The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-27-2020, 11:30 AM

Default Nylon String Guitar Technique

Greetings,

I learned fingerstyle as a complete guitar beginner from www.zagerguitar.com back when he was about the only decent internet offering. His teaching method is outstanding and he both taught me how to play and also how to learn. I exhausted his lessons and quit for a long time until discovering http://profdeguitare.com/tabs-en.php

Jorge Nolla at profdeguitare plays a classical where Denny Zager did steel string. Mr. Nolla has enough beautiful arrangements to keep me busy forever. I enjoy the “pop” stuff and have no desire to play classical. Mr. Nolla just offers arrangements and how to play them with proper fingering technique with the left hand but not much about the right.

I recently purchased a Godin Multiac Nylon SA off from Reverb as I wanted nylon strings like Mr. Nolla uses, a great easy to play action, and something that wouldn’t bother my wife at night. The guitar is wonderful.

I am now letting my right hand nails grow out a bit in an effort to maximize what the nylon strings have to offer. It is readily apparent that playing with nails is quite a challenge. Mr. Nolla also uses classical left hand technique and while I started out just learning from his tabs I am now trying to learn proper left hand classical technique since his arrangements are written to be played that way.

I am enjoying the nylon string experience and want to make the most of it.
Any advice would be appreciated. Since I am not actually playing classical music I don’t know how far to go with this new and fascinating style. I don’t know if I should just wing it and figure something out or if there is good internet instruction that would be beneficial.

Thank you,

Russ
Old 01-27-2020, 01:22 PM

I highly recommend Scott Tennant's book Pumping Nylon to everyone. Especially the edition in TAB

It's great book that'll get you working on improving your right hand as well as left hand technique. It'll improve your playing no matter what guitar you play.

FWIW- there were a few small sections in the book that weren't completely clear to me, so I bought the DVD used on E-bay.

Seeing Scott demonstrate it on the DVD, cleared things up. But the DVD is not essential or complete, so you'll find yourself wanting the book.

Dave
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 01-27-2020, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

I second Dave's "Pumping Nylon" suggestion. Also do some searching to find sitting position instructions. If you don't get that down (and it's not quite as easy as you might think), you won't make much progress in playing with a true classical technique. It makes everything else possible.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:01 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I have the book with tab as well. I really should open it .

There are some videos from it on Youtube I believe.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-29-2020, 09:44 PM

Default Pumping Nylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
I highly recommend Scott Tennant's book Pumping Nylon to everyone. Especially the edition in TAB

It's great book that'll get you working on improving your right hand as well as left hand technique. It'll improve your playing no matter what guitar you play.

FWIW- there were a few small sections in the book that weren't completely clear to me, so I bought the DVD used on E-bay.

Seeing Scott demonstrate it on the DVD, cleared things up. But the DVD is not essential or complete, so you'll find yourself wanting the book.

Dave
I just read the book and realize that I have a lot to learn! Tomorrow begins the workouts!

Thanks again,

Russ
Old 01-30-2020, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesson11 View Post
I second Dave's "Pumping Nylon" suggestion.
I third it.

Try and get Scott's DVD where he explains nail shape and string approach etc. It's room 101 for getting a great sound from nylon.

Also try William Kanengiser's DVD "Classical Guitar Mastery" - he similarly goes into a huge amount of detail, including having a ginormous nail and string setup to explain exactly what is going on. It's been around a while but it's Gold.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 01-30-2020, 07:15 PM

+1 on the Kanengiser DVDs (Effortless Classical Guitar is the other, earlier one,
IIRC). He also has quite a bit of free stuff on YT, like a real good lesson on
vibrato.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical