The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-11-2021, 08:08 AM

Just last month, I tried to ship a foam guitar gig bag in a regular size guitar shipping box. Cheapest UPS price was $95 and USPS price $75.
I will check out the suggestion to set up UPS business account for their half price shipping discount.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:12 AM

If you are selling a guitar and need to ship it, you should collect at least $100. You can refund any unused funds.

I failed to collect enough when I sold a banjo several years ago and the difference came out of my pocket since the buyer paid what I asked. It's no good asking for more after you have been paid.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post
Be sure the box you are using does not exceed 48" in length. Longer than that radically increases the rate with both Fedex and UPS.

This! I've noticed that as well. It's worth the 10 minutes to cut and fold the shipping box shorter . . .
Old 05-11-2021, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

I only use FedEx and have a FedEx account. As others have said, sign up for an account, print it at home and the 48” thing depends on the width and length. For USPS it should be under 108” meaning 48” + 20” + 20” + 10” +10” = 108”. I use the U-line boxes which are 50” x 20” x 8” = 106”. This gives more padding on the top an bottom where I feel most of the cracks come from the shock of dropping the box hard vs the sides where the case will protect it from a crush. I also only use the StewMac shipping system which is brilliant and inexpensive.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tool...ng-system.html

Except for USPS Retail Ground and Parcel Select, no mailpiece may measure more than 108 inches in length and girth combined. Length is the measurement of the longest dimension and girth is the distance around the thickest part (perpendicular to the length). Maximum weight is 70 pounds.

Old 05-11-2021, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawmow View Post
In Canada and from USA, I used USPS : NO broker fee !
How do you ship USPS in Canada?
Old 05-11-2021, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyjimi View Post
I only use FedEx and have a FedEx account. As others have said, sign up for an account, print it at home and the 48” thing depends on the width and length. For USPS it should be under 108” meaning 48” + 20” + 20” + 10” +10” = 108”. I use the U-line boxes which are 50” x 20” x 8” = 106”. This gives more padding on the top an bottom where I feel most of the cracks come from the shock of dropping the box hard vs the sides where the case will protect it from a crush. I also only use the StewMac shipping system which is brilliant and inexpensive.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tool...ng-system.html

Except for USPS Retail Ground and Parcel Select, no mailpiece may measure more than 108 inches in length and girth combined. Length is the measurement of the longest dimension and girth is the distance around the thickest part (perpendicular to the length). Maximum weight is 70 pounds.

Im a big fan of those inflatable stewmac cushions. I always have some on hand. The downside is you do need a bigger box when shipping a dreadnought. Needs to be closer to 50".
Old 05-11-2021, 03:33 PM

One benefit I’ve found to using Reverb is that their shipping rates for UPS are lower than most of us can get directly.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
Im a big fan of those inflatable stewmac cushions. I always have some on hand. The downside is you do need a bigger box when shipping a dreadnought. Needs to be closer to 50".
Exactly, that’s why I use the StewMac inflatable system, but the Uline boxes and I always try to ship a maximum of 2x/box. I’ve received some guitars with a Raggedy Anne box that looked to be from a guitar shipped from 1980 and had made 10 cross country trips.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:40 PM

Quote:
The Canadian border is currently impervious to shipping anything. I have given up completely trying to ship anything from the US into Canada.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
One benefit I’ve found to using Reverb is that their shipping rates for UPS are lower than most of us can get directly.
I haven't shipped guitars, but I shipped a tube amp from the midwest to the west coast and it was around $25. Needless to say, I was shocked. I checked the shipping if I was going to get it myself it would have been double that. When I printed out the label from Reverb the page stated "You saved 50% on shipping" which was true in my example.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
I just received a guitar from a seller and Canada and was surprised when yesterday I got a “duty” bill from Fed-Ex for $165.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 05-13-2021, 06:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I haven't shipped guitars, but I shipped a tube amp from the midwest to the west coast and it was around $25. Needless to say, I was shocked. I checked the shipping if I was going to get it myself it would have been double that. When I printed out the label from Reverb the page stated "You saved 50% on shipping" which was true in my example.
The problem with reverb labels is that if the item is worth more than 1500 and you decide to buy the label from Reverb, they make you purchase mandatory insurance called "Safe Shipping" which makes it more expensive. If you carry 3rd party insurance you cannot opt out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion