The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-28-2021, 08:03 PM

Default Brand new Greenfield lost in shipping, presumed destroyed

I've been sitting on this news for a couple of weeks now, as has Michael. It's a pretty sad thing and I kinda just wanted to vent a bit a get it off of my chest to a community of people who understand how disappointing this is. After a considerable wait my new Greenfield left Michael's Montreal workshop on May 17th. It cleared customs and made its way to the shippers US clearance processing hub on May 19th. There... it remains? After a month of waiting we received news that the box is "damaged and deemed undeliverable." However no one can prove this, and Michael is still waiting for someone to produce photographic proof of damage that he can use in an insurance claim. Theft is possible, but not likely. We just don't yet know. Hell, it might turn up eventually. Who knows.

Michael, being the amazing human that he is, will begin a new guitar for me ASAP. I didn't ask for anything, he offered to do this on his own. The definition of honorable. He did everything right, and he might honestly be more upset about this than I am. We mourn together.

I'm lucky to have a few instruments being built for me, so I'm not looking for sympathy. The thing is, this Greenfield was my "if this business ever takes off..." guitar. My dream guitar. Something that's motivated me for many years. It's such a bummer. Like my new puppy died on its way home to me. Yes, I'll get another puppy, from the same breeder even, but I was so excited about that one.

I needed to tell someone that might care, so thanks for listening. I'm going to go pour a whisky now.

Matt
Kostal Jumbo
Taran Tirga Mhor
Gerber RL15.5
Old 06-28-2021, 08:10 PM

Wow, that's painful. Sorry to hear it. As bad as that is, it's equally good that he's building your new one. That is a thoughtful gentleman.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 06-28-2021, 08:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

Wow Matt. That is devastating news. There’s not much more disheartening than a third party messing things up. Best wishes for the first guitar, and if not that, then the second one. I’ll drink one for you.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 06-28-2021, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

That truly sucks…. Hopefully you will get a wonderful replacement guitar later this year and Michael will resolve the issue of the guitar in purgatory with Heritage and be made whole.
Old 06-28-2021, 09:45 PM

So sorry for your loss.

Mike's great (legendary?) workshop video is one that continues to inspire me. I have no particular connection to Greenfield guitars other than this video, but I want a Greenfield so badly I can taste it!
Old 06-28-2021, 11:06 PM

Wow! All that time, materials, effort, expertise. To be lost to who knows what? Tragic. It makes me sad.

I'm waiting on a guitar I sold to come back. It was damaged in shipping. I sent a guitar across the country only to have it returned, damaged, on my dime. I payed to have my nice guitar busted up. I hate to say it, but this seems to be happening more frequently as of recent. I wish there was a better alternative
Old 06-29-2021, 01:03 AM

That's devastating Matt, I can just imagine how gutted you are right now. Hopefully Michael Greenfield's actions in the face of it will make the next one as special in time as the initial disappointment wears off.
Old 06-29-2021, 04:02 AM

I've commissioned (and luckily received) a guitar from Michael a few years ago so know the anticipation delivery can create. Sorry for your loss. It will be worth the wait! I have a build slot in 2023 for one of his concert classicals so I'm feeling the anticipation all over again.

Cincy
Old 06-29-2021, 04:23 AM
Charter Member

First world problems, we all know.

Horrible news, all the same.

Like others, I send you and Michael both my deepest sympathy, man!

A miraculous, eleventh-hour plot twist is always possible, and that's what I hope for you.
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 06-29-2021, 05:05 AM
Charter Member

Bummer, Matt, but I'm glad it sounds like it will work out OK.
Old 06-29-2021, 05:36 AM

Awful situation. I'm sure that every person here sends his or her best wishes.
Cole Clark Angel 3, Huon Pine & silkwood.
Cole Clark Fat Lady 2 12-string, Bunya & Blackwood.
Old 06-29-2021, 05:55 AM
Charter Member

Default Sad news...

That's awful. Thankfully this seems rare, but it does happen.

I have a nylon crossover being made by Steve Eden, it was delayed because the previous instrument was "lost in transit" so he needed to jump on and make another.

Damaged is heartbreaking, stolen would be equally bad as it's doubtful the thief would have any idea quite what they had.
Martin OM-28 Authentic '31
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster
National Delphi Resonator

YouTube

Past guitars from: Mear & Gray, Tom Sands, Stefan Sobell, Dana Bourgeois, Marc Beneteau, Nigel Forster, Peter Abnett, Avalon, Lowden, Martin (vintage & modern), Gibson, Taylor, Yamaha, Fender and more...
Old 06-29-2021, 06:08 AM

Wow this is sad news..

Sorry to read this, not the way you wanted the story to end, but hopefully there's a silver lining and a day comes when you can put this in the rear view mirror.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 06-29-2021, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

I'm so sorry. That is tragic. A Greenfield, no less, and your present to yourself for all your hard work. I hope it appears in perfect condition.
Old 06-29-2021, 08:06 AM

This is bad news, but it sounds like you have the resources to investigate on your own.

I have the impression (from this thread) that you know where it is, and the condition seems to be described by someone who has actually seen it.

I'm very curious - what prevents you or someone nearby from going to the last known location and asking to see the package?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop