was looking at the Journey BG003 gig bag, $99 intended for the RT660 Road Trip, and thinking it would be a lighter weight spare case to carry a new FF660 around town.

https://journeyinstruments.com/produ...stom-backpack/

And here is a non-TSA website that talks about size limits published by various airlines. I’m guessing that Journey Instruments is relying on the idea that airlines know that competitors’ allowable sizes vary a bit and limits aren’t strictly enforced unless visibly out of range.

https://tsatraveltips.us/carry-on-luggage-size/
2014 Fender Concert Pro (New Hartford) - red spruce, mahogany
Old 08-15-2022, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I'll check them out. I think my X-20 has those tuners. I really like them.
KevinH,
I also like Gotohs and have them on OF660 as well as X7. You have the option to go with mini Gotoh just like stock Emerald X7. Here is a picture of mine with Mini.

FYI, when I detach the neck for travel, I capo the strings secure to keep them orderly. It seems to help. I also have marked where the strings should be on the saddle because they do not necessarily settle back to the same spacing. Also, bridge pins on mine loosen as I lock in due to string tension. So I just put my hand on the pins as I lock in. Same with the nut; make sure to center it as you lock in. Sounds like a lot going on but you will find ways to reseat correctly one way or another.

Someone mentioned carrying with the neck sticking out of the bag. It is a great way to avoid having to finetune the strings again. Just make sure to wrap the base of the neck with a rag, otherwise you will end up scraping the neck with the zipper teeth ( Don't ask me how I know. )

For me, OF660 allows me to play/practice wherever I go and of all the music money I spent, OF660 tops all the rest as the best in money's worth... for me.
Old 08-15-2022, 07:29 AM

Oops, I am not too savy with Tapatalk. Here is the picture.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber