The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-04-2021, 02:40 PM
Humanist

Default Thank you & goodbye, Dave Evans...

Dave Evans has passed away.

No articles yet, but it's verified on Facebook...

100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 04-05-2021 at 08:34 AM.
Old 04-04-2021, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

That's terribly sad. I listened to, and marveled at, his wonderfully dextrous, whimsical and melodic playing a lot in my early years as a guitar player, and Sad Pig Dance remains a regular part of my listening all these decades later.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 04-05-2021, 09:44 AM

Sad Pig was also one of my favorite discs, especially in the 1970’s. RIP.
Old 04-05-2021, 10:41 AM

My condolences to his family and friends. Thanks for uploading this, Larry. This might be the first time I've heard of him (the title you guys have mentioned sounds familiar). Definitely a talented musician. Lookit them fingers go!

EDIT: There’s not much information about him online. These links provide most of it:

https://www.npr.org/sections/allsong...erves-a-listen

https://www.last.fm/music/Dave+Evans/+wiki

Last edited by NormanKliman; 04-05-2021 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-07-2021, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretfile100 View Post
Sad Pig was also one of my favorite discs, especially in the 1970’s. RIP.
Very sad for someone so talented not to be wider known. I agree that 'Sad Pig Dance' is a very good album. What's good too is that if you buy on CD, you get a pdf of most of the music on there - thought most of it is beyond me to play! It's a shame his other albums are not widely available.
Old 04-08-2021, 03:03 AM

Default Dave Evans Guitarist and Luthier

Sad news, Dave Evans, the guitarist, who was very influential in the 70s UK folk scene, has died.

He is best known for his wonderful piece, Stagefright.

His LP Sad Pig Dances was an underground classic. I had the pleasure of seeing him play live at Cardiff University in the mid 70s.

He made his own guitars, which were unique and quirky - very much like him. He moved to Belgium where he made and repaired guitars and did pottery.

Discography

1976 Take a Bite Out of Life Riverman Music
1978 Sad Pig Dance Kicking Mule
1980 Irish Reels, Jigs, Airs and Hornpipes Shanachie
2001 The Words in Between Weekend Beatnik
Elephantasia Rif Mountain

Artist Biography by Eugene Chadbourne

The British guitarist Dave Evans, a real dazzler of a fingerpicker, has been recording since the early '70s.

His first entirely instrumental album was released in 1974. Entitled Sad Pig Dance, it might have attracted only farmers and policemen's ball attendees, but nonetheless managed to do a great deal to set up Evans' reputation in a somewhat crowded genre.

This player's compositions, particularly his harmonic frameworks, are quite different than better-known players such as John Renbourn or Bert Jansch; he sometimes sounds as if he is playing all of their guitars at once. What he is actually playing is a guitar he built himself, so any and all compliments for this unmistakably cavernous sound should go to Evans himself.

His great instrumental talents -- including techniques involving alternate tunings and percussion-like sound effects -- have continued to be an obsession among guitarists from the new age crowd to free improv noise guitar deviates; this fact tends to overshadow Evans' work as a singer/songwriter.

It was in this mode that he first presented himself to the listening public on the 1971 album entitled The Words in Between. It has been correctly pointed out by several critics that those were the days when a songwriter armed with a guitar was expected to really be able to play, not just to be a strum and humbum.

It was Evans' picking, not his singing, that attracted fellow guitarist and record label manager Stefan Grossman who, in the late '70s, began documenting a variety of guitarists including Evans on the Kicking Mule label. Most of Evans' best music from the '70s has been reissued.
Stanford Furch D1P
Old 04-08-2021, 03:09 AM
Charter Member

Multiple threads merged.
Old 04-08-2021, 05:21 AM

Very sad news indeed. Living not that far from Bruxelles, I always hoped to meet Dave in person, but it didn't happen.

Gregg Miner from HarpGuitars.net just wrote a very lovely article about Dave :
http://harpguitars.net/blog/2021/04/...40-apr-4-2021/
Old 04-08-2021, 05:50 AM

So sad, one of my favorites. I just found the tab booklet put out by Kicking mule for the "Take a bite out of life" lp. Was a great find. Had always hoped to see him live but he never came throught LA that im aware of after I discovered him in the late 90's. Wonder if Grossman has any live or unreleased material?
91 Taylor K15C Koa
Old 05-13-2021, 04:55 AM

A friend and my luthier for the last 40 years or so. A kind, generous, gentle, unassuming, entertaining and highly talented person, with many, many strings to his bow and not just musical talents.
I have not seen him so much in recent years but every time I have it has been like a continuation of where the conversation left off the previous time.

He did a perfect job of fixing my Gibson J45 a year or so back, and often worked on my vintage Gibson mandolin. Thank you so much for your friendship. RIP Dave.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic