The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-13-2021, 06:12 AM
Charter Member

Default I honestly think FedEx is collapsing

I know this sounds like bashing but look at the tracking below.

This one went from Hampton to Hagerstown to Hampton to Hagerstown to Syracuse to Buffalo.

I previously shipped something to our daughter and it went from Buffalo to Atlanta to Miami back to Atlanta to Peurto Rico then to her destination.

I ordered a guitar from California. It went from San Diego to Nashville back to San Diego back to Nashville to Chicago to Buffalo (or some such nonsense)

Either their tracking system is completely wrong at all times and they don't really know where packages are until they get somewhere (at which time they say "oh hey a package arrived lets update the tracking database"). *OR* they are actually shipping packages back and forth for some insane reason.

Knowing where your packages are shouldn't be that hard. UPS and USPS do it flawlessly. UPS even sends me a link where I can (literally) follow the delivery truck's location on a street map and watch it drive around my neighborhood. I call home and say "Hey UPS is on our street and leaving a package for me please grab it".

FedEx seems to have totally lost control of their operations which I honestly think is a harbinger of business failure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fedex.jpg (29.5 KB, 256 views)

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 05-13-2021, 06:17 AM
Charter Member

Bet ya a nickel on that one
Old 05-13-2021, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

With a market cap over $78 billion?
Old 05-13-2021, 06:29 AM
Charter Member

I wouldn't put much stock into that route feedback from them. It obviously can't be right. Also, sometimes I have two or multiple packages coming from different locations. They'll find a way of combining them at some point, and that will not show up on their tracking route either.
My experience is that they still get the job done relatively well, but are a level of professionalism lower than UPS (and USPS). Their drivers are polite enough, but they usually follow the path of least resistance when dropping off packages. At least at my house. I can find them all over the place. Also, they sometimes alert you that a package has been delivered, ahead of time. That's usually on the local driver. He saves time by checking off everyone before entering a neighborhood. I complained about that recently. Actually, I complained to the vendor, who must have contacted Fedex, because it hasn't happened since.
Overall, I still give them high marks for delivering, but, as I said, not with as much tact and polish as the others.
That's been my experience anyway.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 05-13-2021, 06:30 AM
Charter Member

Kodak
Polaroid
Borders
PanAm
Nokia
Xerox
pets.com

There is no such thing as "too big to fail"

FedEx 's service seems to have really degraded. I know they got super busy because of the pandemic so maybe too MUCH business is the problem

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 05-13-2021, 06:36 AM

I had a similar experience with a rower shipped to me. Coming from Vermont to me in Florida, it took a detour to California before making it to me. And the box had a puncture that went a good 10" into the carton. They just taped another piece of cardboard over the gash and dropped at the end of the driveway and took off before I could get out there to receive it. Luckily, the rower is all steel and suffered no damage.

It's sad because Fed-Ex once was the shipper that you could depend on. Now I will never knowingly ship anything through them, especially instruments.
Old 05-13-2021, 06:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Kodak
Polaroid
Borders
PanAm
Nokia
Xerox
pets.com

There is no such thing as "too big to fail"

FedEx 's service seems to have really degraded. I know they got super busy because of the pandemic so maybe too MUCH business is the problem
Record volume of business presents service challenges, and many of us have seen evidence of that ... from FedEx but also from UPS and USPS.

None of the businesses you cite died from too much demand.

Last edited by Mr. Paul; 05-13-2021 at 07:22 AM.
Old 05-13-2021, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I know this sounds like bashing but look at the tracking below.

FedEx seems to have totally lost control of their operations which I honestly think is a harbinger of business failure.
I agree. We hardly ever see either UPS or FedEx trucks in the neighborhood anymore. It's all Prime and small contractors with last mile vehicles.

Last edited by AX17609; 05-14-2021 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-13-2021, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

You seem to have more than your fair share of troubles. The question is, did you get your package? I've not had a package that didn't get delivered to me eventually.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 05-13-2021, 07:51 AM

They are overwhelmed with volume.

I think they are just trying to manage with the fact that people are shopping from home more than ever.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 05-13-2021, 09:26 AM

Fed Ex is in our neighborhood with deliveries literally every day and nearly the same with U.P.S.
I see nothing of what has been said here, including the “private company deliveries” which are rare.
Another example of generalizations based on limited personal experiences....my favorite pet peeve.
Based on what I see both Fed Ex and U.P.S. are doing quite well. In fact they are great!
I think I’ll star a thread that says that and claim it to be the “norm”.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 05-13-2021 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
With a market cap over $78 billion?
You never know until the stuff hits the fan...

Before its bankruptcy on December 3, 2001, Enron employed approximately 29,000 staff and was a major electricity, natural gas, communications, and pulp and paper company, with claimed revenues of nearly $101 billion during 2000. Fortune named Enron "America's Most Innovative Company" for six consecutive years.

Toys R Us was once a corporate juggernaut, controlling a quarter of the world's toy market with nearly 1,500 stores in the 1990s. The company's fortunes changed in the 21st century. Several private equity firms combined to take Toys R Us private in a $6.6 billion leveraged buyout deal in 2005. The company registered for an IPO in 2010 but withdrew the application in 2013 as sales have been declining. In 2017, Toys R Us filed for bankruptcy, with $5 billion worth of debt. The next year, the company announced plans to close all of its 800 or so remaining stores.

And the list goes on and on...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-13-2021, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

You're not really comparing Enron and FedEx, are you?
Old 05-13-2021, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
You're not really comparing Enron and FedEx, are you?
Yes. The OP was about FedEx decompensating. Enron had the appearance of a very solid company until it suddenly wasn't...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-13-2021, 09:43 AM

Might as well throw in K-Mart, Sears, Montgomery Wards, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Plymouth, Dodge, and a whole bunch of others in the churn.

Fog

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic