The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-22-2021, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
When I went to Audio MIDI setup, the Carbon wasn't there. The solution I found online said to click on the "Assist Me" button but that wasn't there either. I'm not sure what the AVID guy did because he took over my computer and moved too fast for me to see but, like I said, he had it sorted in just a few minutes so it was a simple issue but nothing I'd ever dealt with before.

Funny ending to the story... so he gets the Carbon recognized and even set up the I/O for me because I'm slow as hell at that. He says I should have sound at that point. I engage the session that was open and nothing. No sound. He asks if I hooked up the monitors.

Doh! I didn't even look for monitor-out on the back of the Carbon. Completely forgot.

LOL well I can't say I have not done some obvious brain farts either ...
So now you are ready to rock

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 05-22-2021, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
LOL well I can't say I have not done some obvious brain farts either ...
So now you are ready to rock
Not quite. I have to get the MOTU up and running because half my inserts are not working as it sits. As I mentioned, I've been toying with the idea of moving to the Switchcraft patchbay but I'm still on the fence about it. I'm holding off on that decision until I can discuss it with a friend of mine who's more knowledgeable on these things than I am. I don't want to make an expensive mistake.

In the meantime, though, I can play around with the Carbon and get acquainted with its functions.

Also, I have to get on the phone with UA support on Monday because my the computer isn't seeing my Octo satellite for some reason. In order to get the Carbon connected, I had to move things around and the Octo no longer connects through the same TB3 port ...perhaps that's the problem but I'm not sure.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 05-22-2021, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Finally had that discussion this morning and I'm going to stick with the TRS patchbays. The changeover was just going to be too expensive. Just placed my snake order with Redco. More waiting.

edit: Redco is moving their shop this week. I'm going to be waiting a long time for those snakes I ordered.

YouTube

Last edited by jim1960; 05-22-2021 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-26-2021, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

Still waiting on the snakes but the new patchbay arrived and I tore out all the cables to rearrange the gear and I relabeled the patchbays.
Next up, I have to rearrange the bottom part of my rack where most of the gear lives.
Then I'll recable it. Lots to do.

YouTube
Old 05-27-2021, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Still waiting on the snakes but the new patchbay arrived and I tore out all the cables to rearrange the gear and I relabeled the patchbays.
Next up, I have to rearrange the bottom part of my rack where most of the gear lives.
Then I'll recable it. Lots to do.

Nice, I see the mic pre XLR in's on top and then are 500 series all pre's or mixed gear

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 05-27-2021 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-27-2021, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Nice, so are the Mic Pre's in 500 series ?
Only the API 312 pair is 500 series, the other pres are in the lower rack. The XLR patchbay above the three TRS bays is a pass through for the mic pre inputs. None of my pres has front panel access so rather than having to spin the rack around to connect a mic, I had Redco build that panel for me. It has XLR female connectors on the front and XLR male connectors on the back. I patch the back to the back of the mic pres. It gives me connections to my all my pres from the front of my rack.

On that top TRS patchbay are the outs from the pres. If I'm not using anything but the mic pre, I just patch the output into one of the channel inputs in the middle TRS patchbay. If I want to record something through a compressor or an eq, I patch it from the top row of that TRS patchbay into the gear inputs in the bottom row of the lowest patchbay. Then the output of that piece of gear from the middle TRS patchbay into a free channel on the middle TRS patchbay.

It sounds convoluted but it's pretty simple and organized. All my mic pre inputs are on the XLR patchbay.
All my mic pre outputs are on the top TRS patchbay which is set to "thru."
The middle TRS patchbay has all the outputs from my outboard gear along the top row, and all the inputs for my channels (Carbon and ADAT) along the bottom row.
The lower TRS patchbay has all the outputs for my channels along the top row, and all the inputs for my outboard gear along the bottom row.
All the connections on the bottom two patchbays are set to "normal."

YouTube
Old 05-27-2021, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Only the API 312 pair is 500 series, the other pres are in the lower rack. The XLR patchbay above the three TRS bays is a pass through for the mic pre inputs. None of my pres has front panel access so rather than having to spin the rack around to connect a mic, I had Redco build that panel for me. It has XLR female connectors on the front and XLR male connectors on the back. I patch the back to the back of the mic pres. It gives me connections to my all my pres from the front of my rack.

On that top TRS patchbay are the outs from the pres. If I'm not using anything but the mic pre, I just patch the output into one of the channel inputs in the middle TRS patchbay. If I want to record something through a compressor or an eq, I patch it from the top row of that TRS patchbay into the gear inputs in the bottom row of the lowest patchbay. Then the output of that piece of gear from the middle TRS patchbay into a free channel on the middle TRS patchbay.

It sounds convoluted but it's pretty simple and organized. All my mic pre inputs are on the XLR patchbay.
All my mic pre outputs are on the top TRS patchbay which is set to "thru."
The middle TRS patchbay has all the outputs from my outboard gear along the top row, and all the inputs for my channels (Carbon and ADAT) along the bottom row.
The lower TRS patchbay has all the outputs for my channels along the top row, and all the inputs for my outboard gear along the bottom row.
All the connections on the bottom two patchbays are set to "normal."
Actually I get what you are saying and it sounds pretty organized
So the 500 Neve 542's , are a compressor pair ? What are the Elysia pair ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 05-27-2021 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Actually I get what you are saying and it sounds pretty organized
So the 500 Neve 542's , are a compressor pair ? What are the Elysia pair ?
The 542s are tape emulators. I'm not sure what's in that little box but they're fairly heavy given their size. It offers quite a bit of control to sculpt the effect you want and the blue and red "silk" options can be quite nice sometimes. The Neve site describes it better. These were the first 500 units I picked up when I finally bought a chassis. The reason was partly curiosity and partly because I got a great deal on them at a price low enough that I'll make a few bucks if I decide to sell them.

The Elysia unit is the X-Filter eq. It has dented pots and I bought it hoping it might be a good mastering eq and an alternative to the UAD Curve Bender plugin I use all the time. It didn't turn out to be that but it's a nice eq. However, it's yet another piece of hardware with a less than intuitive layout. Instead of laying out the bands horizontally, they laid them out in corners. The lows are in the top left, the lower mids in the bottom left, the upper mids in the top right, and the highs in the bottom right. It would have made more sense, imo, to have had the gain and frequency knobs on vertical planes like this...
Low Gain - Low Frequency
Low Mid Gain - Low Mid Frequency
Upper Mid Gain - Upper Mid Frequency
High Gain - High Frequency
To my brain, that's a more intuitive layout.

The unit also has a power button (something most 500 units don't have). I appreciate them adding that but in an effort to be as minimally intuitive as possible, they labeled the power button "Hit It!" instead of "Power" or "On/Off" or "Bypass." When I first put this in my rack, I thought I got a defective unit because it wouldn't power on. Nothing wrong with the unit, I just didn't recognize the "Hit It!" button as a power button.

YouTube
Old 05-27-2021, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Got the rack reorganized. All the stuff I need to get eyeballs a bit closer to are in a better position now. Next up, re-cabling the whole thing but that is a lot easier since I started labeling all my cables at both ends so I know exactly what goes where.

Some gear I own isn't racked right now because I don't have the room ...AudioScape 76A pair and Hardy M1 pre. I'm really looking forward to having a proper desk one day. This Zaor would suit me well.

YouTube

Last edited by jim1960; 05-27-2021 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-28-2021, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

Redco just shocked me. The 4 snakes I need to hook up the MOTU have shipped. Fun stuff ahead!

YouTube
Old 05-29-2021, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Redco just shocked me. The 4 snakes I need to hook up the MOTU have shipped. Fun stuff ahead!

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 05-29-2021, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

They're on the truck for delivery today. I'll be wiring up the MOTU today or tomorrow. Then I'll have to figure out how to get it working with the Carbon ...that's the hard part.

YouTube
Old 05-29-2021, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I was also surprised with my last order from Redco; 8 custom cables of various designs shipped in a week from order.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 05-30-2021, 06:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
They're on the truck for delivery today. I'll be wiring up the MOTU today or tomorrow. Then I'll have to figure out how to get it working with the Carbon ...that's the hard part.
I have never had a 3 rd party interface or multiples, so only from what I have read. I think the only trick will be to select the Carbon as the clock source and slave the MOTU to that (which I would think would be listed in the MOTU manual) ?

Then ::
IF the MOTU drivers are compatible with your OS and PT versions, then it's my understanding that the MOTU will automatically show up in the I/O Matrix as being the other 16 channels ? At least for 44.1 and 48 k
What I am curios about is,,, what shows in the matrix if you select 88.2 or 96 K for the session , are the other 8 just grayed out ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 05-30-2021, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
What I am curios about is,,, what shows in the matrix if you select 88.2 or 96 K for the session , are the other 8 just grayed out ?
Someone over at the DUC board who is running the same pair as I am, said that's exactly what happens. If I open a 96K session, the last 8 channels get grayed out.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD