The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-19-2021, 12:18 PM

Default Simple USB microphone?

Hello, everyone.

Can anyone out there recommend a decent USB microphone for less than $50 (or so)?

I'm not looking to dive deep into recording, but I'd like to be able to record myself playing, say, the rhythm section of a bluegrass tune, then loop it (Garage Band?), and play the melodies or noodle around over it.

I'm not much of an "audiophile" (nor do I have much in the way of speakers) so I figure something in the ~$50 range might suffice.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Cheers,

Alex
Old 05-19-2021, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

I think the lower end Blue USB mics are pretty good. The Snowball is one I've heard good things about. On Amazon it's between $50 and $70 depending on color, so not too far from your budget.
Old 05-19-2021, 04:18 PM

Under $50 is a little restrictive. The only microphone I would recommend in that range is the Blue Snowball ICE.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 05-19-2021, 04:19 PM

Thank you both. I’ll check those out. $70 isn’t too far off..
Old 05-19-2021, 04:19 PM

The Samson Go usb microphone has gotten a lot of good comments in the past.
Old 05-19-2021, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_B View Post
Hello, everyone.

Can anyone out there recommend a decent USB microphone for less than $50 (or so)?

I'm not looking to dive deep into recording, but I'd like to be able to record myself playing, say, the rhythm section of a bluegrass tune, then loop it (Garage Band?), and play the melodies or noodle around over it.

I'm not much of an "audiophile" (nor do I have much in the way of speakers) so I figure something in the ~$50 range might suffice.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Cheers,

Alex
Hi Alex…

This FiFine is pretty good sounding (samples it in video), and the room he's in is not exactly set up to record good sound.

Video starts around 2:20 & I put a link to the mic on Amazon.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-19-2021, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
This FiFine is pretty good sounding...(
A friend uses one of these for Zoom open mics and it sounds pretty good.

A word of caution - recording is a rabbit hole! This is a good way to get started, but you'll soon find yourself getting an audio interface, a couple of better mics, some studio monitors...

Don't ask me how I know!

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 05-19-2021, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
A friend uses one of these for Zoom open mics and it sounds pretty good.

A word of caution - recording is a rabbit hole! This is a good way to get started, but you'll soon find yourself getting an audio interface, a couple of better mics, some studio monitors...

Don't ask me how I know!
Hi Patrick…
Shhh-don't tell Alex. It's fine to mention mics and recording can lead to other obsessions. But some people don't want a long journey, so Point-n-shoot is just fine for them.

I currently have two digital interfaces…one is a solid Digital Mixer/usb and/or XLR output. The other is a simple 2 channel high quality interface usb or balanced output.

I have 3 Macs to interface them with (including a MacBook Pro for travel).

For mobile recording I also have a 2 channel point-n-shoot recorder I can hook to either rig and capture 44.1Hz 24 bit recordings for mixing later or welding to video.

In addition, I own a USB Mackie-USB mic which actually sounds very decent for music, and an over-ear inexpensive mic for face-to-face meetings when I'm traveling and Zooming.

Both are better than most people have (and saves me carrying my AKG 414 or Shure KSM-44 on the road).

And then there is the Logic Pro X rig for more serious stuff (and an arsenal of large, medium and small diaphragm mics).

And this is me after I cut back on gear when I shut down the studio!!!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 05-19-2021 at 07:45 PM.
Old 05-19-2021, 07:49 PM

Quote:
I currently have two digital interfaces…
Between recording and live sound I hate to tell you the amount of equipment I have acquired over the last few years.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 05-20-2021, 10:00 AM

Default Simple USB microphone?

Haha! You know, I’ve really been thinking I need another pit to throw my money into... (NOT! I already have a few of those - fishing, boating, mountain biking, kayaking, surfing... Oh, right, and a toddler! Ha!)

I *think* I’ll be able to restrain myself here, but time will tell...
Old 05-20-2021, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
Between recording and live sound I hate to tell you the amount of equipment I have acquired over the last few years.
Hi Patrick…

Yeah…I've been donating older guitar and recording gear to young players who need a start-up kit. I also gave some to a songwriting teacher for his group in a women's prison.

I'm 72½ years old and acquisition has been one of my 'gifting' apparently (according to my lovely wife of 52½ years).

I have a new digital mixer/interface I'm tracking right now coming from England - supposedly arriving by Monday.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 05-24-2021, 07:20 PM

Not to hijack the thread, but I actually came here with almost the same question… I have a little flexibility in my budget though. Any recommendations beyond the mics already suggested, without going totally off the deep end?
Old 05-24-2021, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle215 View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but I actually came here with almost the same question… I have a little flexibility in my budget though. Any recommendations beyond the mics already suggested, without going totally off the deep end?
I own an Audio Technica AT2020USB+ and it's a pretty good mic for around $125.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have a new digital mixer/interface I'm tracking right now coming from England - supposedly arriving by Monday.
What's heading your way, Larry?
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 05-25-2021, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
What's heading your way, Larry?
Hi jim…
Thanks for asking, and it's a l-o-n-g answer…

It's a Behringer FLOW 8 (arrived). The Short answer, and I'll understand if you stop here…

If you are still along for the ride…
It's an 8-Input Digital Mixer with Bluetooth Interface, iPhone or Android App Control, 60 mm Channel Faders, 2 FX Processors and USB/Audio Interface capability.

What's the difference between an interface and mixer?
USB interfaces offer limited/simple input/output controls, whereas a mixer offers ability to adjust individual input gain, master volume output, tone/eq and effects (built in) and configurable output options.

WHY DID YOU BUY THIS LARRY?
I closed my studio in 2007, and sold off all the professional (MOTU) digital 16 channel interfaces and preamps.

The FLOW 8 brings back a pro-level digital mixing/routing capability to projects, including streaming, simultaneous video/audio feeds, and live performing and configurable outboard audio recording options.

This is all a 72 yr old guy needs to happily record, stream, and utilize for pro-level events, and recordings. It's a piece of what I hope is intermediate digital mixing for home recordists.

It a bridge between elaborate digital recording gear, and home based USB interfaces.

Most USB interfaces don't provide pro features till you get to about the $500-$1000 region. The FLOW 8 is a $250 pro level digital mixer with includes the USB interface.

It's been out 9 months, and Behringer already released one update which added features (similar to what they do with their X-32 & Wing mixers).

It includes a bluetooth interface which can be controlled via an APP to my iPhone and/or iPad (or Android) where you can quickly configure (and store). Complex pre-sets can be elaborately set up and stored for instant recall.

The app is not really designed to be the mixer, but more like the screen on an X-32 where one can quickly jump between EQ, levels, effects, routing etc. It's simply and well laid out.

Faders are not motorized (wouldn't expect those for under $250), but they are solid. But they can be adjusted and displayed in the app, and overridden by the faders.

The physical meters are accurate, and technically labeled (proper meters, not pulsing lights) to allow more precise setting of input/output signals.

It has 2 effects controllers, plus you can apply 4 channel parametric to each individual input, and 9 channel parametric which can be individually applied to the 2 output signals.

I have much more I could say…but that should cover the basics.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD