The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-15-2022, 10:34 AM

Default Songs "Everyone Should Know"

I started attending another mostly weekly acoustic song circle at a friend's house. I'm one of the older and more experienced players there. I really enjoy it. I usually bring a guitar for when it's my turn to call and lead a tune. The rest of the time I play fiddle or mandolin. It's kind of part jam, part group lesson/sharing.

Since many of the other players are in their 30's and 40's and grew up with different music than I did, I've had a chance to hear and learn some new (to me) songs.

I've been pulling out some of the songs I've enjoyed over the years to teach there. Some of the (overdone) classics like "The Weight" and "Pancho and Lefty." These are tunes I wouldn't perform at a gig in public (due to being overplayed over the years) but I feel every aspiring player ought to know or at least have passing familiarity with. They are also provide lesson fodder for walkdowns, passing chords, etc.

This brings me to my question. I don't want to start another "songs that are played too much" or a gig performance discussion. What I'm asking is which songs from the 60's through 90's do other acoustic players on our forum think a typical intermediocre player ought to be able to pull out at a campfire jam?
Old 07-15-2022, 10:48 AM

I'll throw one out there.

Old 07-15-2022, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

OK I'll say it, Wagon Wheel. Especially for people in their 30's. I've been to lots of weddings in that age group and they go nuts for it.

Something by Neil Young, Van Morrison, the Dead, Buffet, Springsteen, Allman Bros.-- not necessarily the ones that are overplayed, they have lots of accessible and recognizable tunes. The younger folks I know love classic rock.

Some classic country--Merle, Willie, Waylon, etc. Mama Tried is a good campfire tune. Maybe a John Prine number.

Sounds like a fun group!
Old 07-15-2022, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
What I'm asking is which songs from the 60's through 90's do other acoustic players on our forum think a typical intermediocre player ought to be able to pull out at a campfire jam?

Brown Eyed Girl
Folsom Prison Blues
Country Roads
Me and Bobby McGee
Wagon Wheel

Yes, they are all overdone, but it's a campfire singalong. Everybody will know them.
Old 07-15-2022, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Some classic country--Merle, Willie, Waylon, etc. Mama Tried is a good campfire tune. Maybe a John Prine number.
Good reminders.

Luckenbach TX
Mamas don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys
Paradise
Spanish Pipedream
Old 07-15-2022, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
...which songs from the 60's through 90's do other acoustic players on our forum think a typical intermediocre player ought to be able to pull out at a campfire jam?
I won't make any specific suggestions but will say that whatever songs you consider learning or are suggested here, there will be enough of them that you don't have to learn any that you don't enjoy playing.

That said, some songs you don't like when you hear on the radio can actually be very much different, and thoroughly enjoyable when you play them yourself. Listen to all the suggestions, try them out, then just learn the ones you like playing too.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 07-15-2022, 04:04 PM

Everyone should know how to sing...
Is This The Way To Amarillo.
( I don't but everyone else should)
Old 07-15-2022, 04:09 PM

You Ain't Goin' Nowhere.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 07-15-2022, 06:14 PM

So songs that have been popular enough that a lot of people might know it, either via original artist or lots of covers, but not overdone.

Willin'
To Live is to Fly
Wild Horses
Psycho Killer
Handle Me With Care
Free Fallin
Learning to Fly
The Waiting (yeah, I'm on a Petty kick at the moment)
Old 07-15-2022, 08:49 PM

Behind blue eyes
Hotel California
You can't always get what you want
halaulilluia how ever it's spelled
Tangled up in blue
A song for you
Oh there's lots more

Scuzzo
https://soundclick.com/Scuzzo

Electric Cowbell Project
https://soundclick.com/r/bkpli

Sorry,, it's a bit hacky, and it's all electric, new to the acoustic thing.
Old 07-15-2022, 10:18 PM

Thanks to everyone for your input. Some of those we're already doing, some are ones I'm planning to bring in, and some are great ideas I hadn't thought of.

I'm still open to more as well - I just wanted to say thanks.
Old 07-16-2022, 04:49 AM
Charter Member

Knocking on Heaven’s Door
Melissa
Ripple
Norwegian Wood
Old 07-16-2022, 10:51 AM

I was at a jam session/barbecue recently. Us old guys were the musicians but there were plenty of younger people there too. The songs that seemed to get the best reaction from the younger crowd were

My Girl, Bye Bye Love and King of the Road.

Some others that get called sometimes in our sessions and might be suitable to passing on are:

For What It's Worth
With a Little Help From My Friends
City of New Orleans
Country Roads
Greenback Dollar
Nowhere Man
Mr. Bojangles
Ring of Fire
Under the Boardwalk
You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
Homeward Bound
Old 07-16-2022, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
OK I'll say it, Wagon Wheel. Especially for people in their 30's. I've been to lots of weddings in that age group and they go nuts for it.

Something by Neil Young, Van Morrison, the Dead, Buffet, Springsteen, Allman Bros.-- not necessarily the ones that are overplayed, they have lots of accessible and recognizable tunes. The younger folks I know love classic rock.

Sounds like a fun group!
Wagon Wheel is just a great fun song. I’ll say at least every other picking party someone calls for it. Everyone knows the words after one time even if they never heard it before.
1990 Guild GF30 Bld Maple Archback
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style
Old 07-16-2022, 08:45 PM

wish you were here
nights in white satin
heart of gold
sweet home alabama

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write