The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-10-2022, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Default Second Monitor Options

As many of you know, I have been interested in a second monitor. The purpose being two fold; To move my plugs ins into the second monitor.
And to move my second monitor a few feet away, as I face opposite the computer when recording. I want to see the recording levels when tracking.

Alas, moving a larger monitor behind me, creates some problems.
I would need another longer power cord, as well as longer USBC cord. And that means more wires on the floor. Moving a larger monitor with long AC cord....well let us say it would not be that convenient.

And then there is the physical aspect of moving a larger screen. I would then need a larger stand that would probably get in the way of my microphone set up. Another problem is that a larger screen would take up to much area on my particular desktop. It would even block my monitor speakers(which I will not use very much anyway...but still).

So one option I looked into was a Tablet. It is lightweight and could be mounted on a screen. However I understand that there is some problems with getting tablets to work properly and I would have to use a monthly fee apt.

By accident I found out that there are Smaller monitors that are lightweight and portable. And they are powered by the USBC cable as well. Which means no Thick AC cables to get in the way. The vast majority of these screens are 15.6 inches and weight just under two pounds. Light enough and small enough to move easy and even place on a microphone stand. I would just need one longer USB-c cable which would both power it and set it into action. I was talking with my Sweetwater rep investigating the longer cable I would need. He was not aware of this type monitor and actually got a bit excited and claimed that this would work perfect for his situation as well.

Pretty sure I will be ordering one of these lightweight portable monitors in the next few days. Just waiting for Amazon prime day to see if there are any deals. I should be able to get a 1080 between $150 to $170.

There is no perfect solution. In reality, the plus of a larger monitor means I could view more plugs ins at the same time. But right now, this lightweight portable option is looking like it will best suit my needs.

Old 07-10-2022, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

So I took the lunge as amazon had a $30 off coupon and bought a KYY 15.6 inch monitor.

It was quite an adventure trying to figure out the difference in the models. There are three KYY K3 models. Two are just color differences. But the last one has upgraded to two dual USBC ports that take power and video through the single connection.

I have also learned that going more than 2 meters in cable length can cause problems. I will power my new future monitor via the Thunderbolt ports on the Mac Studio...to the USBC ports on the KYY.

Seems there is a wide difference in price between 2 meter Thunderbolt 4 and 3 cables ranging from $19 to $60.....

According to one web site.
Thunderbolt 4 handles up to 2 meters while many Thunderbolt 3 only handle 1 meter lengths.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD