The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-16-2022, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

Once - terrible experience, got ripped off, blame myself as the other person was a very well-respected AGF person, so I trusted everything they said. I know everyone wants to believe everyone here is trustworthy and honest, but that isn’t as universally true as you’d want to hope - just be careful, as there is no recourse -
Old 08-16-2022, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Riley View Post
Worked well for me - communicate often and well - be honest and you should be good!
Agreed 100%

FWIW, I've done two guitar trades in TGP (one of which was no small chunk o change) and both transactions were superb. And one of them was despite a UPS snafu and the guit getting lost for over a week! Lots of timely communication, lots of clear pics, and frank discussions over this and that, and you get a good grasp of whether you want to proceed or cut bait. Remember, you are dealing with a person so know all that this entails

Edward
Old 08-16-2022, 07:55 PM

Default Trades

I have only done one trade, and the only hiccup was a crack in the rim of a semi-hollow electric guitar I received, probably from being dropped on the end pin sometime in the past. Fortunately the guitar was otherwise in great shape and was set up perfectly.
Old 08-16-2022, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Once - terrible experience, got ripped off, blame myself as the other person was a very well-respected AGF person, so I trusted everything they said. I know everyone wants to believe everyone here is trustworthy and honest, but that isn’t as universally true as you’d want to hope - just be careful, as there is no recourse -
Ugh. Sorry to hear that. I have only ever traded once. A cash sale is usually more desirable and much safer.
Old 08-16-2022, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

…yes…and a few times elsewhere on the net….no disappointments or regrets..
Old 08-16-2022, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
I wouldn't trade with private individuals here or anywhere else on the Internet. However nice people may appear, it means doing business on the basis of faith and trust with people we have probably never met. I don't need that kind of stress!
Old 08-16-2022, 09:03 PM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I wouldn't trade with private individuals here or anywhere else on the Internet. However nice people may appear, it means doing business on the basis of faith and trust with people we have probably never met. I don't need that kind of stress!
I agree with this - not only would I not trade over the internet, I wouldn’t buy, either. Even though we all like each other here at the good ol’ AGF, and many ppl here have positive experiences, I would only trade for a guitar I had already played.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 08-17-2022, 02:15 AM
Charter Member

One trade, both of us long time members. Easy peasy, as advertised on both sides.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 08-17-2022, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Sad that one has to say this. I am not faulting anyone but it's a comment upon our society that we have to consider such things. My wife once traded high end bicycles with a completely unknown person in California and they both agonized over trust concerns. Finally, they both said "The Heck with it", shipped both bikes, trusting the other completely. It worked out perfectly and both came through the experience as a bit better people, with a stronger faith in mankind. Yes, I know, the opposite could have happened.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 08-17-2022, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

I traded once…. We had exchanged several emails and had a few lengthly phone conversations until we both felt comfortable.

The transaction was smooth and flawless, not to mention , it opened my eyes and ears to Huss and Dalton.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 08-17-2022, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

I have bought a couple of guitars through AGF. Both worked out though it is spooky. I usually Google them and check their AGF history.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 08-17-2022, 08:12 AM

Haven’t actually completed a trade, but have bought and sold many and had a number of other possible transactions not quite work out for good reasons. All but 2 of my guitar transaction have been in person after enough communications to make each party comfortable getting together. Have similarly completed transactions with folks I’ve met through reverb, Mandolin Cafe, and Craigslist. Willingness to make time and travel has been helpful. I have worked possible transactions into long weekends, travel to see friends and relatives and vacations. Those trips have resulted in transactions in Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia, and Southwest Virginia, as well as near miss transactions in North Carolina. Made some nice friends along the way too.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 08-17-2022, 08:26 AM

Yes, although I must say that, at the time, I was more of an unknown commodity than he was, as he was a very longstanding, well respected member of the community and I was pretty new. I made the mistake of sending my guitar to him by ground, when he sent his to me via next day. It was just a question that, at the time, I didn’t know I needed to ask. Communication is key.

I have also traded with dealers and shops via post. The only time I have had an unsatisfactory experience in a trade was with a solo dealer. This isn’t a place to “name names”, as it were, and others report satisfactory experiences, so I hope my experience was the anomaly, but again, I can’t stress enough, better communication would have likely prevented the issue entirely.
Old 08-17-2022, 08:38 AM

One of the worst threads of all time here was a three way trade but the attorney living in Washington DC failed to send his guitar to the guy in Florida.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 08-17-2022, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
Sad that one has to say this. I am not faulting anyone but it's a comment upon our society that we have to consider such things.
I don't think it's as tragic as this - the 'sad comment on our society' thing. Doing business with strangers with no guarantees is risky and has always been risky. Even on eBay, which does have some checks and balances, I eventually had two experiences of guys trying to pull fast ones to get reductions in price after the deal was done.

No doubt in most cases it all works out, and if you're cool with it, fine. Personally, I do not want to ship a guitar or send my money out into the relative unknown and simply 'hope' that everything turns out well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion